Any news on the Minnesota search?

Started by Nomex Maximus, November 17, 2009, 01:07:20 PM

Nomex Maximus

Without violating OPSEC, does anyone have any news about the search in Minnesota? If it is still going on, how does someone from another wing volunteer to go?
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

RiverAux

According to stories my internet news gatherer is picking up, it seems to still be going on. 
As to volunteering to help out, I'm assuming that you're in an adjacent state or else VERY dedicated....but, that will depend on when MN Wing calls for additional resources.  Apparently they've had 12 planes flying.  I'd just make your squadron commander aware of your availability.  I suspect if it goes on for much longer they will be in need of replacement crews. 

Майор Хаткевич

A.Member

Found

QuoteThe body of Andrew Lindberg was found this morning with his downed plane in a remote, wooded area 21 miles east of Mahnomen, Minn., in a remote area of the north-central part of the state.

Deputies from Clearwater and Mahnomen Counties reached the plane this morning, said Jeanine Brand, Clearwater County States Attorney who also serves as the county's public information officer.

Officials confirmed the body was that of Lindberg, she said.

Note:  CAP crews did not find this aircraft.  A private pilot spotted the wreckage.

It's also interesting to note the PAO's comments as reported in the article:
QuoteMinnesota Civil Air Patrol spokesman Al Pabon, who is coordinating the patrol's search, would only say that a search will continue today. He said he had no official comment about any wreckage found.

Similar comments were published in most other media outlets covering the story.  This raises a number of serious questions as to the level of cooperation/communication between CAP and other agencies in this effort.  The statement above does reflect well on CAP.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Майор Хаткевич

Maybe an out of context from last night/PRE find?

A.Member

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 18, 2009, 06:28:04 PM
Maybe an out of context from last night/PRE find?
Could be.  Unknown.

But is does beg the question about the lines of communication both internally and externally. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

isuhawkeye

Joint Information Center (JIC)
Joint Information System (JIS)

RiverAux

Quote from: A.Member on November 18, 2009, 05:30:44 PM
QuoteMinnesota Civil Air Patrol spokesman Al Pabon, who is coordinating the patrol's search, would only say that a search will continue today. He said he had no official comment about any wreckage found.

Similar comments were published in most other media outlets covering the story.  This raises a number of serious questions as to the level of cooperation/communication between CAP and other agencies in this effort.  The statement above does reflect well on CAP.
I believe that at the time that story came out the wreckage had not been ground-checked so there was no way to know if it was the right plane or not and CAP may or may not have been involved by the local about the find at that time, so just what could he have said?  You've got to restrict your comments to what you know and at that point it didn't appear to be much.  And, as a general rule, once wreckage is found CAP usually lets the other agencies involve do the public affairs anyway. 

A.Member

Quote from: RiverAux on November 18, 2009, 08:56:47 PM
Quote from: A.Member on November 18, 2009, 05:30:44 PM

I believe that at the time that story came out the wreckage had not been ground-checked so there was no way to know if it was the right plane or not and CAP may or may not have been involved by the local about the find at that time, so just what could he have said?  You've got to restrict your comments to what you know and at that point it didn't appear to be much.  And, as a general rule, once wreckage is found CAP usually lets the other agencies involve do the public affairs anyway.
I understand and it's certainly possible that some of the issue could be a result of the way the reporter chose to write the story. 

However, perhaps a better response could've been worded something to this effect:
"We're aware of those reports but do not have any new information to share with you at this time.  Our teams will continue search operations until a find is confirmed."

or

"Throughout the search we've received a lot of information and leads.  We continue to work with various agencies to confirm each of these. Our teams are scheduled to continue search operations until a find is confirmed.

The differences from the examples above and that which was actually reported are subtle but important.

arajca

You're quoting what the reporter wrote, not what the Mr Pabon said.

He could have very well said something closely resembling the examples brought forth, but the reporter didn't write it that way. It's not uncommon for reporters to summarize or paraphrase PAOs, which can change the impression of what was actually said.

Fubar

According to the StarTribune, which appears to be the major paper for MN, a private pilot spotted the wreckage. The Civil Air Patrol was not mentioned anywhere in the article, not even a mention for previous five days of searching they did.

Other sources stated the missing pilot's family (with a couple of deputies in tow) hiked towards the crash site after nightfall but could not locate it. They camped for the night and a State Patrol helicopter directed the group to the crash site in the morning.

MSgt Van

Let the typical armchair quarterback bickering begin...

A.Member

Quote from: arajca on November 19, 2009, 12:38:36 AM
You're quoting what the reporter wrote, not what the Mr Pabon said.

Yes, that's exactly why I said:
Quote from: me...it's certainly possible that some of the issue could be a result of the way the reporter chose to write the story.

I've seen Al post here a few times and he comes across as a bit more tactful.  Either way, this really emphasis the care that is needed when dealing with the media.  They have the ability to influence the way the organization is perceived, good or bad, right or wrong.