White Aviator Shirts

Started by kd8gua, January 25, 2010, 06:39:00 PM

kd8gua

I was wondering if there is a specific type of aviator shirt that can only be worn. I purchased the highly expensive (on a college budget) "official" aviator shirt, but recently picked up two shirts, along with a pilot's uniform jacket, from a local thrift store. The jacket is just something cool to add to the uniform collection, but I was wondering if the shirts are useable.

I cannot find a picture, but the uniform aviator shirts are from Flying Cross. They are short sleeve with cuffed sleeves, have epaulets, and two breast pockets. They are exactly the same as the "model" aviator shirt in the 39-1 except for the pocket flaps. The pocket flaps are identical to the AF blue shirt.

Is this shirt allowed or not? Can anyone point me to a location in 39-1 that specifies the type of white aviator shirt? The only specifics I found were:

P. 83 Table 4-3, 39-1 Item 2:
A white aviator shirt with epaulets is worn. Patches of any kind are not
authorized for this uniform. Available in long or short sleeve versions. If
long sleeve version is worn, blue tie/floppy bow is mandatory. Long sleeves
should extend to heel of thumb with arms hanging naturally, short sleeves
should barely touch or come within 1 inch of the forearm with arms bent at a
90 degree angle. Shirt/blouse must be tucked in with skirt and trousers/slacks.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

SilverEagle2

Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Mustang

$16 is "highly expensive"?

Tip: don't buy anything but insignia items from Vanguard.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Cecil DP

The Aviator shirts are made by Van Huesen and they generally have a VH store in most outlet malls. Check them out before Vanguard.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

SarDragon

Also check your local FBO or airport. If there's a store there that sells pilots stuff, there's a good chance they stock the VH Aviator shirts. They are also available online directly from VH.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

There is no specification for the white aviator shirt; the most common is the Van Heusen Aviator with flap pockets and epaulets. I prefer the shirt from Pilot House since the flap pockets are identical to the AF-style light blue 1550 shirt. If you choose this shirt, avoid the shirts that have eyelets above the shirt pocket for wings. Also avoid the shirts with false pocket flaps; they gap. (The shirts I get have velcro closures on top of the flap, but I don't use them.)

Check out www.pilotshirts.com for details.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SarDragon

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 26, 2010, 03:31:46 PM
There is no specification for the white aviator shirt; the most common is the Van Heusen Aviator with flap pockets and epaulets. I prefer the shirt from Pilot House since the flap pockets are identical to the AF-style light blue 1550 shirt. If you choose this shirt, avoid the shirts that have eyelets above the shirt pocket for wings. Also avoid the shirts with false pocket flaps; they gap. (The shirts I get have velcro closures on top of the flap, but I don't use them.)

Check out www.pilotshirts.com for details.

Van Heusen has three flavors of shirts, Pilot, Aviator, and Commander.

According to here, and here, only the Pilot version has the pleated pockets. The Commander version has fake flaps, and the Aviator has real flaps.

The Aviator version is what was pictured in the olde Bookstore catalog, and what is currently sold by Vanguard. In our quest for uniformity, I think we should be buying the version that is tacitly specified - the Aviator.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

kd8gua

However, to play devil's advocate here, and to nit pick the verbiage of the 39-1, the word "aviator" is lowercase in the table describing the shirt. Therefore, aviator is referencing a style of shirt with epaulets and breast pockets. If it were capitalized, then it would be referencing a specific shirt - the Van Heusen Aviator shirt.

I picked up the "proper" style aviator shirt from Sporty's a while back (they sell the Eagle brand of pilot shirts), but when I found two of the Flying Cross aviator shirts with a combined cost of less than half of what I paid for the shirt from Sporty's, I figured I couldn't lose much.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer

Ohio Wing HQ

SarDragon

Please note that I did NOT cite the reg in my post. Yes, I checked it before writing my post, hence the specific wording.

Thank you for the English lesson. It wasn't necessary. My choice of words was intentional and, IMHO, well thought out.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

kd8gua

I wasn't trying to be facetious in my last post. I was just saying that since the regs do not state, for example, that Captain Bubba's White Aviator Shirt is the regulation shirt, but just states "a white aviator shirt with epaulets," the regs leave some room for interpretation. Sorry to offend if I did.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer

Ohio Wing HQ

Eclipse

^ and that's the point.

Whether its an aviator shirt, gray pants, blazer, shoes, etc., except where indicated, the whole point of not
prescribing a vendor or style is to allow members to reach into their closet and use something they already have.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

This is the part that really confuses me.

On the one hand, there are many complaints that the corporate uniforms are not uniform. Then, when a sensible suggestion is made, the fangs come out and we get this: "the whole point of not prescribing a vendor or style is to allow members to reach into their closet and use something they already have."

So, how's it gonna be? Do we want uniformity, or do we want convenience? Based on what I'm seeing, they appear to approach mutual exclusivity.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on January 26, 2010, 09:26:19 PMDo we want uniformity, or do we want convenience? Based on what I'm seeing, they appear to approach mutual exclusivity.
Therein lies the problem. Alternate "uniforms" have the convenience of being almost uniform, while the Air Force variants are completely uniform. When it comes to the alternates, some people look better than others.

Spike

Quote from: Eclipse on January 26, 2010, 09:13:57 PM
^ and that's the point.

Whether its an aviator shirt, gray pants, blazer, shoes, etc., except where indicated, the whole point of not
prescribing a vendor or style is to allow members to reach into their closet and use something they already have.

We are supposed to be getting all CORPORATE Uniform Items from Vanguard, thus the shirt they sell is the "only authorized" item!

Eclipse

Quote from: Spike on January 26, 2010, 10:44:59 PM
We are supposed to be getting all CORPORATE Uniform Items from Vanguard, thus the shirt they sell is the "only authorized" item!

Um...no.

You know the drill...cite please.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fuzzy

Just don't buy the TPU. Whatever you do.
C/Capt Semko

Eclipse

Quote from: Fuzzy on January 26, 2010, 10:52:06 PM
Just don't buy the TPU. Whatever you do.

Purchase of the Corporate Service Uniform is no longer an option at VG.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 26, 2010, 09:47:54 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 26, 2010, 09:26:19 PMDo we want uniformity, or do we want convenience? Based on what I'm seeing, they appear to approach mutual exclusivity.
Therein lies the problem. Alternate "uniforms" have the convenience of being almost uniform, while the Air Force variants are completely uniform. When it comes to the alternates, some people look better than others.

OK, I'll ask differently. Apparently my initial Q was unclear.

Do we desire uniformity, or not?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on January 27, 2010, 12:33:56 AM
Do we desire uniformity, or not?

CAP's not worried about it, the USAF's not worried about it, and it would cost members money.

I'm good.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cherokeepilot

Brad........
The Flying Cross shirts are a fairly good brand and usually associated with fire and law enforcement services.  The white shirt usually is worn by the chiefs and administrators back at the station.  The shirt should last a long time with good wear. 

I find it interesting when I'm in an emergency operation center wearing the CAP white shirt grey pant uniform that everyone keeps calling me chief or fireman.  Oh well, I have been called worse.
73s
:redx: