Recruiting and Retention

Started by Daniel, December 25, 2009, 08:22:24 AM

Daniel

Greetings,

This is not a plea. I don't expect a stranger of the internet to save my squadron. I need help, numbers aren't good and I'm calling detail; not flight or squadron.
So anyways I'm developing a hypothesis of ways to recruit and recruitment tactics. please give me feedback on these ideas, and explain with some of your own

1. RELATION 

I was in school and I asked the Army recruiter how he was doing today; he replied something to the extent of "Good, everyday I'm in a group I love" I feel it is important to relate every question one asks to CAP when on recruitment operations.

2. THEY WILL COME

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. We shouldn't seek out people whom won't listen to us, we should invite people to hear us and if things go well then they will join. 

3. STRIPES LOOK GREAT

If someone looks interested having them talk to someone of rank looks great.  They have experience and are more to the standard then cadets of lower rank.

What do you think of those, and I need ideas of these things;
1) driving, not all prospects can drive, not all parents can take them
2) Payments, money is tight right now; one can't expect everyone to pull $40 randomly.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

RogueLeader

Its great that you want to revamp the squadron.  Talk to thecommander about what you are doing.  Stay upbeat about what you want to do, it can be depressing at times if you let it.

There is not much you can do about getting people there that cannot drive or get a ride.  Just keep contact with them so they don't loose heart in the program.

For those that need money, offer ways that they can earn money, ie odd jobs, and saving.  If you want something bad enough, you will make it work.

Keep up the great attitude.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Spike

First, you need to set a goal.  Simply stating "I need people to join" is not practical.  Google "Definite Major Purpose".  You will find something called "Think and Grow Rich" by a guy named Napoleon Hill.  He studied the great Industrial Leaders in America during the late 1800 and early 1900's.  He specifically took what Andrew Carnegie believed in and wrote a book.  Carnegie believed a person needs a purpose he or she will set goals to and work toward.  The saying "whatever the mind believes you can achieve was a Carnegie philosophy that made him the greatest American industrialist EVER.  So, decide what your purpose is and set reachable goals.

Second, be honest and forthright with prospective members.  Let them know costs, benefits and results that are typical to new members.  If you hold anything back, or embellish on any subject, you have FAILED. 

Third, (this is most important) COST again.  If a member can not pay the charges due a member when joining, well that is too bad.  It is not your responsibility to raise money for or provide transportation to any prospective member.  Life is full of costs, and if a person really wants to join CAP, but is not financially capable (which I highly doubt these days) they will find their OWN ways to make it happen.  Remember, if you want something bad enough and your mind can believe it, you will achieve it!

Now some minor details;

Always have a prospective member speak with a longtime member and someone who has just joined.  The prospective member will feel more comfortable speaking with someone who was just in their position (of becoming a new member).

Explain Encampment to all prospective Cadets and their Parents when you discuss the "other activities" CAP provides.  Too often, people join thinking they can go to flight encampment the first summer, just to be told they must first go to "regular" Encampment.  (Explain the prerequisites of attending National cadet Special Activities)

Give detailed schedules and calendars to prospective members.  Don't "wing it" or play off meeting formats "by ear".

Tell the member how far away Cadet Orientation flights are.

The last piece of advice I am giving is the most important!  If a prospective member lives closer to a neighboring Squadron than your Squadron TELL THEM!!!!!  You will only loose them when they discover they live closer to another CAP unit.