Main Menu

laser attacks

Started by JK657, December 18, 2009, 05:26:19 AM

JK657

I recently attended a class on crimes associated with lasers being pointed at aircraft. I had not heard much about it but apparently the number of incidents being reporter are growing every year. The special agent giving the presentation showed some video of what a laser pointer can look like in a cockpit at 1000' feet and I was amazed. That little laser just became a spot light.

Have you had experiences with lasers pointed at CAP aircraft?

flyerthom

Not in a cap aircraft but an EMS helicopter I was in got lit up near LAS. Not cool.
TC

Flying Pig

Not a CAP aircraft, but in an LE aircraft.  I was at 4500ft and got hit with a high intensity green laser.  For a brief moment, I thought I was having a medical condition.  It literally turned the entire cockpit the most brilliant color of green I have ever seen.  I made a hard bank and called in the ground guys.  Nobody was caught unfortunately. 

desertengineer1

About a month ago, someone was illuminating aircraft with a green laser at BWI from the Arundel Mills mall area.  We were departing the pattern and heard a commercial pilot report it to the controller.  I don't think anyone responded to it.

Thankfully, there's not enough energy in these to do damage. 

Майор Хаткевич

I know this is a bad thing, but for night time missions wouldn't this be the most effective "signal mirror"?

SJFedor

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on December 18, 2009, 01:49:09 PM
I know this is a bad thing, but for night time missions wouldn't this be the most effective "signal mirror"?

No. It creates a hazardous condition to the flight crew.

Use a flare or a strobe, something that's gonna hurt your eyes with you standing next to it, but not mine from 1000ft.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Flying Pig

Shining the laser around as a signal isnt the problem.  Its shining it AT the airplane that causes the problem. 

flynd94

I had the pleasure of being hit by laser light on approach into IAH (Houston) back in 07.  This is taken very seriously, both the CA and, I were interviewed by the FBI.  I was looking away as the PM but, the CA was hit with the laser light.  I had to take over the controls of the aircraft and, make the landing.  He was seeing spots for days, for a profession that requires good eyesight, its a scary ordeal to go though.

I do believe that a couple of months ago, a person was convicted of pointing laser light at commercial jets.  I believe they got a couple of years in the Federal Pen.
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

SilverEagle2

Not to long ago, an Apache was hit with one over the south part of SLC valley. He immediately locked into a hover and located the source. Called in the Sheriff and  the individual was apprehended. I think the sight of a low level Apache locked into a steady hover over my house would be far scarier than the arresting officer though.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

TACP

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on December 18, 2009, 01:49:09 PM

In the Air Force community these 'Green Beems' are used by tactical air controllers for night close air support. They can be very dangerous though, and the application in the civilian world would't be very practical.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 18, 2009, 02:55:34 PM
Shining the laser around as a signal isnt the problem.  Its shining it AT the airplane that causes the problem.

Agreed.  I have used a green laser shined straight up (AFTER checking for aircraft) that showed my position to CAP aircraft when the yellow on the roof proved inadequate.     

As for other uses:

Pointing to objects on towers, in trees, on hangars, or otherwise at a distance, especially during the daytime.

Pointing out stars - useful for showing the North Star (for use as a geographical reference)

Aiming antennas at a distance that have narrow beamwidths