Main Menu

A few fundraising beefs

Started by Orville_third, December 05, 2009, 10:49:41 PM

Orville_third

I understand CAP's fundraising policies, and how they aim to protect our independence , our non-profit status and our reputation. However, it seems that many potential fundraising opportunities are being overlooked or restricted under some of the rules. Three examples:
1. A local restaurant has offered to let our cadets serve tables on a specific night, in exchange for which the restaurant will donate 10% of the profits to CAP. In order to be authorized to do this (We may not have been the times we did it before...), we had to have approval from NHQ.
2. A local/semi-local grocery chain offers donations to churches, charities and other local non-profits when you use their customer loyalty card. i mentioned this to our Squadron Commander, and he informed me that we either couldn't do that or were unable to do that without National's approval.
3. Our state permits individuals to pay a bit more or get back a bit less on their State Tax returns for various causes (Endangered Wildlife, Child Abuse Prevention, ElderCare, Veteran's Trust, Organ Donation, First Steps School Readiness, Litter Control, War Between the States Heritage Trust fund, Law Enforcement Assistance Fund, Public Education Fund, State Park Fund, Military Family Relief Fund, State Conservation Bank Fund, Financial Literacy Trust Fund). I brought up the suggestion to my Squadron commander that someone should promote a CAP fund. (Of course, that would not only require National's approval, but also require someone outside CAP promoting it in the State Legislature...)
Captain Orville Eastland, CAP
Squadron Historian
Public Affairs Officer
Greenville Composite Squadron
SC Wing

Eclipse

#1 The issue is not the duty, its the percentage fundraising, because in cases like those it would be nearly impossible to verify the gross receipts.  You could still probably get your Wing CC's approval if you simply agree to a flat donation vs. a percentage.

#2 should be simple to get approved.  Its not a big deal, prob only needs Wing-level approval.

#3 is something that would need to be spearheaded at the wing level, probably by the legislative coordinator - I don't see it as inappropriate if you can get the legislature to approve it.

Wing or NHQ approval for well thought-out and documented fundraisers is not that big a deal, but people treat it as an excuse to not even ask.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

For #2 if individuals are using their personal loyalty cards and personally setting the recipient for the donation then there is no CAP involvement, that's not a unit level fundraiser it's a personal "gift".

IF, the unit has to register with the store to get on a recipient list then you need the wing CC to sign a piece of paper allowing that.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

I'm not sure it would be worth the effort for the tax checkoff--from what I've heard they're being used by fewer people and not really raising that much money.  That may just be my state though.  It would probably be better to work with the legislature to get an annual appropriation for CAP like 2/3 of the states have. 

FW

Unless the rules have changed since Sept.:

#1 is OK and should not need approval by NHQ.  "Percentage Fundraising" has to do with outside "professional" individuals or agencies selling "ad books" and giving a percentage of the funds to the unit.  These are usually frauds and money usually goes into the hands of the agency; not the unit.  A local business having a "CAP" night and giving 10% of the (gross) profits is OK.  Wing permission is needed.

#2 is also OK; it's just not very profitable (unit gets about 1% of sales receipts). Wing permission is needed.

#3 is something I never heard about however, NHQ would probably consider it part of a state appropriation and, would not need national's approval.  It's between the wing and the legislature.

CadetProgramGuy

Why not head out to your local airport, throw on a chili feed? (as opposed to a flight breakfast)

Head out into the community and solicit donations from the grocery stores to get the meat, beans, bowls, ect.....(Wal-Mart, Sam's) then go at it.

Here in Iowa with the weather turning into the white stuff, I would love to fly into a chili feed.....

Spike

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 06, 2009, 08:07:14 AM
Here in Iowa with the weather turning into the white stuff, I would love to fly into a chili feed.....

Oh man.......that is an awesome idea.  Let us know when you are doing that and save me a seat.

Really.... now, about a year ago, Olive Garden had a program where nonprofits passed out tickets that said "eat on this date and present this ticket to your waiter/waitress upon paying your check".  The nonprofit got 23% of the total bill of every party that had a ticket.  They limited it to 100 tickets, but we made about $200.00  We did this 6 times and and made just around $2,000 for doing NOTHING at all, but passing out tickets.

Fundraising is much more simpler than everyone thinks.  All you need to do is estimate the amount of money you think you will receive from fundraising, and get the Wing Commander to sign off on everything.  For your Squadron Commander to say that "it's not a good idea, or too complicated etc" means he or she does not want to be troubled getting approval or actually doing work.   

Westernslope

Even though the percentage is small, #2 can be very profitable if there are a number of participants. I heard about this program during a DDR training call and asked my Commander and a local store if we could participate. Both agreed.

The local store allowed us to have a DDR booth at the front of the store during Red Ribbon week. The store also had an employee next to the booth asking people if they wanted to sign up for the reward card. The employee then asked new and existing custormers who stopped by the booth if they would like to designate us as "charity". There were about 700 people who designated us. We just got the first check and it was just a little over $350 for last week of Oct thru Nov 15th.  Of course, this may be higher than most months since many people may have started their Thanskgiving shopping. I can hardly wait for the December check since people will be buying lots of food for Christmas as well.

Eclipse

Quote from: Westernslope on December 06, 2009, 05:05:35 PM
Even though the percentage is small, #2 can be very profitable if there are a number of participants. I heard about this program during a DDR training call and asked my Commander and a local store if we could participate. Both agreed.

Great, for the sake of the story, the assumption,  of course, is that the Wing CC approved in writing as well (as per 173-4).

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Spike on December 06, 2009, 02:14:45 PM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 06, 2009, 08:07:14 AM

Oh man.......that is an awesome idea.  Let us know when you are doing that and save me a seat.

Really.... now, about a year ago, Olive Garden had a program where nonprofits passed out tickets that said "eat on this date and present this ticket to your waiter/waitress upon paying your check".  The nonprofit got 23% of the total bill of every party that had a ticket.  They limited it to 100 tickets, but we made about $200.00  We did this 6 times and and made just around $2,000 for doing NOTHING at all, but passing out tickets.

Fundraising is much more simpler than everyone thinks.  All you need to do is estimate the amount of money you think you will receive from fundraising, and get the Wing Commander to sign off on everything.  For your Squadron Commander to say that "it's not a good idea, or too complicated etc" means he or she does not want to be troubled getting approval or actually doing work.   

Passed it onto the squadron, I like the idea, lets see what the thought is.