Cadet Moral Leadership; Computer-based Interactive Training

Started by Bobble, December 03, 2009, 07:49:16 PM

Bobble

Over the last few weeks, I have been looking for and collecting training materials suitable for use during our squadron's ML discussion periods.  I came across this:

http://www.usna.edu/ethics/LastCall.htm

After further web-browsing, I came across this:

http://www.willinteractive.com/gator-six

I would love to have programs like these, but oriented towards cadet issues, to use as a teaching tool.  Does anyone know if something similiar is available for CAP use?  Thanks.
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

Major Lord

The chaplains have a publication containing the topics for moral leadership, the name of which escapes me. No doubt one of the chaplains monitoring this board will know the name. Having a consistent guide keeps squadrons from free-lancing too much and teaching out of the book of the dead or the kama sutra......I don't believe that regular cadet programs people even are aware that the Chaplains have the resource, but I am pretty sure a Moral Leadership Officer can get a hold of it easily enough. My info may be outdated; I know that at one point, they even dropped the name "moral leadership" since they became eaten by the germs of political correctness for a bit but seem to have ingested the penicillin of righteousness once again >:D

Major Lord

ps, don't use anything the Navy says about Moral leadership for Buddhas sake!
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Major Lord on December 04, 2009, 12:07:02 AM
The chaplains have a publication containing the topics for moral leadership, the name of which escapes me. No doubt one of the chaplains monitoring this board will know the name. Having a consistent guide keeps squadrons from free-lancing too much and teaching out of the book of the dead or the kama sutra......I don't believe that regular cadet programs people even are aware that the Chaplains have the resource, but I am pretty sure a Moral Leadership Officer can get a hold of it easily enough. My info may be outdated; I know that at one point, they even dropped the name "moral leadership" since they became eaten by the germs of political correctness for a bit but seem to have ingested the penicillin of righteousness once again >:D

Major Lord

ps, don't use anything the Navy says about Moral leadership for Buddhas sake!

It's called "Values for Living" and its CAPP 265-2V1 & 265-2V2

V1: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P265_002V1_F805AB9F33424.pdf
V2: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P265_002V2_D431A44BF326E.pdf

They're pretty good for squadrons that don't have someone who "gets" what CD is about, or how to teach it and apply what CAP wants it to be.  However, once your cadets have been in for more than 1.5 years they start getting repeats - which lends itself to freelancing. 

My CDO does a great job of working from the book and freelancing some of the stuff, or even modifying the 265-2 topics to be more applicable to some real life situations that cadets in the unit are facing.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DogCollar

Character development for cadets is suppose to be a group activity.  Anything that is computer based must be used by the group together.  Just remember, for promotion the CAP Values for Living curriculum must be used!  I bring in lots of different resources, i.e. video clips (with copyright permission), music, etc...that augments the lessons in the established curriculum.  But, please don't use something in lieu of the approved curriculum.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Chappie

Quote from: DogCollar on December 04, 2009, 04:47:23 PM
Character development for cadets is suppose to be a group activity.  Anything that is computer based must be used by the group together.  Just remember, for promotion the CAP Values for Living curriculum must be used!  I bring in lots of different resources, i.e. video clips (with copyright permission), music, etc...that augments the lessons in the established curriculum.  But, please don't use something in lieu of the approved curriculum.

But, please don't use something in lieu of the approved curriculum.    That is said for a purpose.  The CAPP 265-2 goes out for public comment and has been approved by the Cadet Programs, Chaplain Corps, Legal, and everyone else at NHQ before it is released.  This is done for the protection of the corporation, chaplain, character development instructor or whoever is presenting the material as well as providing standardized training for the cadets.  While it may appear "restrictive" to some, it serves as preventive measure from someone to use the character development to advance their own personal agenda.

Efforts are being made to get curriculum out sooner than it has in the past.  That has been a concern that the Chaplain Corps Advisory Council and the Cadet Programs staff have been aware of and are addressing.  There is an edition that is being readied for publication even as we speak.

There are old issues/lessons of the "Values for Living" that have been scanned and can be updated to the current format (using a case study and the F-A-P-S format) with just a bit of time and creativity:
http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/chaplain_corps/cap_chaplain_corps_resources.cfm
I am sure that in the nearly 30 years of lessons found there, there would be a few that are still timely and relevant.  I know of a chaplain in the CAWG who has taken several of these and made them into powerpoint presentations for his squadron. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)