BDU Wing Sleeve Patch

Started by Jesse Wilson, May 01, 2010, 11:18:29 PM

Jesse Wilson

I've attended NESA before, and have recieved a patch from that activity, it is currently on the left breast pocket of my BDU's. But I have heard this from Cadets as well as Senior Members that I am able to put my NESA patch where my Wing Patch would normally be, since it is a "National Patch" according to them... I'd expect not, but I'd like to have a straightforward answer please.

Thank all!
C/MSgt Jesse Wilson
SER-FL-011
Group VI, FLWG
Group VI CAC Recorder

Rotorhead

Next time someone tells you that, ask them to cite the reg that allows it.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

a2capt

It may be a National (activity) patch, but it's not a unit patch of a wing level, let alone even a unit patch.

Would it make sense to pitch a unit patch location for an activity patch?

"Show me the regulation".. 95% of these "someone told me.." go away at that point.

JC004

Quote from: a2capt on May 02, 2010, 12:14:38 AM

flight suit?

lordmonar

It may be a National (activity) patch, but it's not a unit patch of a wing level, let alone even a unit patch.

"Show me the regulation".. 95% of these "someone told me.." go away at that point.

The NB gave wing commanders the authority to allow swapping out National Activity patches for the wing Patch....read that as PAWG is allowed to wear their HMRS patch on their shoulder.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on May 02, 2010, 01:42:28 AM

The NB gave wing commanders the authority to allow swapping out National Activity patches for the wing Patch....read that as PAWG is allowed to wear their HMRS patch on their shoulder.

But it's still "show me the reg". It should be in the Wing Supplement to CAPM 39-1, otherwise, it's just a rumor.

JC004

Quote from: PHall on May 02, 2010, 02:26:10 AM
But it's still "show me the reg". It should be in the Wing Supplement to CAPM 39-1, otherwise, it's just a rumor.

BAHAHAHAHA.  YOU try getting PAWG to write something down.

I spent 3 years as webmaster before running away.  For that time, I continuously had the delight of dealing with the members who were looking for written documents on the latest "I heard."  It drove me INSANE. 

PHall

Quote from: JC004 on May 02, 2010, 05:09:29 AM
Quote from: PHall on May 02, 2010, 02:26:10 AM

BAHAHAHAHA.  YOU try getting PAWG to write something down.

I spent 3 years as webmaster before running away.  For that time, I continuously had the delight of dealing with the members who were looking for written documents on the latest "I heard."  It drove me INSANE.

Hey, thems the rules. It may be okay for the Wing CC to ignore them. But you just know as soon as one of us decides to ignore them...

Fuzzy

QuoteMEMORANDUM FOR: ALL FLORIDA WING MEMBERS

13601 SW 176th St
Miami, FL 33177-2502

SUBJECT: FLWG POLICY LETTER 06-02 RESCINDED

1. Effective immediately, FLWG Policy Letter 06-02 "FLORIDA WING PATCH" requiring the wear of the FLWG patch on the left sleeve of the BDU/Utility uniform is rescinded.
2. IAW "Changes to CAPM 39-1, CAP Uniform Manual" dated 15 March 2006, "Wing/Region/National patches are now optional on BDUs, flight suits, CAP field and utility uniforms".

3. As a result of National Board action, certain school/activity patches may be worn on the left shoulder. The following patches are approved for wear ½" below the left shoulder seam:

a. National Emergency Service Academy
b. National Flight Academy
c. Cadet Officer School
d. National Honor Guard Academy
e. Hawk Mountain Ranger School
f. Blue Beret
g. Air Force Space Command Familiarization Course
h. Pararescue Orientation Course

CHRISTIAN F. MOERSCH, Col, CAP
Commander

This?
C/Capt Semko

capchiro

I would say that makes it okay for Florida, but unless your wing puts something out in writing, I wouldn't do it.  That said, if you are from Florida and do that, you may want to carry the letter in your pocket if you are attending anything outside of your state, or risk having to remove the patch.. JMHO as usual..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Rotorhead

I don't think this kind of divisiveness (or dare I say it, elitism) helps unit cohesion at all.

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

Fuzzy

One of my blouses has the NFA patch on the shoulder. I've worn it outside the wing without issue.

Most guys I know don't wear the FLWG patch or anything. The new patch is a shield shaped design that is decidedly lame on the shoulder. Athough I think its a sharp design, the shield just looks strange where we have to put it.

Its been a non-issue so far. I sorta like it, lets me wear one of the special acts patches without adding to the number of patches on the uniform.
C/Capt Semko

JoeTomasone

Quote from: capchiro on May 02, 2010, 01:12:44 PM
I would say that makes it okay for Florida, but unless your wing puts something out in writing, I wouldn't do it.  That said, if you are from Florida and do that, you may want to carry the letter in your pocket if you are attending anything outside of your state, or risk having to remove the patch.. JMHO as usual..

The FLWG/CC was quoting a National Board action, which is binding on all Wings.   I saw it published somewhere, just can't find it at the moment.

RiverAux

If I recall correctly the wing commander can still require the wing patch if they'd like.  Not sure that clause was written as clearly as it might have been to indicate whether the option was up to the individual member or the wing.

lordmonar

Quote from: capchiro on May 02, 2010, 01:12:44 PM

BS.

"My commander told me told is good enough for anyone not in my chain of command" End of story.

My commander may be wrong....but that is the thing about chain of command.....if they are not in YOUR chain of command their opinions do not count.  Be respectful and direct them to your commander and move on.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

mynetdude

I remember when wing patches became optional although I also continue to see/read/hear that when on a DoD USAF base you are subject to their rules (as determined by the base commander) as to what patches you may wear other than the required patches on your uniforms.

I have not had an issue going on base without wing patch WAWG since almost every member of WAWG wears their wing patch (not sure if they are required to) as I am not from WAWG and doesn't mean I won't have issues at other bases.

arajca

Quote from: mynetdude on May 02, 2010, 05:35:09 PM
I remember when wing patches became optional although I also continue to see/read/hear that when on a DoD USAF base you are subject to their rules (as determined by the base commander) as to what patches you may wear other than the required patches on your uniforms.
Perhaps, but how many of them (or their staff) know what is and what is not required on CAP uniforms?

Eclipse

We are an independent organization from the USAF and not subject to base rules regarding what we can have on our uniforms .  The USAF's input into our uniforms has a specific process flow which does not include random DOD facilities on the
whims of local CC's.

I can't imagine a base commander anywhere who would remotely care about any approved insignia on our uniforms, with the caveat that CAP is obviously not going to approve anything illegal, immoral, or which advocates the overthrow of the government.

The only thing I could see would be an offensive moral patch that came into the gunsights of a base commander, but the odds of that are so small as to be zero.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

although I also continue to see/read/hear that when on a DoD USAF base you are subject to their rules (as determined by the base commander) as to what patches you may wear other than the required patches on your uniforms.
Oh god, how did this rumor get started?  Guess we'll have to deal with totally wrong belief for the next 60 years. 

Rotorhead

Cite the reg, please.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ