Cadet Enrollment in AFIADL 13

Started by PhoenixRisen, April 18, 2010, 02:50:39 AM

PhoenixRisen

I received an automated e-mail from NHQ not too long ago that discussed the phase out of the AFIDAL course in favor of the new OBC, and how the new OBC does not meet the requirements for the Eaker Award.  Due to some personal stuff, I'm not sure if I'll be able to attend COS or RCLS, and would like to knock out the AFIADL 13 course.  (If things turn around later, I would definitely apply for an in-house school.)

Are there any Cadets here who have completed it?  I've researched quite a few threads here on the subject, and from what I can see, some are referring to it being online, or do they still mail it to you?  Could someone give me a basic run down as to what the current procedure is?

I'm also curious as to what rank a Cadet would list... There is no "Civilian" or "Cadet" selection...

Also, it says that a copy of the PDF registration form should be CC'd do your wing commander and wing TCO, but... the registration form is now online...

That's about all I can see that I'm not clear on.  If there's anything a Cadet should know about taking this test, please advise!

MIKE

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on April 18, 2010, 02:50:39 AM
I'm also curious as to what rank a Cadet would list... There is no "Civilian" or "Cadet" selection...

When I took it the form had C10 or something to represent individual cadet grades.  Don't know about the current form, if it changed.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

A timely, related not today on the CadetBlog RSS:

Cadets must complete a Leadership Academy to qualify for the Eaker Award.  This requirement is met by attending Cadet Officer School, a Region Cadet Leadership School, or through the correspondence course AFIADL-13. Professional Development has now introduced the Officer Basic Course as a replacement to AFIADL-13. The new OBC program will not fulfill the leadership academy requirement.  Once AFIADL-13 is no longer available, the requirement will have to be fulfilled by completing either COS or RCLS.

We have extended the deadline to enroll in AFIADL-13 until 1 July. Members enrolling in AFIADL-13 have 1 year from their enrollment date to complete the course. Go to the Distance Learning Courses web site for more information and to enroll in AFIADL-13. 

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_university/au_a46_students__usaf_dl.cfm

"That Others May Zoom"

PhoenixRisen

I tried reading through the reg pertaining to it, as well as poking around the AU site, but a lot of it is incredibly difficult to understand.

I'm still confused as to whether it is an online test, something administered by a wing-level TCO, or local squadron TCO.  (As well as my previous listed questions.)

Eclipse

ECI-13 is a home-study course which has a follow-up, closed-book test proctored by your unit TCO or similar designate.

You sign up for the course, will receive course materials by mail, and when ready order the test which makes its way to you
through the Wing's TCO chain.

"That Others May Zoom"

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Eclipse on April 18, 2010, 05:02:39 AM
ECI-13 is a home-study course which has a follow-up, closed-book test proctored by your unit TCO or similar designate.

You sign up for the course, will receive course materials by mail, and when ready order the test which makes its way to you
through the Wing's TCO chain.

Roger, thank you.

a2capt

The form 23 is a PDF that is filled out, and you press that button on the bottom of it, and it packages itself up and links to your email application as an attachment and you are enrolled when you receive the books in the mail.  You have up to 12 months to complete it, that is, make the request for the test.

the test will get sent to CAWG, who will then forward it to your unit.

Make sure to put the correct "shred" code on the form, the information is available in the Excel document that is linked near the AU Form 23.

Or bug me if you can't find it, and I'll get you the right number. You'll not get your test., if not get your enrollment kicked back.

The materials are four volumes plus the Tongue and Quill, your cadet materials should also be a good foundation for it. There is a list of corrections that need to be made in the materials, do those.. first.

Pylon

Actually, as of very recently, the PDF Form AU 23 is also gone.  It's now a web-based form on the AU 4/6 website. 

As mentioned by a2capt, you need the shred code for your Wing HQ.  It's available on the Excel spreadsheet at the AU 4/6 website or on the CAP webpage regarding AU 4/6 course signups.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

PhoenixRisen

Roger that.  Thank you, gentlemen.  I will register for the course in the coming days; I've got a bit of school I'm concentrating on at the moment.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on April 18, 2010, 08:17:34 PM
Roger that.  Thank you, gentlemen.  I will register for the course in the coming days; I've got a bit of school I'm concentrating on at the moment.

I have been putting off registering, as I'm still busy with school, but would like to do so soon.  However, I am still trying to figure out what to put for the Rank selection.  There is nothing that fits a CAP cadet's status...

WheelsUp

I don't recommend anyone taking the old 00013 course - wait for an on-line slot.

I attempted the old-version paper course, and could not get through Volume 1 because it was rife with historical errors (most blatantly, it said the Discovery was the shuttle destroyed in 1986). The thing was horribly edited, too. I'm not saying that to hurt anyone's feelings - just stating a fact.

Air University was good enough to disenroll me and get me a slot for the online course...my advice is to hold on until you can do same.
ES Training Officer/Mission Scanner

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: WheelsUp on May 12, 2010, 02:29:41 AM
I don't recommend anyone taking the old 00013 course - wait for an on-line slot.

I attempted the old-version paper course, and could not get through Volume 1 because it was rife with historical errors (most blatantly, it said the Discovery was the shuttle destroyed in 1986). The thing was horribly edited, too. I'm not saying that to hurt anyone's feelings - just stating a fact.

Air University was good enough to disenroll me and get me a slot for the online course...my advice is to hold on until you can do same.

I'm a bit confused here.  How exactly can I do that, if CAP is moving away from the 00013 course entirely, in favor of the online OBC?  CAP said they aren't using the 00013 course anymore, and that Cadets will have to actually attend COS or RCLS, not the Air Force.

Unless something has changed since they sent out memos from NHQ, I'll be needin' to take the 00013 course, as I don't think I'll be able to attend COS or an RCLS in the future.

Eclipse

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 12, 2010, 02:44:13 AM
Quote from: WheelsUp on May 12, 2010, 02:29:41 AM

I'm a bit confused here.  How exactly can I do that, if CAP is moving away from the 00013 course entirely, in favor of the online OBC?  CAP said they aren't using the 00013 course anymore, and that Cadets will have to actually attend COS or RCLS, not the Air Force.

Unless something has changed since they sent out memos from NHQ, I'll be needin' to take the 00013 course, as I don't think I'll be able to attend COS or an RCLS in the future.

He's probably not tracking you are a cadet...

"That Others May Zoom"

WheelsUp

No, I am tracking on that...I'm just saying that the paper-version 00013 is pretty awful, IMHO.

Last thing I want to see happen is cadets being led astray in the facts of history, and that course will certainly accomplish that.

Eclipse

Quote from: WheelsUp on May 12, 2010, 02:55:42 AM
No, I am tracking on that...I'm just saying that the paper-version 00013 is pretty awful, IMHO.

Last thing I want to see happen is cadets being led astray in the facts of history, and that course will certainly accomplish that.

OK, well that's the only correspondence option as of today, warts and all. The OBC is not open to cadets and
it appears it will not be in the future.

"That Others May Zoom"

WheelsUp

That's really too bad. CAP needs to address this issue fast.

Eclipse

Quote from: WheelsUp on May 12, 2010, 03:17:26 AM
That's really too bad. CAP needs to address this issue fast.

They have - the OBC.

Allowing cadets to take ECI-13 was an afterthought used by so few cadets it was effectively zero. (Present company excepted of course)

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

If you're exercising the cadet option for ECI 13, do it now. You will not be able to  do that later, and the replacement course is not yet open to cadets using it to fulfill the objective.

I'm of the believer that while the course may be pretty dry, if you are a cadet that is in need of it, you probably shouldn't have much issue with it at all compared to someone who's only background in CAP is Senior member to 1st Lt.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: a2capt on May 12, 2010, 07:21:48 AM
If you're exercising the cadet option for ECI 13, do it now. You will not be able to  do that later, and the replacement course is not yet open to cadets using it to fulfill the objective.

I'm of the believer that while the course may be pretty dry, if you are a cadet that is in need of it, you probably shouldn't have much issue with it at all compared to someone who's only background in CAP is Senior member to 1st Lt.

Roger.

I'll be registering with them pretty soon.  I submitted a question to their Help Desk in regard to what rank I'm supposed to use to register.  (Some may not think this is a big deal, but I really don't want to screw anything up.)  As soon as I get a response, I'll submit the info.

RobertAmphibian

PhoenixCadet, I'm in the same boat as you as far as registration. Have you received a response from the help desk yet about what to put for grade?