Aviator Shirt question

Started by Phillip, October 16, 2006, 03:21:56 AM

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have this:

It's more or less like the Air Force issue shirt, except white.

It had the eyelets for wings but if you are fair with a seam ripper and iron, you can make those largely go away...plus my ribbons hide that.

Re the black windbreaker - that's authorised for the CSU (which I wear), but that's going away in about six months, though I would think you could wear it without insignia with the white/grey after that (?) and as a nice civilian jacket (?).  A former boss of mine was retired AF and wore his blue AF waist-length jacket without insignia.

Props to what Eclipse said about junk in the pockets.

As to the grey trousers, I cannot advise since I've never owned any, but it's quite likely you'll have some colleagues who do.

After the CSU phaseout is done, if I'm not in H/W compliance for my AF blues (I'm barely within it now; some of the meds I take have an unfortunate weight-gain side effect), there's a Law Enforcement supply place not far from where I live and I may see if they have grey uniform trousers, since some Police/Correctional agencies wear them, though I don't believe the ones with a stripe down the side are authorised for CAP.  If I have to wear the grey trousers, I want them to look like uniform trousers.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SARDOC

CYBORG...Thanks for the Tip.  Looking at the Pilot House website it looks like they sell that Shirt without the wing holes too.  I like the looks of the style, I was thinking more like the Quality of the material.  The VH Aviator Shirts are just way too thin for my tastes...I don't mind spending the couple of extra bucks to get a better quality shirt. 

I'm good on Gray Trousers....Kohl's is my Friend...very good selection of Gray professional looking trousers

PA Guy

The shirts from Pilot House come in a variety of materials.  I prefer the 100% cotton in the style shown above it is more substantial than the VH product.

vento

Van Heusen also makes white pilot's shirt in the USAF style, both short and long sleeves. I got mine from here http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/2454

SarDragon

Check at the pilot shop at your local airport.

Additional info here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARDOC

Just a quick Little update.  I ordered from Pilot House and they shipped the next day and were in my mailbox three days from ordering.  Checking out the shirt, I'm very happy with the quality, style and fit of the shirt.  Thanks all for the recommendations and advice.

The CyBorg is destroyed

That's customer service.

I'll be looking at Pilot House from here on out.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CyBorg on June 10, 2011, 03:20:43 PM
That's customer service.

I'll be looking at Pilot House from here on out.

Actually, that's Order processing time. Customer Service is what they do when the shirt is wrong/damaged/etc.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: CyBorg on June 06, 2011, 03:32:37 AM
I have this:

Re the black windbreaker - that's authorised for the CSU (which I wear), but that's going away in about six months, though I would think you could wear it without insignia with the white/grey after that (?) and as a nice civilian jacket (?).  A former boss of mine was retired AF and wore his blue AF waist-length jacket without insignia.

After the CSU phaseout is done, if I'm not in H/W compliance for my AF blues (I'm barely within it now; some of the meds I take have an unfortunate weight-gain side effect), there's a Law Enforcement supply place not far from where I live and I may see if they have grey uniform trousers, since some Police/Correctional agencies wear them, though I don't believe the ones with a stripe down the side are authorised for CAP.  If I have to wear the grey trousers, I want them to look like uniform trousers.
The AF always authorized the use blue jacket if the rank was removed for use with civilian clothing.  HOWEVER, the new jackets have the AF emblem on it and I don't think the item can be used with civilian clothes.

I am sorry to hear that you are on medication for a problem that affects weight gain :(

HOWEVER, why do you think ONLY personnel who can't meet the weight/height/grooming requirements for the AF style uniform wear the white/grey combination ???.  I meet the requirements, but frankly I'm not going to pay out the amount of money it costs to be in full compliance with wearing an AF style uniform.  For some adults it does get down to what they want to do with their disposable income, and I just don't see a CAP AF style uniform as high on my list :angel:

Likely the cost factor with ANY uniform changes is what the various national boards have to contend with.   NO one who bought the CSU is very happy about the phase out.  My advice, buy minimum uniform(s) you need for what you want to do in CAP :angel:
RM   

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 10, 2011, 11:45:57 PM
The AF always authorized the use blue jacket if the rank was removed for use with civilian clothing.  HOWEVER, the new jackets have the AF emblem on it and I don't think the item can be used with civilian clothes. 
As issued straight out of stock, the jackets are without the USAF emblem; the addition of the emblem is optional. AFI 36-2903 has the embroidery specification that one can take to a shop and have it done. Once the emblem is added, the jacket cannot be worn with civilian clothes.
Quote from: AFI 36-2903, page 52, table 2-1, line 8
Indoor or outdoor garment; Zip up at least halfway; not authorized for wear when service dress uniform is
designated or more appropriate. May wear over pullover and cardigan sweaters. Partially lined, water repellent,
waist length, zipper front, with two slant pockets and knitted cuffs and waistband; worn with or without insulated
liner. The AF Symbol may be embroidered on the jacket at member's expense. May not be worn with civilian clothes
if the AF symbol is embroidered on the jacket.

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

The CyBorg is destroyed

I am sorry to hear that you are on medication for a problem that affects weight gain :(

Don't be.  Life happens.  The meds aren't for weight gain, but that's a side effect.  I was basically a beanpole up until having to take the meds.

HOWEVER, why do you think ONLY personnel who can't meet the weight/height/grooming requirements for the AF style uniform wear the white/grey combination ???

Likely the cost factor with ANY uniform changes is what the various national boards have to contend with.   NO one who bought the CSU is very happy about the phase out.  My advice, buy minimum uniform(s) you need for what you want to do in CAP :angel:
RM   

In my first CAP squadron, everyone wore the AF blue uniform, and when it came time for me to get the minimum-required uniform, that was what I got.  I didn't know there were other kinds until my first Wing activity, and back then the grey uniform was quite different - no epaulettes, no ribbons, and you wore the same nameplate worn on the blazer.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

titanII

Quote from: CyBorg on June 12, 2011, 02:54:26 AM
In my first CAP squadron, everyone wore the AF blue uniform, and when it came time for me to get the minimum-required uniform, that was what I got.  I didn't know there were other kinds until my first Wing activity
Same with me. My first wing activity I was thinking "why are these people in civvies with their insignia on". Ahhh yes, my days of ignorance. :D
No longer active on CAP talk