Blues uniform when attending, but not involved with a CAP fundraiser

Started by handyman0422, January 23, 2010, 02:54:48 AM

handyman0422

Need help here...  My kids are on the color guard and posting colors at our squadron's annual spaghetti feed, which is a fundraiser.  They will be in blues with ribbons.  The wife and I are senior members, mostly to participate with the kids.  I have a choice of showing up in civies or my blues to support them.  I served AD for 8 years in the army and am being told that since it is a CAP fundraiser I can't wear my CAP blues while supporting my kids.  Are blues discouraged or forbidden?  What is the reg?  I am starting to remember all the reasons I didn't make the military a career.

Eclipse

USAF combinations (BDU's, flightsuits, services dress, mess dress) are prohibited for senior members during fundraisers, however if its a CAP activity you are required to be in CAP uniform if you are supervising the cadets.

Civvies if you're just eating, something corporate if you are helping to run it.

See 173-4

"2. No Air Force Involvement. It is important that no suggestions or inference be made in any CAP fund-raising program that the Air Force is involved or would benefit. Therefore, wear of the Air Force-style CAP uniform in fund raising activities is limited to cadets. Advertising and promotional matter should clearly identify CAP as a distinct organization from the Air Force. (See also paragraph 15f.)"

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

M 39-1 says to wear the uniform "when engaged in normal duties as a CAP member or attending local, wing/region, or national CAP functions".

[Darned] if you do, [darned] if you don't.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 23, 2010, 03:32:29 AM
M 39-1 says to wear the uniform "when engaged in normal duties as a CAP member or attending local, wing/region, or national CAP functions".

Yes.  In this case your only option is a corporate combination.  39-1 predates the current 174-3.

"That Others May Zoom"

Gunner C

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 23, 2010, 03:32:29 AM

[Darned] if you do, [darned] if you don't.
Think of 173-4 as a "caveat".  The main thing is making sure that you don't wear anything "Air Force."  It's a perfect occasion for CAP polo shirts, the blazer, or something in between. 

Back in my squadron days as a CC, I shared your frustration.  But there are a few times that are extraordinary, such as fund raising.  Have fun with it!  We had a booth at the local AFB air show.  We had squadron t-shirts made.  It was a blast and we made lots of money.  Have fun!