Main Menu

AC Per Hour Charge

Started by sdcapmx, November 22, 2009, 09:04:23 PM

sdcapmx

CAPR 173-3 states the minimum per hour charges for AC use.  Are there wings that are charging more than the published fees for 172 and 182 aircraft to recoup hangar fees etc.  The minimum rates for a 172 is $28 and the 182 is $36 iaw 173-3.

Eclipse

Last I checked mine were $30 for 172 and $35 for 182 (having just come down some from the previous year.

Most, if not all, the planes we have hangared are being done so for free (AFAIK).

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

I know of one squadorn that charges a $10 plus up to recover costs not paid for by wing....hangar, chocks, etc.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Short Field

The CAPR 173-3 AC per hour charge is a "dry" rate that covers minor maintenance costs.  Fuel is a separate expense and more than doubles the expense of operating an aircraft.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

FW

RiverAux

There is quite a bit of latitude to charge our "customers" more than the minimums....

Flying Pig

There was a directive that came out some time ago forbidding the practice of over charging.  At least in CAWG there was. Not sure about "customers" but members cannot be overcharged and Sq's cannot make up any surcharges to add to the hourly rate.

sdcapmx

Yes Short Field, I am well aware that that is the dry cost.  Some wings subsidize the mx costs from money received from their states or other sources so that is probably why some may have cheaper rates for members.  I am trying to build a case to have our rates raised $5 per hour to help pay for hangars etc.  That is why I am asking. 

sdcapmx

Flying Pig, read CAPR 173-3 for your answer.  We can charge more than the stated mx fees in that reg.

IceNine

^ That may be so anywhere else but in CA.  Apparently in CA they can't because of command directive.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

One of a dozen reasons I am glad we don't assign airplanes to units...

"That Others May Zoom"

SarMaster

But wait...in FL we do assign a/c to units...in fact groups are operational and basically do thier own thing...So its 7 mini wings in FL...each with thier own lil kingdom and wing commander.  So far it dosent work....I cant wait to say ' i told you so'.

Semper Gumby!

RiverAux

What does the AC charge have to do with plane assignments? 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on November 23, 2009, 03:06:33 AM

The wing maintains full control over the aircraft with standard use rates wing-wide.

All maintenance, oil, etc., is consolidated with no room for local personalities to treat the aircraft use as a fundraiser.

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

Quote from: sdcapmx on November 23, 2009, 12:54:14 AM
I am trying to build a case to have our rates raised $5 per hour to help pay for hangars etc.  That is why I am asking.

Our squadron raised our cost by $10 per hour to help cover the cost of the hangar and various other aircraft costs.  The Wing charges a fixed rate to fly the CAP aircraft.  This is a "wet" rate.  We added $10 to that rate.  It only applied to member funded flying, not wing funded flying (SARs, SAREXs, funded Fm 5, Fm 91, & O rides).   The squadron had two aircraft assigned at the time and the yearly hangar fees were greater than what we took in with squadron dues.   There was a lot of griping from non-squadron members when we did it and I remember several wing staff members refusing to pay because they were "wing staff" and above all squadron rules.   

We really didn't see that much money come in because at about the same time the Wing discontinued its discounted flying hour program due to funding and member funded flights dropped significantly.

I have heard of squadrons that charge all the squadron's pilots a flat rate ($5 a month or something like that) as a flying fee to cover the additional costs of the aircraft.

If a squadron is footing the bill for aircraft related expenses, the money has to come from somewhere.  I see no reason to not raise the money from the people flying the airplane.  It is still the cheapest flying out there.
Wilson #2640

Short Field

Quote from: Eclipse on November 23, 2009, 03:09:31 AM
All maintenance, oil, etc., is consolidated with no room for local personalities to treat the aircraft use as a fundraiser.

There is a big difference between using it as a fundraiser and making it pay it own way.  Window cleaner and polish are not cheap and hangar fees can put it way beyond misc expenses.     
Wilson #2640

sdcapmx

Great input for the most part.  Now specifically what states are charging what rates for the AC MX fee?

FW

Quote from: Eclipse on November 23, 2009, 03:09:31 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on November 23, 2009, 03:06:33 AM

The wing maintains full control over the aircraft with standard use rates wing-wide.

??  Um, any money generated from aircraft use is to be only allocated to aircraft expenses.  This includes hanger, fuel, oil, polish, etc.  I hope no one is using the extra cash for "other" reasons...

The aircraft maint. fee is a standard rate which is shown in 173-3.  Wings can NOT charge less than this since it is given to NHQ for the CMX expenses.    Any other expense charged by the wing is their problem and the Wing/CC's responsibility.

Thrashed

PA Wing:
Rate per hobbs hour:
C172 = $66.00
C182 = $95.00
C182RG = $110.00
C206 = $118.00
Maule = $83.00
GA8 = $102.00

"These rates reflect the revised consolidated maintenance rates, fuel, tie down/hangar and equipment."

Save the triangle thingy