CAP Professional Development as Military PME Credit ?

Started by CAP277, January 04, 2010, 07:45:28 PM

CAP277

Did a search and some topics were over 9 pages long, didn't see any specific info on my question.

If I elect to take AFIADL-13 (the Air force Squadron Officer School correspondence course, correct?) as a Civil Air Patrol member, would I receive credit from the Air Force for completing the course upon commissioning (I'm currently an AFROTC cadet) ?

Thanks!

RogueLeader

Yes, AF PME woll count, no matter how you took it.  AFADIL -13 aka ECI 13 is the Civil Air Patrol  Senior Officer Course, or words to that effect.  my brain is lacking at the moment.  It is NOT Squadron Officer School.  You must be at least a Capt in the RM or CAP to take it.  I don't know if GS are allowed to take it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

Will it count?  Yes and not.  Yes AFADI-13 will show up on your USAF PME report....but it does not fill any blocks for your PME requirements.

If you were to take SOS, ACSC or AWC as a CAP member you will get credit for it as an AD officer.  One of the little benifits of CAP for AD officers is that it allows them to take these courses earlier then you would as an AD officer.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DBlair

Just a curious question...

What does SOS equate to in other (non-AF) branches? Would this be equivalent (meaning a box filler to be PME complete) to the Army Captain's Career Course or the Marine Corps Expeditionary Warfare School?

I recently found some mention on the web that SOS may be considered equal to Marine TBS (The Basic School) or Army BOLC (Basic Officer Leadership Course) or Officer Basic Course (OBC), but I wasn't sure as SOS seems to be Captain's PME.

Would having this credit early mean much in promotions (such as helping towards a 'must promote' or perhaps an earlier promotion) or in retirement points?

I'm in the process of joining the Marine Corps Reserves as an officer, and while I do not yet have my commission, I was just curious as to how taking these courses through CAP will factor later on. Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Short Field

Quote from: DBlair on January 04, 2010, 09:11:13 PM
I recently found some mention on the web that SOS may be considered equal to Marine TBS (The Basic School)

LOL - please don't even say that in jest around any Marine officers....  The Air and Space Basic Course might be considered as equal as in "first formal officership training after commissioning" but that is as close as it comes. 

SOS is considered primary level PME.   The USMC's Expeditionary Warfare School is their primary level PME.  The source I checked did not have SOS listed as an equivalent.  ACSC and AWC are listed as equivalents for intermediate and senior level PME.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

DBlair

Quote from: Short Field on January 04, 2010, 09:54:18 PM
Quote from: DBlair on January 04, 2010, 09:11:13 PM
I recently found some mention on the web that SOS may be considered equal to Marine TBS (The Basic School)

LOL - please don't even say that in jest around any Marine officers....  The Air and Space Basic Course might be considered as equal as in "first formal officership training after commissioning" but that is as close as it comes. 

SOS is considered primary level PME.   The USMC's Expeditionary Warfare School is their primary level PME.  The source I checked did not have SOS listed as an equivalent.  ACSC and AWC are listed as equivalents for intermediate and senior level PME.

LOL In no way did I mean that it was equivalent as TBS is obviously quite different from SOS, I was just curious about the credit that was given due to the below information:

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/awc-pme.htm#junior

Junior or Introductory PME, Officers

see also Officer Professional Military Education Policy (OPMEP) above for policy guidelines for each aspect and level of military education

Air Force Intern Program (AFIP)

Squadron Officer School (SOS)
Air and Space Basic Course
The Basic School, USMC
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Short Field

^^^ ASBC and TBS are for 2nd Lts.  SOS is for Captains.   Check the USMC regs to see how they view SOS in their PME program, not the USAF regs.  You are talking about it applying to your USMCR record?
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

CAP277

I know AFADIL -13 is going away for the new CAP Basic Officer Course., but will CAP members still be able to take SOS through correspondence into the future ? I'm assuming so, since I haven't heard anything. And is there any waiver to take the SOS through CAP before hitting SM Capt ?

PHall

SOS is course 00023. Five volumes, (at least it was when I did it) enjoy.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: PHall on January 05, 2010, 04:31:09 AM
SOS is course 00023. Five volumes, (at it was when I did it) enjoy.

Nope... superseded by Course 00020. Course is now entirely online through Blackboard. Three units (volumes).
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: VETTE277 on January 04, 2010, 11:12:16 PM
I know AFADIL -13 is going away for the new CAP Basic Officer Course., but will CAP members still be able to take SOS through correspondence into the future ? I'm assuming so, since I haven't heard anything. And is there any waiver to take the SOS through CAP before hitting SM Capt ?

Generally you must be an AF captain or selected for promotion to captain before you can enroll in SOS by correspondence. In CAP, there are no 'selectee' designations, so you may have to wait until you pin on CAP Captain before enrolling.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040