NESA Registration Opened

Started by Angus, December 28, 2009, 09:32:52 PM

FastAttack

Quote from: husker on May 09, 2010, 02:00:01 AM
Quote from: FastAttack on May 08, 2010, 03:44:23 AM
1 quick question.

are we still getting the welcome packet via mail?

just curious.

Yes, you should get a packet any day now.  I know they were working on them this past week.

Great thank you.

Lt Buzzbear

So I have a quick question for anyone who can help.
I just checked my application status on the NESA site, and it says I have been accepted for both scanner & observer (YEA)!! ;D
my question is, it says accepted to both for session 1.
shouldn't it be scanner in session 1 and obs in session 2?
who would I contact about this?  the course director listed on the MAS info section?

SJFedor

Quote from: davidsinn on May 07, 2010, 02:59:34 PM
Quote from: SJFedor on May 07, 2010, 08:01:35 AM
Pretty cost effective. I did 10 day's worth of laundry there for maybe $18, folded and all.

You sir, are most definitely an apartment dwelling bachelor if you consider that cost effective. :o My wife and I can do months worth of laundry for that price. ;D Heck I used to know a place where you could get 5 gallons of Tide for $25. That'd last a couple of years at least.

but they fold it, and that's definitely worth the money.  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Wolfman21

Quote from: SarDragon on May 07, 2010, 08:03:54 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on May 07, 2010, 07:20:29 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on May 07, 2010, 05:11:35 AM
Quote from: Wolfman21 on May 07, 2010, 04:21:31 AM
i was just woundering how hard is basic GSAR and if it has BCUT thats all i need for my GTM3 Qual but i look foward to my first experience at NESA 8)

Your CC or comm officer can do BCUT with you in a couple of hours.

Ours can do it in an hour, BCUT is simply a slideshow presentation or self study (I did the self study).

Then you're missing some material. My BCUT classes usually go about an hour and forty-five minutes to get in all the info.

The squadron commander has told me along with others in the squadron that its an all day event and were tlkn bout KY wing so we dont have BCUT slides yet online if you could give me a link for the BCUT slideshow or some testmaterial i can get online id appreceate it
C/SrA Kidd
Element leader
GLR-KY-216
Ft. Campbell composite squadron
"EAGLES OF MERCEY"

Wolfman21

Quote from: Lt Buzzbear on May 10, 2010, 07:57:08 PM
I just checked my application status on the NESA site, and it says I have been accepted for both scanner & observer (YEA)!! ;D
who would I contact about this?  the course director listed on the MAS info section?

i would say so if not him it would be the NESA director maby
C/SrA Kidd
Element leader
GLR-KY-216
"EAGLES OF MERCEY"

SJFedor

Quote from: Lt Buzzbear on May 10, 2010, 07:57:08 PM

Email the MAS director, he'll forward your issue onto the right people at National to get it corrected.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

SarDragon

BCUT is a classroom course. No online assets are available for self-study purposes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Wolfman21

Quote from: SarDragon on May 13, 2010, 06:08:03 PM
BCUT is a classroom course. No online assets are available for self-study purposes.

Ok, thank you for the info sir, I also keep hearing about BCUT slides being uploaded online and that they are going to change it to needing ICUT instead of BCUT, if there isn't a thread already on BCUT I will start one so this doesn't get too far off thread.
C/SrA Kidd
Element leader
GLR-KY-216
"EAGLES OF MERCEY"

SJFedor

Quote from: SarDragon on May 13, 2010, 06:08:03 PM

Actually, some wings have developed eLearning platforms to complete the BCUT course....

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Wolfman21

I found out from the DESO in our squadron that Ohio wing has an online BCUT slides but I don't know how to find it he said that I can take a BCUT slides from any wing online and it will be counted...any comments ? or advise ?
C/SrA Kidd
Element leader
GLR-KY-216
"EAGLES OF MERCEY"

SarDragon

Advice.

Find a class and take it. As a cadet, the student-instructor, and inter-student interaction will be of great benefit. You will end up learning a lot more about CAP radio operation. And that's the objective of the course. You shouldn't treat it as "just another punch on my ticket."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Wolfman21

Ok, thanks...I kinda learned that you should NEVER choose something else over rare training....most of the time it ends being that one thing holding you back and that's why whenever something in training is scheduled I try to get in on it.
C/SrA Kidd
Element leader
GLR-KY-216
"EAGLES OF MERCEY"

FastAttack

Ok I have yet to receive the welcome packet but its my understanding they are on there way.

The thing that i have a big question is about the OPS orders.

They have yet to be posted. Honestly I don't know what to bring other than what previous year attendees have told me to prepare. ( MAS school)
One pilot indicated to me to bring a sleeping bag even though i am staying at the barracks ( seems like they don't give you sheets?)

anyhow we are getting close to the date and I need to make sure i cover myself as far as items needed for NESA.

Thanks

SJFedor

Quote from: FastAttack on May 19, 2010, 04:12:24 AM
Ok I have yet to receive the welcome packet but its my understanding they are on there way.

They have yet to be posted. Honestly I don't know what to bring other than what previous year attendees have told me to prepare. ( MAS school)
One pilot indicated to me to bring a sleeping bag even though i am staying at the barracks ( seems like they don't give you sheets?)

anyhow we are getting close to the date and I need to make sure i cover myself as far as items needed for NESA.

Thanks

St Louis sectional (2 preferred), headset if you have one (theyre in short supply), note taking materials, plotter, pens/pencils, at least 1 uniform (green flight suit preferred, then blue flight suit, corporates least preferred but acceptable) a few pairs of khaki shorts and white socks/tennis shoes for the alternate approved uniform (if you wanna wear it), tshirts provided by school, clothes for a week or 2 depending on how long you're staying, all the normal toiletries, etc. sunglasses, suntan lotion, something to bring water w/ you in the aircraft (i hang my camelback on the seat and put the tube over my shoulder).

they do NOT provide you with sheets or anything like that, so bring your own. sleeping bags work better, as even though it gets hot as sin during the day, it gets pretty cool at night there. a reflective belt if you can get your hands on one before hand, as they tend to go quickly at the PX on arrival. you're required to wear one anytime you're outside the contonement area from sundown to sunrise, and the MP's enforce it heavily.

I'll see if I can dig up the pack list from previous years, give me a day or two...

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

FastAttack

Quote from: SJFedor on May 19, 2010, 06:06:48 AM

Thanks

St Louis sectional (2 preferred), headset if you have one (theyre in short supply), note taking materials, plotter, pens/pencils, at least 1 uniform (green flight suit preferred, then blue flight suit, corporates least preferred but acceptable) a few pairs of khaki shorts and white socks/tennis shoes for the alternate approved uniform (if you wanna wear it), tshirts provided by school, clothes for a week or 2 depending on how long you're staying, all the normal toiletries, etc. sunglasses, suntan lotion, something to bring water w/ you in the aircraft (i hang my camelback on the seat and put the tube over my shoulder).

they do NOT provide you with sheets or anything like that, so bring your own. sleeping bags work better, as even though it gets hot as sin during the day, it gets pretty cool at night there. a reflective belt if you can get your hands on one before hand, as they tend to go quickly at the PX on arrival. you're required to wear one anytime you're outside the contonement area from sundown to sunrise, and the MP's enforce it heavily.

I'll see if I can dig up the pack list from previous years, give me a day or two...

thanks again on the list..  One of the pilots that went 2 years ago told me he was surprised the OPS orders weren't even posted yet.
I thought a headset was a must for a pilot .. good thing I am taking 2 :)

As a side note i have a  tablet PC that i use to take notes is there places in the classroom to put a power cord? just curious as i hate having to deal with paper ( Med school habit of putting everything in a computer)

SJFedor

Quote from: FastAttack on May 19, 2010, 12:36:35 PM

Thanks

thanks again on the list..  One of the pilots that went 2 years ago told me he was surprised the OPS orders weren't even posted yet.

As a side note i have a  tablet PC that i use to take notes is there places in the classroom to put a power cord? just curious as i hate having to deal with paper ( Med school habit of putting everything in a computer)

They're few and far between, but you may get lucky. Which school(s) are you going through?

Also, there IS wi-fi at the airport, but we ask that students try and stay off of it, as it's a unit that was put in by the school for the airport letting us essentially take over the place for 2 weeks every year, and it tends to get bogged down quickly with 70 students all trying to play on facebook, plus the air ops staff upstairs trying to run everything.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

mynetdude

Thanks

I have a tablet PC, rather slow but found out it runs faster by disabling the touchscreen feature; I too dislike using paper but alas... I still type faster than I write so I guess I don't need a tablet PC as they are too cumbersome still.

FastAttack

Quote from: SJFedor on May 19, 2010, 09:02:04 PM

Thanks

They're few and far between, but you may get lucky. Which school(s) are you going through?

Also, there IS wi-fi at the airport, but we ask that students try and stay off of it, as it's a unit that was put in by the school for the airport letting us essentially take over the place for 2 weeks every year, and it tends to get bogged down quickly with 70 students all trying to play on facebook, plus the air ops staff upstairs trying to run everything.

MAS , going in as a Mission Pilot..

FastAttack

Quote from: mynetdude on May 19, 2010, 11:23:43 PM

Thanks

I have a tablet PC, rather slow but found out it runs faster by disabling the touchscreen feature; I too dislike using paper but alas... I still type faster than I write so I guess I don't need a tablet PC as they are too cumbersome still.

I actually use One Note and just use my ugly handwriting with my stylus ;)  I type a lot faster than what i write but sometimes you need to draw so that's when this thing comes in handy.

mynetdude

Quote from: FastAttack on May 20, 2010, 03:12:09 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on May 19, 2010, 11:23:43 PM

Thanks

I actually use One Note and just use my ugly handwriting with my stylus ;)  I type a lot faster than what i write but sometimes you need to draw so that's when this thing comes in handy.

Yeah OneNote=Awesome, have fun at NESA :)