BDU Wing Sleeve Patch

Started by Jesse Wilson, May 01, 2010, 11:18:29 PM

a2capt

Is that a recent version of it, or did that always have the 'US' in it?

Nilsog

That is what Vanguard has for overseas units. I haven't seen one with the USAF Aux instead of the US.
Kenneth Goslin
1st Lt., CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on May 09, 2010, 02:49:01 PM
Is that a recent version of it, or did that always have the 'US' in it?

That patch was the olde national shoulder patch, which was replaced in the '50s by the individual wing patches. It was brought back some time later (date uncertain) as the shoulder patch for the overseas units. It has not changed, AFAIK. Mine, from the late '80s, look just like that, US and all.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on May 09, 2010, 07:36:32 PM
That patch was the olde national shoulder patch, which was replaced in the '50s by the individual wing patches. It was brought back some time later (date uncertain) as the shoulder patch for the overseas units. It has not changed, AFAIK. Mine, from the late '80s, look just like that, US and all.
On a historical note, the original patch had a red border to the tab portion. The overseas version has the red tab with a blue border.

If you find one with the red border tab, it's a valuable collectable (especially in a historical sense).

alamrcn

All of the cut (flat) edge National shoulder patches with the red "Civil Air Patrol" tab had red boarders on just the tab part. Blue on the disk part.

The ones with the blue merrowed (round) edge are only for the overseas cadet units, in place of a state wing patch.

The ones without "US" below the triangle on the blue disk are from 1942, and VERY uncommon. The reason the "US" was quickly added to the uniforms and aircraft was discussed in about a 20-page thread here about two years ago.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota