BDU Wing Sleeve Patch

Started by Jesse Wilson, May 01, 2010, 11:18:29 PM

mynetdude

Quote from: Rotorhead on May 02, 2010, 06:13:29 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on May 02, 2010, 05:35:09 PM
I remember when wing patches became optional although I also continue to see/read/hear that when on a DoD USAF base you are subject to their rules (as determined by the base commander) as to what patches you may wear other than the required patches on your uniforms.

Cite the reg, please.

Been digging, so far I can't find any reference as to such though I do remember seeing it somewhere. In fact, IIRC a former member from another squadron I used to be went to RSC at Travis AFB he was required to wear the wing patch after it was made optional.

So far I am looking at M39-1 March 2005 (that seems to be the newest??? And I always download the regs every quarter) I can't find anything that says wing patches are optional either with the exception it says that wing patches are NOT worn with AF new style service coat but it says its worn on the light blue shirts and BDU blouses as well as field jackets, etc.

RiverAux

Try looking in ICLs for this regulation for the wing patch stuff. 

Though you still won't find anything giving base commanders any authority over our uniform. 

They could certainly say that they don't want CAP members in a certain uniform coming on their base as part of their authority to control base access, but they can't require members to modify approved CAP uniforms.  For example, they couldn't say, "CAP members must wear a red ball cap with the BDU uniform when on my base" but they could say that "only CAP members in CAP corporate uniforms are allowed access on my base.  No AF-style uniforms allowed".  However, I've never heard of that happening. 

mynetdude

Quote from: RiverAux on May 02, 2010, 07:24:42 PM
Try looking in ICLs for this regulation for the wing patch stuff. 

Though you still won't find anything giving base commanders any authority over our uniform. 

They could certainly say that they don't want CAP members in a certain uniform coming on their base as part of their authority to control base access, but they can't require members to modify approved CAP uniforms.  For example, they couldn't say, "CAP members must wear a red ball cap with the BDU uniform when on my base" but they could say that "only CAP members in CAP corporate uniforms are allowed access on my base.  No AF-style uniforms allowed".  However, I've never heard of that happening.

River,

Generally when something doesn't exist and its known regulation of course it would be in an ICL. Doesn't the index show a list of ICLs? (unless the ICL is extremely recent).

As for what you said about base commanders, that makes sense I have heard differently but then again if the USAF gods authorized it I don't see why a base commander would force you as a CAP member to modify your approved uniform other than stipulating which uniforms you can wear on base.

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on May 02, 2010, 06:08:17 PM
although I also continue to see/read/hear that when on a DoD USAF base you are subject to their rules (as determined by the base commander) as to what patches you may wear other than the required patches on your uniforms.
Oh god, how did this rumor get started?  Guess we'll have to deal with totally wrong belief for the next 60 years.

It is a mis interpetation of USAF AFIs.

Quote from: AFI 36-2903 Table 1.3NOTES:
1. On other Services' installations, comply with order of dress for that Service, within Air
Force standards.
2. TDY personnel will comply with local policies established at each TDY location, within
Air Force standards.
3. Those choosing to wear civilian clothing will ensure it is neat, clean, and warm enough for
in-flight operations and appropriate for the mode of travel and destination. Examples of
inappropriate clothing include: ripped, torn, frayed, or patched clothing; tank tops, shorts,

Note 2 says that TDY personnel will comply with local policies....but it seldom is ever enforced.

Either way......it has no application to CAP in anyway, shape or form.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: mynetdude on May 02, 2010, 07:20:58 PMBeen digging, so far I can't find any reference as to such though I do remember seeing it somewhere. In fact, IIRC a former member from another squadron I used to be went to RSC at Travis AFB he was required to wear the wing patch after it was made optional.

Was the member in question a California Wing member? California Wing requires the wing patch to be worn.

mynetdude

Quote from: PHall on May 03, 2010, 12:32:47 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on May 02, 2010, 07:20:58 PMBeen digging, so far I can't find any reference as to such though I do remember seeing it somewhere. In fact, IIRC a former member from another squadron I used to be went to RSC at Travis AFB he was required to wear the wing patch after it was made optional.

Was the member in question a California Wing member? California Wing requires the wing patch to be worn.

nope

ßτε

The only uniform in CAWG requiring a wing patch is the CAWG Ground Team Uniform.

a2capt

The previous CAWG 39-1 supplement had this:

(The current one doesn't have any of it, and only deals with the orange GT stuff. )

QuoteFigure 6-14 (Added) Placement of the California Wing Patch. The California Wing Patch is worn so that the center of the top edge of the patch is 3/4 inch below the shoulder seam.
On jackets that have epaulets, center the patch below the epaulet. On garments without epaulets, place the patch so that the top center edge of the patch is 3/4 inch below the highest point of the shoulder seam as worn.
The patch will be worn on the optional Ground Team uniform, BDU, Field Uniform, CAP Utility Uniform and all flight suits.
The California Wing Patch will be removed from the blue Air Force shirt and all Air Forceouter garments except BDU and green flight suit/jacket by 31 July 2006.

So the question begs, does it remove all what this supplement said, or is it in addition to? The opening sentence could be construed either way...

PHall

Quote from: a2capt on May 03, 2010, 02:08:52 AM

The previous CAWG 39-1 supplement had this:

(The current one doesn't have any of it, and only deals with the orange GT stuff. )

QuoteFigure 6-14 (Added) Placement of the California Wing Patch. The California Wing Patch is worn so that the center of the top edge of the patch is 3/4 inch below the shoulder seam.
On jackets that have epaulets, center the patch below the epaulet. On garments without epaulets, place the patch so that the top center edge of the patch is 3/4 inch below the highest point of the shoulder seam as worn.
The patch will be worn on the optional Ground Team uniform, BDU, Field Uniform, CAP Utility Uniform and all flight suits.
The California Wing Patch will be removed from the blue Air Force shirt and all Air Forceouter garments except BDU and green flight suit/jacket by 31 July 2006.

So the question begs, does it remove all what this supplement said, or is it in addition to? The opening sentence could be construed either way...

The current CAWG Supplement is dated last month and you will note it does say that the wing patch is worn on the BDU.

a2capt

Heck, it barely even mentions BDU, only for cadets, and it's not even signed by the Wing CC.

There's sure a lot in the previous supplement that got "dropped" then.

ßτε

The quote is from the obsolete CAWG supplement (1 Apr 06). The current supplement (11 April 2010) does not have the last two lines.

QuoteTable 6-4, Item 21 Added. Because of its unusual design, the California Wing patch is placed so that the center of the top edge of the patch is ¾ inch below the shoulder seam. Such placement keeps the protruding wing tips from overlapping the seam. On garments with epaulets, center the patch below the epaulet. On garments without epaulets, place the patch so the top center edge is ¾ inch below the highest point of the shoulder seam as worn.

ßτε

Quote from: a2capt on May 03, 2010, 02:08:52 AM
What you (and others) may not know is that CAWG Supp 1 to CAPM 39-1 dated 1 Apr 06 was rescinded 15 July 2008, according to CAWG Supp. 1 to CAPI 0-2 dated 15 July 2008. Since that date there had been no CAWG supplement to CAPM 39-1 in force, until 11 Apr 2010.

Eclipse

Quote from: mynetdude on May 02, 2010, 07:20:58 PM
I remember when wing patches became optional although I also continue to see/read/hear that when on a DoD USAF base you are subject to their rules (as determined by the base commander) as to what patches you may wear other than the required patches on your uniforms.

Cite the reg, please.

Been digging, so far I can't find any reference as to such though I do remember seeing it somewhere. In fact, IIRC a former member from another squadron I used to be went to RSC at Travis AFB he was required to wear the wing patch after it was made optional.

So far I am looking at M39-1 March 2005 (that seems to be the newest??? And I always download the regs every quarter) I can't find anything that says wing patches are optional either with the exception it says that wing patches are NOT worn with AF new style service coat but it says its worn on the light blue shirts and BDU blouses as well as field jackets, etc.

Try the knowledgebase

The original ICL and change is dated March 2006, and is referenced again in the Jan 2008 roll-up:
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/2008_01_25_Uniforms.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

mynetdude

Quote from: Eclipse on May 03, 2010, 02:07:15 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on May 02, 2010, 07:20:58 PM

Cite the reg, please.

Try the knowledgebase

The original ICL and change is dated March 2006, and is referenced again in the Jan 2008 roll-up:
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/2008_01_25_Uniforms.pdf

I found it already, I created a separate folder just for ICLs on my flash drive :)

Spike

So.....I didn't read the whole thread, ripped my Wing Patch off my BDU's, and now my Squadron Commander yelled at me.  I have to sew it back on tonight.  What the Crap?!?!?! 

hahahhahahhahahahaha...........  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

mynetdude

Quote from: Spike on May 03, 2010, 05:31:36 PM
So.....I didn't read the whole thread, ripped my Wing Patch off my BDU's, and now my Squadron Commander yelled at me.  I have to sew it back on tonight.  What the Crap?!?!?! 

hahahhahahhahahahaha...........  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Seriously? I hope you weren't that gullible as I might be? :P

DBlair

Quote from: Jesse Wilson on May 01, 2010, 11:18:29 PM
I've attended NESA before, and have recieved a patch from that activity, it is currently on the left breast pocket of my BDU's. But I have heard this from Cadets as well as Senior Members that I am able to put my NESA patch where my Wing Patch would normally be, since it is a "National Patch" according to them... I'd expect not, but I'd like to have a straightforward answer please.

Thank all!

C/MSgt Wilson,

To clarify the discussion which is now taking a different direction regarding the topic at hand...

To answer your question: Yes, here in Florida Wing, you can wear the NESA patch in place of a Wing Patch. It is proudly displayed on my BDUs and if you would like me to email you the Wing Commander's authorization memo, send me your email address in a Private Message.

(Former NESA Deputy Commander)
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Jesse Wilson

Thank you very much for all your input everyone, it helped alot! :)
C/MSgt Jesse Wilson
SER-FL-011
Group VI, FLWG
Group VI CAC Recorder

Nilsog

I have a question that would fall into this thread appropriately... I think...

What is the category of this patch? Could it be optionally worn instead of the wing patch?
Kenneth Goslin
1st Lt., CAP

SarDragon

No. That is the "wing patch" for overseas cadet units.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret