Main Menu

promotion requirements

Started by Lt Buzzbear, February 07, 2010, 07:39:15 AM

Lt Buzzbear

So I am new to CAP, and I was wondering...
I was given 1LT because i was/am a paramedic for 10 + years.  All I need to complete my level 2 is a SLS course and 2 months additional time for my technician specialty (cadet programs).
so my question is this, will I be sitting around for 18 mos to get to my Capt rank, or does that initiate after my Level 2 is complete?

Thanks

flyguy06

You can go ahead and complete Level II, but you still have to wait the ime  in Gradde for promotion to Captain. Once you get your tech rating, you will revive the Davis Award though.

TACP

For promotion to Capt you will need to complete Level 2 and have 18 months Time In Grade as 1st Lt. So yes, sitting around for 18 months, while you complete the requirement for Level 2.

Reference CAPR 35-5 and 50-17.

CadetProgramGuy

To make captain you must have 18 Months Time as a 1LT.

IOW, what everyone else has said.......

IceNine

Quote from: Lt Buzzbear on February 07, 2010, 07:39:15 AM
So I am new to CAP, and I was wondering...
I was given 1LT because i was/am a paramedic for 10 + years.  All I need to complete my level 2 is a SLS course and 2 months additional time for my technician specialty (cadet programs).
so my question is this, will I be sitting around for 18 mos to get to my Capt rank, or does that initiate after my Level 2 is complete?

Thanks

Walk softly, LEARN the program, WORK on helping to make your unit better, ENJOY your time.

Forget about promotions, and awards, and all the other stuff.  By the time you are eligible for Captain you will hopefully have made a meaningful impact on your unit and will be deserving of the increased responsibility commensurate with your grade.

You have already received your compensation for your service to society, now it's time to earn your compensation for service to the Civil Air Patrol.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Lt Buzzbear

EMT-83

Did anyone else notice that the OP doesn't deserve the promotion he was given?

He accepted a promotion based on CAPR35-5, Section E – Professional Appointments and Promotions, specifically Health Service Personnel. However, he has no intention of being a Health Service Officer.

It's not the member's fault; a newbie doesn't know any better. The squadron commander certainly should know this is wrong. Also, I must be missing something, because a paramedic rates second lieutenant, not first. I assume the OP has a bachelor's degree, but a paramedic still doesn't rate first lieutenant.

The honorable thing to do would be fill out a Form 2 requesting demotion to Senior Member, then work the program properly.

Capt Rivera

Hi EMT,

It depends on how the action was taken.
- Commanders can make recommendation outside the normal allotment that must be approved by higher HQ. The person should be working in the position that warrants the promotion....

I don't recall him saying he has no intention of being a HSO, only that he was progressing in Cadet Programs. He may be enrolled in the applicable track (if there is one) and progressing, he just might be focusing more or progressing faster in cadet programs...

We shouldn't just assume the worst... however if questions were asked... they might prove valid concern...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Cecil DP

Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

AirAux

You know, actually, he shouldn't have been promoted to 1Lt.  He should have been promoted to 2Lt. as an EMT, regardless of x years of experience.  Someone goofed.. And now, he feels entitiled to Cpt. and shouldn't have to wait for 18 months.. Interesting..  I wonder if the mistake will ever catch up with him??  Plus he doesn't have to complete Level II because as a health service officer, he is exempt from Level requirements and only needs time in grade.  Gentlemen, there are so many things wrong with his tale of woe that I think we may be under attacks by gremlins and trolls.  What think ye?? 

vmstan

He probably just needs to bring it up with his commander.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4