Uniform as branding element

Started by Smithsonia, December 21, 2009, 04:11:21 PM

Smithsonia

Hawk200;
You stated that Denomination (different religious sects or affiliations) is not branding. It is precisely branding.

De - Nom - in -a - tion is the act of distinguishing one thing from another. As in, to denominate money into the various orders of value.
n.

1. A large group of religious congregations united under a common faith and name and organized under a single administrative and legal hierarchy.
   2. One of a series of kinds, values, or sizes, as in a system of currency or weights: Cash registers have compartments for bills of different denominations. The stamps come in 25¢ and 45¢ denominations.
   3. A name or designation, especially for a class or group.

denominational de·nom'i·na'tion·al adj.
denominationally de·nom'i·na'tion·al·ly adv.

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

RiverAux

We're sort of talking about two different aspects of the same general topic:
1.  The symbology (uniforms) associated with an organization and the role that they may play in promoting the image of the organization, bringing in recruits, etc.
2.  The overall "reputation" of the organization as it has developed in the mind of the public.  Depsite the efforts of our public affairs folks, the evidence is clear that among the general public our brand is "who?  Never heard of them", however with local and state agencies we work with as well as the AF it is person-to-person contacts and experiences that have built our brand/reputation.

But as far as uniforms go as a symbol of CAP, I think the baddest rap we hear isn't that CAP members show up in 5 different uniforms to a mission or that we're a bunch of old fatties, it is the "They're all Colonels" belief.  Now, this is demonstrably untrue (even if we bring it down to Lt. Cols.), but that reputation is sort of bolstered by the fact that even if we're not all Colonels, we're (for all practical purposes) all officers in the senior program. 

Obviously that manifests itself on the uniforms in the grade insignia.

So long as we continue with an officer-based program this rap will continue even if we send every single CAP officer to OCS.  The outside people will never have any real idea what training our officers have and even if every single one was the best trained officer ever seen in a military style uniform, the bad rap of "they're all Colonels" will continue.

No, I'm not saying that we should change our whole system around just to avoid this bad rap.  I'm just pointing out that it is one element of the CAP "brand" among people who know much about us. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on January 01, 2010, 02:57:19 AM

The outside people will never have any real idea what training our officers have and even if every single one was the best trained officer ever seen in a military style uniform, the bad rap of "they're all Colonels" will continue.

John Q. Public likely has no idea of what it takes to be Colonel in the Armed Forces either.  Many ordinary people seem to think that a NCO with a lot of "stripes" is high ranking and likely wonder why a guy with a silver "flower" on his shoulder is not called MAJOR.

I don't buy the arguments brought forth citing what people think and do not think of us.  I should point  out that most CAP Officers I know don't even consider the "heated topics" on this forum to be of relevance to their service.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 01, 2010, 05:22:56 AMI should point  out that most CAP Officers I know don't even consider the "heated topics" on this forum to be of relevance to their service.
Thanks, Sparky. I needed that.

FARRIER

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 01, 2010, 05:22:56 AM
...the bad rap of "they're all Colonels"...

John Q. Public likely has no idea of what it takes to be Colonel in the Armed Forces either.  Many ordinary people seem to think that a NCO with a lot of "stripes" is high ranking and likely wonder why a guy with a silver "flower" on his shoulder is not called MAJOR.

I don't buy the arguments brought forth citing what people think and do not think of us.  I should point  out that most CAP Officers I know don't even consider the "heated topics" on this forum to be of relevance to their service.

River is correct. I heard that exact quote used about us almost 20 years ago by my instructor in my Aircraft Accident Investigation class when I was in college.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Major Carrales

Quote from: FARRIER on January 01, 2010, 05:47:22 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on January 01, 2010, 05:22:56 AM
...the bad rap of "they're all Colonels"...

River is correct. I heard that exact quote used about us almost 20 years ago by my instructor in my Aircraft Accident Investigation class when I was in college.

Yes, an some of those Colonels have been in CAP service for 25-30 years and may do so until they die.   They do not pull in any money from it and their rank reflects their service and their ribbons their accomplishments. I, and my contemporaries of my unit, represent the farthest extent of Professional Development thus far as Majors. 

Now, I have Lt Cols in my unit, they are retired military. Should I have denied them that rank since were "have too many Lt Cols?" 

I thought we long ago understood that a CAP Lt Col means that, nothing more and nothing less.  Lt Cols in CAP represent the end of a Professional Development cycle and the rank is an internal mechanism of CAP.  I wish more education of the fact was made.

CAP is also mostly "local" in its application and the logical end to professional development is Lt Col.  Thus, many units with longevity will have at least one Lt Col.

Now, to turn the tables on that ridiculous statement...I've been to San Antonio.  It seems to me that every person in the USAF seems to be a Senior Airman...(gasp)...there goes the neighborhood.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

QuoteNow, I have Lt Cols in my unit, they are retired military. Should Ihave denied them that rank since were "have too many Lt Cols?"
No one suggested anything of the sort and this has absolutely nothing to do with separate discussions we've had here about our PD program. 
QuoteNow, to turn the tables on that ridiculous statement...
Whether you think it is ridiculous or not, it is what some people think of CAP.   They are, of course, wrong, but we have to recognize that this is something we have to deal with. 

QuoteI don't buy the arguments brought forth citing what people think and do not think of us.
When we're talking about branding, we're talking about what people think of us, for good or ill and trying to reshape it to the better. 

Smithsonia

It was once said to me by an Air Force Officer - "Ya'll got more half baked Colonels than a bag of popcorn"

While funny - I have no point to make here - Just a good joke. And of course kernels is spelled differently. Just as a comparison...

AND to a point. There has been inflation of both uniform choices and ranks. Here's the Staff and Ratings for NHQ Staff in '42. You'll see that Gil Robb Wilson was a Captain. Earle Johnson - A Major. Among the Highest Rank in CAP National Command Staff - Ms. Jackie Cochran PAO and was a Lt. Col.
Blee, Harry H.                                             NHQ                                                     N/A                    Training & Ops Officer    April 1942          Colonel                                                                                                               

Broom, James F.                                        NHQ                                                      N/A                  Ops Director                 May 1942                1Lt

Cochran, Jacqueline           NHQ                                                      Washington, DC                            Pilot, PAO                    Jan 1942                  Lt Col

Hawgood, Henry                                          NHQ                                                      N/A                                              Fiscal Officer                May 1942                 1Lt

Johnson, Earle                                            NHQ                                                      New Jersey                                   NC                               April 1942-47            Major

Leigh, Gilbert                                              NHQ                                                      Arkansas                                      Supply Officer                May 1942                1Lt

Smith, Oscar C.                                          NHQ                                                      N/A                                              Finance Officer              May 1942                1Lt

Vilas, Jack                                                 NHQ                                                      Illinois                                           Executive Officer            May 1942                1Lt

Wilson, Gill Robb                                        NHQ                                                      New Jersey                                   Chief Consultant            May 1942                Captain
                                                                 NHQ                                                      New Jersey                                   Executive Officer            Dec 1941-Apr 1942   Captain                       
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on January 01, 2010, 03:30:38 PM

QuoteNow, I have Lt Cols in my unit, they are retired military. Should Ihave denied them that rank since were "have too many Lt Cols?"
No one suggested anything of the sort and this has absolutely nothing to do with separate discussions we've had here about our PD program. 
QuoteNow, to turn the tables on that ridiculous statement...
Whether you think it is ridiculous or not, it is what some people think of CAP.   They are, of course, wrong, but we have to recognize that this is something we have to deal with. 

QuoteI don't buy the arguments brought forth citing what people think and do not think of us.
When we're talking about branding, we're talking about what people think of us, for good or ill and trying to reshape it to the better.

You can spend millions on "branding" and get absolutely nowhere.  As all CAP is local, the better effort would involve local units getting out to their community. That is the "branding element" what would get results.  Plus, if local units get "on the air" or "in print" in their various markets they can actually present an image of themselves that is in line what the reality of their situation.

What good would a 30 sec spot about CAP do when it shows GA-8s, flight lines of CAP aircraft and other "cool" images when most units never even see that?  Suppose your unit is a senior one and the message from National is Cadet Heavy?  You suddenly get 20 cadets that want to join and none of your people want anything to do with it.  Then suppose the opposite, you are a Cadet effort with little ES function (and even less flying) and suddenly you get people coming in for ES and you are so ill prepared to deal with that that the reverse effect (bad rap) is generated.  What do you do?

Fancy logos, clever catchphrases and 30 second "Super Bowl type" spots will not get the results.

As for "we have too many Colonels," what else can you be insinuating?  The idea is "we have too many Colonels," my reply is the rank is well deserved.  The only logical conclusion would be to deny the grade to people.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Smithsonia

Sparky;
I am not talking about spending millions in a snake oil sales pitch. I am talking about aligning what we've got for more effective branding. Simplify!!!! Alignment. Top to bottom - Bottom to top.

As far as being local. I agree to a point. Local Branding is important. Vital Missions on site, with local folks doing their best in trying times. That is hurricane relief and border patrolling for you guys. Good, great, well done, bravo! In Colorado we don't get that many hurricanes or border missions, so we adapt to the local requirements. We find lost cattle and sojourners in snow storms, go to tornado sites, look for lost hikers and planes. We do good where we can. Including sending crews and planes to Texas when the heat is on and the water is up.

That stated, the diffused, confused, vacuous, inane, uncontrolled, desperate, or foolish use of our precious resources is a waste by any measure. Which is why alignment of National goals with local priorities is important, heck it is vital - and serves us all.

So everything National does reflects positively upon local. Everything that helps Texas, helps Colorado, etc. When you do good... there is some benefit passed on to us. When we hit the papers with a positive... it makes Texas feel good too. It should we are all in this together. I suggest, we should look like it. We should act like it. We should do it. In this way we get more bang for fewer bucks. Which is my point about branding.

This from your Denver Correspondent. 
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

RiverAux

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 01, 2010, 06:59:24 PM
As for "we have too many Colonels," what else can you be insinuating?  The idea is "we have too many Colonels," my reply is the rank is well deserved. 
Not a thing.  Just stating the fact that some people think that about CAP because of what they see on our uniforms.  As I've said several times, they're wrong, but we don't get to control what people think of us. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on January 01, 2010, 07:36:22 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on January 01, 2010, 06:59:24 PM
As for "we have too many Colonels," what else can you be insinuating?  The idea is "we have too many Colonels," my reply is the rank is well deserved. 
Not a thing.  Just stating the fact that some people think that about CAP because of what they see on our uniforms.  As I've said several times, they're wrong, but we don't get to control what people think of us.

"No one can guarantee the actions of another."  This is a quote from Mr Spock of Star Trek fame that people in advertising and marketing fail to take into account.  I am forever perplexed that people seem to think that the human mind can adhere to formulas as if we were discussing science or mathematics.

I have friends who are economists that debate issues with me using "economics" as an "exact science."  They quote professors and statistics against my contentions citing Keynesian this and Mercantile that.  Then the housing bubble burst followed by the collapse of the Mortage market, which I contented was going to happen, but that their models did not even account for.  Out went all that...

The same occurs with marketing.  People assume that there are formulae that dictate what to do.  That a television show or album will make it because it meets certain Nielsen or marketing conventions for music play instead of the quality of the show or the talent of the musicians.  Notice that there are no Sinatra's or Elvis' in our current culture and how your favorite television show "jumps the shark" when they try to "make it better" or move its time slot for MARKETING purposes. 

Or how our public schools try to apply business models to education.  After all, Donald Trump's methodology made him millions, therefore, we can use it to guide "production" of student success.  This is applied failing to take into account that in business production you discontinue unproductive elements (like students displaying recidivism).  You just can't tell a failing child "your fired."   

I see this with certain people in this thread en re branding.  Trying to apply elements of branding and marketing that may work for their sphere of understanding but who are detached from how CAP operates.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 01, 2010, 07:59:37 PMI see this with certain people in this thread en re branding.  Trying to apply elements of branding and marketing that may work for their sphere of understanding but who are detached from how CAP operates.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Smithsonia

Hawk and Sparky;
1. You'd like the elements of branding to fit the province of science. It is an aesthetic practice. That said, you will both use Gravity today without knowing how or why it works. There is no elemental scientific supporting fact of the principle that makes gravity work. String Theory aside... as it is a theory. Many theories have been proposed but no one knows. That said, there is plenty of science using it. Additionally, The largest accumulation of stuff in the universe is Dark Matter, and that is indescribable but it can be measured. That's why we know it the biggest.

In branding we can measure it too. However, we aren't always certain why it is memorable or taken to the heart.

2. Dozens of ephemeral (if well meaning) substitutes will not satisfy the need for focused branding. Either you try to do it on your own, or suffer when it is done by others. Please remember the FEMA example I gave earlier. (Gieco Insurance of Course has the Gecko, Caveman, and Bug-eyed pile of money but that is supported by a huge public advertising campaign. We don't have that level of exposure.)

3. It is easy to talk about branding in the specific case (which has direct application to us) of "Serve and Protect." This very well known and understood branding has never been part of some large or expensive advertising campaign, at least that I am aware. It was instituted over a 30 year period, placed mostly on Patrol car's signage, has measurable results, encompasses many people, forces, constabularies, services, and societies. It is a good brand model.

When this branding came out in the mid-seventies, like you many were sceptical. However the police were "The Cops; The Fuzz; The Man, The Pigs" - Badge Heavy's with Dirty Harry "make my day" threats. The American Association of Peace Officers offered this as a combating instrument of identity change. Simultaneously - Training procedures were oriented toward more service and better protection.

In the 80s the number of police killed in the line of duty peaked. As of a week ago when the latest research was posted, Officers Killed in the line of duty is down to the same per' cap as 1959. In other words down to the level before thr turbulent 60s. Did Serve and Protect do this - in a way yes, but as an element of a large and thorough program of professional policing.

Branding isn't one thing -- it is all things. It is mission (Serve and Protect) it is a recruitment tool (The Few The Proud the Marines) it is a social short hand reference (When Duty Calls) it is aspirational (Rangers Lead the Way) it is caring (Never Leave a buddy behind) it is character building (you gotta go but you don't have to come back) it is symbolic (We Bring Good Things to Life) it is basic (Mmmm... Good)  but makes you think (with a name like Schmuckers it has to be Good.)

It works because it builds loyalty the same way you do. With actions that match your words over years and years. AND, at a certain point you are your brand.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Major Carrales

Well, I would have to say that if we have ever been "branded" then it would look something like this... "Civil Air Patrol: United States Air Force Auxiliary."  However, as you know, there is a lot of controversy behind that.

Another is "Civil Air Patrol: Always Vigilant." People wanted more than that, they wanted it to say what we did which led to the question "what do we do?" which, in turn, yielded to the answer, "we do a lot of stuff and in different places to different people."  That presents a major problem.  Unless every unit is doing the same things Nationwide, a ONE SIZE FITS all brand will not work unless it is vague.

I was at the 2007 PAO Academy and the matters were made clear.  All CAP is local, don't use "America's Best Kept Secret," and stress your best sides in public.  Money was spent to a marketing firm that came up with "More than Meets the Skies."  This was met with ridicule.  After all that was said and done, I was of the conclusion that "snappy" one liners were not gonna do it for CAP.

Its about leg work.  Our local unit brand is "Keep 'em Flying and Keep the Momentum going."  It means not being a stranger to local officials and media. It means getting out in a service coat once and a while at a non-CAP  specific activity, like building dedications at Airports.  It means turning CADET O-Flights into something special at the local FBO and maintaining a friendly presence in the GA community.

It means you help the local Flotilla, Scout Troop, Rotary so they know you..more than the catch phrase.

It means you do not be the curmudgeons who perch on purlins in the hangar waiting to pounce on newbies, guests and visitors.  There is no substitute for getting out into the community...personally. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Smithsonia

Sparky;
It must be vague? Really... no it must be potent and consistent - However, if you mean, it must be all things to all people. It must be open enough so that your mind, the audiences mind, the members minds - even subconsciously - invests in it. Then True. But, that is a BIG difference, from vague.

I am not suggesting any particular line. I am not suggesting anything at all but identifying the branding elements that we have. I am for getting rid of some of the rif-raff things that don't help us... in the same way we retired the wide band radios. There are better tools available for CAP, these are right at our finger tips, and all it takes is a little education and lots of thinking.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 01, 2010, 09:03:00 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on January 01, 2010, 07:59:37 PMI see this with certain people in this thread en re branding.  Trying to apply elements of branding and marketing that may work for their sphere of understanding but who are detached from how CAP operates.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
While all CAP is local, we are also part of a national organization.  There isn't a reason in the world our folks can't sing their local praises while staying within a defined sandbox that ties us all together.  You can meet your local marketing needs while still doing right by CAP as a whole. 

The fact that some people understand the concept of branding, and how CAP could benefit from it, is not indicative of a failure to understand CAP.  I seem to recall a previous thread in which Major Carrales insisted CAP members should wear their uniforms whenever possible.  (Just noticed he mentioned it again a few posts after the one I'm responding to.) That's one element of flying the CAP colors, marketing us, displaying our brand.

All some of us are recommending is that CAP make a more coherent effort to make us all look like the same team.  How is that detached from the reality of CAP?  Done right it's simpler than the marketing mess we are currently in, with too many apparently unrelated logos, slogans, disjointed ad campaigns, and uniforms.  What is so awful about playing well with others?

Edited to add comment in parentheses.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Rotorhead

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 01, 2010, 10:11:38 PM
Well, I would have to say that if we have ever been "branded" then it would look something like this... "Civil Air Patrol: United States Air Force Auxiliary."  However, as you know, there is a lot of controversy behind that.

Another is "Civil Air Patrol: Always Vigilant." People wanted more than that, they wanted it to say what we did which led to the question "what do we do?" which, in turn, yielded to the answer, "we do a lot of stuff and in different places to different people."  That presents a major problem.  Unless every unit is doing the same things Nationwide, a ONE SIZE FITS all brand will not work unless it is vague.

Just because you have yet to see a branding slogan that works does not mean that one cannot be devised.

Also, I'd point out that "Keep 'em Flying and Keep the Momentum going" is not a branding slogan.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Major Carrales

Quote from: Rotorhead on January 01, 2010, 11:35:05 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on January 01, 2010, 10:11:38 PM

Just because you have yet to see a branding slogan that works does not mean that one cannot be devised.

Also, I'd point out that "Keep 'em Flying and Keep the Momentum going" is not a branding slogan.

Wow, how quickly the tables can turn against a person here. 

This is not about me or my seeing of branding slogans working in CAP, this is about the nature of the organization and how it cannot be summed up in "two words."  When money has been applied to that effort, the results have been deemed horrible from within, not without.

I am speaking from experience on this matter when I talk about local media attention.  It is not the job of CAPNHQ to do our leg work for us.  Really, some of you are professionals in this field and really seem to think that the CAP has the money to run a multimedia campaign the like of which such branding would require.  We are not like "Poptarts" which produces revenue justifying the cost.  That is one of the realities  not being faced. 

All that CAPNHQ-PA can do is create the logos and slogans, they cannot pay to have it run in everyone's market and running it in a national market is too costly.  That was another issue Maj Gen Courter talked about at that PAO Academy.  The idea that Nation Wide CAP publicity does not justify the cost. Even 30 seconds spots in prime time market...equating to millions of dollars...is not worth it.  Especially when you all know people dislike commercials and fast-forward them.  I don't think a CAP spot would have the characteristics of well made Super Bowl commercials and that it would be spoken of around the water cooler the next day.

The true marketing of CAP is going to come from two areas 1) how well we execute the missions, and 2) local PAOs schmoozing local media. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 02, 2010, 12:21:56 AM
This is not about me or my seeing of branding slogans working in CAP, this is about the nature of the organization and how it cannot be summed up in "two words."  When money has been applied to that effort, the results have been deemed horrible from within, not without.
A decent branding effort is not summed up in "two words" and I don't think that's what is being proposed here.  Can you sum American Red Cross in two words?  Like us they have a variety of missions, not all of them well known, yet their brand is coherent.  We can do it too.  I see "brand" as nothing more than a buzzword for the things you do publicly to help control your reputation.  While we can't control what others think of us, we can sure try to influence it.

I am speaking from experience on this matter when I talk about local media attention.  It is not the job of CAPNHQ to do our leg work for us.  Really, some of you are professionals in this field and really seem to think that the CAP has the money to run a multimedia campaign the like of which branding would require.  We are not like "Poptarts" which produces revenue justifying the cost.  That is one of the realities  not being faced.
You are exactly right that local PAO's do the leg work.  However, National SHOULD provide a decent, consistent framework for all local PAO's instead of breeding new visions faster than Tribbles.  I'm not sure I've seen a National ad campaign proposed in this thread.  What I've noticed is a desire for a coherent brand that makes sense.  Local PAO's, myself included, can work construct our local programs within that structure.

All that CAPNHQ-PA can do is create the logos and slogans, they cannot pay to have it run in everyone's market and running it in a national market is too costly.
Agree.  However we should expect the logos, slogans, and uniforms to be part of a coherent whole.  Our local efforts can benefit by association with the national program.  We'd be better off with only one or two logos, uniforms that are recognizable as belonging to the same organization, etc.  It's the same concept as boilerplate text for press releases.  We generally look, sound, and act the same.  Change the details to fit, leave the rest for consistency.

The true marketing of CAP is going to come from two areas 1) how well we execute the missions, and 2) local PAOs schmoozing local media.
Agreed.  I would add one thing though: we need to schmooze Congress if we want a budget.  That is where our efforts for a consistent and quality brand on a national level can really pay off.  My efforts on a local level can go back to The Hill via my local Congress-critters.  Hopefully they jive with any of your efforts noticed by your local representative.  With regard to local media, how many reporters bounce from market to market?  Wouldn't it be nice to capitalize on their previous, and hopefully good, experience with other CAP squadrons?
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."