Aviator Shirt question

Started by Phillip, October 16, 2006, 03:21:56 AM

Phillip

What exactly constitutes an aviator shirt?  Is it merely a white button up shirt with epaulets?  Does the pocket style have any bearing on the issue?

The reason I ask is that I own a shirt by Van Heusen, which they market as The Pilot Shirt.  It is identical to the AF Blue service shirt, except the color of course.

Captain

Pylon

Quote from: Phillip on October 16, 2006, 03:21:56 AM
What exactly constitutes an aviator shirt?  Is it merely a white button up shirt with epaulets?  Does the pocket style have any bearing on the issue?

The reason I ask is that I own a shirt by Van Heusen, which they market as The Pilot Shirt.  It is identical to the AF Blue service shirt, except the color of course.

There is no specified style.  Your Van Heusen is probably the standard among most senior members wearing that uniform, and the two aviator shirts I own are Van Heusens.

With the AF clothing items, CAPM 39-1 requires they be tagged with an Air Force certification number, which ensures that they meet AF-standards.  That way there's no question whether or not it's the right "style" uniform item, and the USAF takes care of all the certifying for us. 

But for corporate uniforms, there's no established "brand" or "tag" the clothes have to have.  A blue blazer is a blue blazer... any brand of medium grey pants are fine... whatever type of black dress belt you wear is kosher... any white dress shirt with epaulets and pockets can work for the aviator shirt... etc.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon link=topic=947.msg10955#msg10955... any brand of medium grey pants are fine...

They need to be "dress" style trousers - dockers or similiar are not allowed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Phillip

Quote from: Eclipse on October 16, 2006, 02:18:19 PM
Quote from: Pylon link=topic=947.msg10955#msg10955... any brand of medium grey pants are fine...

What is it specifically that disallows Dockers?
Captain

SarDragon

Quote from: Phillip on October 17, 2006, 03:15:32 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 16, 2006, 02:18:19 PM

What is it specifically that disallows Dockers?

Blazer - CAPM 39-1, pg 80, Table 4-1, and pg 81, Table 4-2; Aviator Shirt - pg 83, Table 4-3.

Golf/polo shirt - pg 84, Table 4-4, "Cotton/twill weave trousers are
authorized (no jeans)."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Phillip

Thank you gentlemen.  Your responses have been very helpful  8)
Captain

pixelwonk

To add to what Mike said,  not only is there no specified style,  Ms Parker at NHQ has stated that the above styled shirt is an approved component of the CAP Distinctive Service Dress.

Dockers are "nice pants:)

AlphaSigOU

As for the kind of white shirt specified for the TPU or the CAP grays, all 39-1 specifies is an aviator style shirt, which is defined as a shirt with flap pockets and epaulets.

As mentioned above, the "Aviator" shirt made by Van Heusen is the most commonly available, though I prefer the shirts made by Pilot House, which are oxford cloth (the VH Aviators are a little too thin for my liking) and styled nearly identical to the AF-style light blue shirt.

Be aware of the following, though:

Don't get the shirts with eyelets pre-cut for pilot wings. Our insignia isn't designed that way. Only saving grace is that you'll never go wrong putting wings on your uniform!  ;D

Police-style shirts with the scalloped flap pockets and pre-sewn military creases are a no-go.

Avoid getting the shirts that have the velcro closure on the top of the flap pocket - resist the temptation of putting pens, pencils, glasses, etc. in them.

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 21, 2006, 08:49:11 PMAvoid getting the shirts that have the velcro closure on the top of the flap pocket - resist the temptation of putting pens, pencils, glasses, etc. in them.

:clap:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

You should have NOTHING in the pockets of your whites, TPU, blues, and I  discourage anything bulky in BDU blouse pockets. Maybe a flat whistle, or your form 60's, but that's it.

I love it when you see a BDU blouse with the word "AIR" all streaked with blue, where some goof has been putting a pen in and out.  Or better still a pen broke in the blouse pocket, and they still wear the uniform - blue stain and all.  Tuck your pen in the roll of the Left button flap - INSIDE.

At a recent conference, a few guys were wearing the TPU, and I noticed one had an unsual black and silver ribbon - upon closer inspection it turned out to be a matched set of pens.   ::)  REALLY SHARP!

"That Others May Zoom"

Phillip

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 21, 2006, 08:49:11 PM
As mentioned above, the "Aviator" shirt made by Van Heusen is the most commonly available, though I prefer the shirts made by Pilot House,

I didn't know about Pilot House until just recently.  I have a number of Van Heusen "civilian" shirts that I wear for work, so I was familiar and pleased with their quality.  The pocket style was a factor too.   :)

I must add that the shirt I posted in the topic opener does have eyelets for the wings, though they do not work for our purposes.  However, they are easily removed without damage to the shirt if you have nothing to do for an afternoon.

I wore the uniform to my squadron's meeting this week and it received rave reviews.  There were no pens in my pockets.   ;D

Now to find that windbreaker....
Captain

MIKE

Quote from: Phillip on October 21, 2006, 11:06:29 PM
Now to find that windbreaker....

An AAFES that stocks Army officer uniforms... Since most CAP members likely don't have NEX privileges. The officer version of the Army black windbreaker has the knit collar.
Mike Johnston

AlphaSigOU

How many times have I kindly and gently informed my fellow squadron members not to wear pens on the shirt pocket of blues/TPUs/grays/BDUs? And the occasional person who loves hanging their glasses/sunglasses in the pocket merely because it's convenient to do so? Way too many times to count. And what's worse, it's starting to slip into the cadet ranks. I can Powerpoint 'em to death with uniform wear presentations, but until the powers that be start doing uniform inspections on seniors on a regular basis, we're gonna have deja vu all over again, to quote Yogi Berra.

I guess being a former cadink, where uniform wear was strictly enforced (especially in the squadrons I was in WIWAC), does show.  And we all know the Oooold Cadet Program (how old depends on how long it's been since you were a cadink) was the best Cadet Program... ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

What the powers that be at NHQ CAP need to do is to standardize the white aviator shirt types. Simply stating 'aviator-type shirt' just leaves it wide open to interpretation. Here are pictures of the two major types of shirts discussed:

Van Heusen Aviator:

Pocket flaps are similar to the old USAF shade 1550 light blue short sleeve shirt without epaulets from the 1970s. Poplin fabric. Short and long sleeve available.

Pilot House:

Pocket flaps are pleated and styled nearly identical to the current USAF shade 1550 light blue shirt. Heavier oxford cloth. Available both in a tapered and in a relaxed fit. Short and long sleeve available.

When you order any shirt from Pilot House, for an additional ten cents they'll sell you an iron-on reinforcement that is placed behind where your wings are normally placed; if the only blingage you wear on grays/TPUs are wings. Might also be useful for nametags.

Disclaimer: I don't work for or shill for Pilot House; merely a satisfied customer.

KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MIKE

All they would have to do is put one of those "Only the style stocked by Vanguard is authorized." blurbs in CAPM 39-1.  8)

AlphaSigOU said cadink:o  :D
Mike Johnston

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: MIKE on October 22, 2006, 03:16:52 PMAlphaSigOU said cadink:o  :D

Guilty as charged... but mentioned in jest! (Waiting for the paddy wagon to send me up the river...  ;D)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SARDOC

Does anybody know a commercial vendor other than mail order to get the pilot house shirt..like specific uniform shops or anything like that so I could see this product before I buy it.  Thanks

coudano

Quote from: SARDOC on June 06, 2011, 12:32:35 AM
Does anybody know a commercial vendor other than mail order to get the pilot house shirt..like specific uniform shops or anything like that so I could see this product before I buy it.  Thanks

chances seem pretty high that a senior member near you probably owns one?

SARDOC

^  Yeah  Tried that...still haven't seen one in person.   Thanks though

PHall

Go down to the airport and look at what the airline pilots are wearing?

SARDOC

Quote from: PHall on June 06, 2011, 03:14:08 AM
Go down to the airport and look at what the airline pilots are wearing?
Thanks...that just sounds a little Suspicious and/or Creepy ;D