Main Menu

Shooting at Luke AFB

Started by Flying Pig, February 25, 2010, 05:09:00 PM

davidsinn

Quote from: Stonewall on February 26, 2010, 02:09:09 AM
USAF: M9 off SAFE, round in chamber
Navy/USMC: M9 on SAFE, round in chamber
Army: M9 on SAFE, no round in chamber <--Crazy

Note:  The above discription is for Military Law Enforcement personnel while on "routine patrol/gate duty".  This does not demonstrate how troops of any branch are carrying in theater.

I went to a Navy range with some MAs (master at arms - their version of SF/MP) and almost half drew their M9s and couldn't fire the first round because they forgot to take it off SAFE.

Believe it or not, the AF has it right when it comes to carrying M9s on duty.

Some may say the M4 is the primary weapon, not the M9.  But while on patrol on a CONUS base, your M4 is carried with a magazine inserted, but no round chambered.  IMHO, the condition of the M4 just made my M9 my primary weapon.  If given time to charge my M4, then sure, I'd engage the bad guys with my M4.

Doesn't the M9 have a firing pin block when you put the safety on? That right there is why you should run with the safety on if it does. It would prevent you from shooting yourself if it falls on the ground.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

NCRblues

The firing pin block is always in front of the pin (safety on or off) until the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. That is one of the reasons the air force allows SF to carry with safety off.  ;D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Stonewall

Quote from: NCRblues on February 26, 2010, 09:16:44 AM
The firing pin block is always in front of the pin (safety on or off) until the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. That is one of the reasons the air force allows SF to carry with safety off.

Yes, that.

A lot of people talk smack about the M9.  While I wouldn't use it as a conceal carry pistol due to its size, I have never had a single issue with an M9.  Regardless of caliber (they come in .40), it truly is a reliable and accurate handgun.

I have been carrying and firing the M9 since 1991.  I have competed with it, I have qualified expert with it on the Army, Air Force and Navy courses of fire.  Even as recent as last month I attended a Tactical Pistiol course taught by a retired Delta Master Sergeant where I was taking one handed shots as far as 100 yards and hitting steel targets.

The M9 is a good, accurate, reliable pistol.
Serving since 1987.

davidsinn

The firing pin block is always in front of the pin (safety on or off) until the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. That is one of the reasons the air force allows SF to carry with safety off.  ;D

Nice. That is a well thought out design. Carry on then  ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

nesagsar

Quote from: davidsinn on February 26, 2010, 03:25:07 PM

Nice. That is a well thought out design. Carry on then  ;D

Obviously a bit of a tangent here but as far as safety features on pistols go the coolest one I have seen is the Bersa pistols which you can actually lock with a key on the side of the frame. It stops pretty much all movement except the magazine release.

Gunner C

I can't find my car keys when I leave for work (non pressure).  I can't imagine trying to find the key to my weapon to save my life (lots of pressure).  The safety features on the M1911 A1 are designed to keep the pistol from firing except when it is firmly in the hand of the shooter with a magazine in the well.  The colt company knew what the heck they were doing.

nesagsar

Quote from: Gunner C on February 26, 2010, 10:52:38 PM
I can't find my car keys when I leave for work (non pressure).  I can't imagine trying to find the key to my weapon to save my life (lots of pressure).  The safety features on the M1911 A1 are designed to keep the pistol from firing except when it is firmly in the hand of the shooter with a magazine in the well.  The colt company knew what the heck they were doing.

I'm not saying it's for everybody but it certainly is a good measure to keep a kid from shooting himself. I wasn't talking about accidental firing by qualified and competent adults, that is why I mentioned that it is a bit of a tangent from the conversation.

davidsinn

Colt did not design the M1911. John Browning designed it and sold it to Colt.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

nesagsar

Quote from: davidsinn on February 27, 2010, 12:43:10 AM

Well, they knew what they were doing to buy such a well designed firearm.

davidsinn

Quote from: nesagsar on February 27, 2010, 12:49:06 AM

Well, they knew what they were doing to buy such a well designed firearm.

Yep. I've never met a browning that was a bad design.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Gunner C

When I was typing it I had originally put in Browning (I thought it was his) but I knew that Colt put it out.  Good catch.  And you're right, Browning never designed a bad weapon (just look at the .30 cal M1919 - it still lives in the M2 HB .50 cal (many of the same designs are in the M2, just updated, improved, and beefed up for a MUCH bigger round).

Flying Pig

Ahhhhh, the Ma-Deuce.  Her and I have spent many nights together

smitjud

Similar incident at Redstone Arsenal today....

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/02/driver_who_died_in_redstone_ar.html

Driver who died in Redstone Arsenal crash identified
By The Associated Press
February 28, 2010, 5:34PM
HUNTSVILLE -- Redstone Arsenal officals are still investigating a fatal crash at one of its gates.

The driver has been identified as 39-year-old Larry Dewayne Payne of Vinemont. He was killed after his Chevrolet S10 crashed into a concrete bollard at Gate 9 around 4:30 a.m. Saturday.

Garrison Commander Col. Robert Pastorelli said no one else was injured.

Officials say Payne was approaching the gate "at an excessive speed" when he crashed into one of the concrete bollards and was going so fast that security guards didn't have time to respond.

Pastorelli said Payne wasn't an employee of the Arsenal and it's unclear why we was out on the road so early.

Pastorelli said officals aren't entirely sure Payne was trying to enter the gates but wouldn't release more information, citing the ongoing investigation.
JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Spike

^ Must have been a stuck accelerator pedal. 

heliodoc

Maybe there is an IRS office at Redstone...

Spike

Quote from: heliodoc on March 01, 2010, 04:37:25 AM
Maybe there is an IRS office at Redstone...

Put the word "THE" and IRS" together.  What does that spell??