Main Menu

Air force museum lodging?

Started by esilassy, November 14, 2009, 03:56:51 PM

esilassy

Ok, I am getting nowhere fast and since CT has all the answers, I was wondering if you could help me.  I want to take a trip to Wright-pat AF museum this summer, and can't get any info on how to arrange on base housing.  I am thinking of a leave thursday and come home sunday thing.  I am AEO and newly minted Deputy commander for cadets and think this would be great for our cadets, but the answer is just not there.  Can anyone help?

MIKE

Mike Johnston

a2capt

There's also an exit in Dayton thats got a Super Wally World and a crap ton of motels. Super 8, the 'Six, etc. That is relatively nearby. I was there a few months ago. I could dig out receipts for exact info.

esilassy

Please, I can't get people to pay for stuff like unifroms let alone an actual hotel.  >:D

PA Guy

You will need a MSA issued by your State Director.  VAQ/VOQ room rates at WPAFB run approx. $35-$39/night.

SarDragon

^^^^

What he said. TANSTAAFL, any more. If you'fe looking for free lodging, it's not gonna happen.

[There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Nolan Teel

I hate to say it but CAP costs money...  It's great that cadets get a uniform issued to them, but they usually out grow in a year or so.  If a member can't afford uniforms... well... I'm out of ideas...  CAP requires uniforms... Most activities cost money in life. 

If you double bunk cadets at a hotel that's close that will cut down on money.  A lot of hotels offer some type of breakfast so there's one meal covered.

You can always consider doing a fundraiser to target raising money for a trip to the Air Force Museum. 

Also see if the State Director can set up Military Airlift.  Any C130 units near by? 

MIKE

Quote from: Nolan Teel on November 14, 2009, 08:17:53 PM
Also see if the State Director can set up Military Airlift.  Any C130 units near by?

There's a war on.

Come And Pay.  Cash And Plastic accepted.
Mike Johnston

esilassy

Trust me, I know it is come and pay.  I might want to look into the hotel option.  There are c-130's near us, but I doubt that. 

RADIOMAN015

The base has a family campground see: 
http://www.wpodr.com/famcamp.htm

Looks like a site cost $22.00, but that might be for a RV pad with a hook up and not necessarily a tent site(s), which they might give you a break on.

Another option is to contact the local unit on base, perhaps they will let you sleep in their building or may have another less expensive option for you.

RM

Nolan Teel

Quote from: MIKE on November 14, 2009, 08:21:40 PM
Quote from: Nolan Teel on November 14, 2009, 08:17:53 PM

There's a war on.

Come And Pay.  Cash And Plastic accepted.

Not all C130s deploy, someone somewhere is doing training.

Nolan Teel

Get in touch with the Local CAP Unit, perhaps they can set up something like IACE where you come and stay with local members?  Good way for Cadets to make new friends!

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on November 15, 2009, 11:05:00 PM
The base has a family campground see: 
http://www.wpodr.com/famcamp.htm

Looks like a site cost $22.00, but that might be for a RV pad with a hook up and not necessarily a tent site(s), which they might give you a break on.
Well looks like it is $10.00 per person for the primative sites so to speak see:
http://www.wpodr.com/scout.htm

RM

Johnny Yuma

Better look at civilian lodging.

A buddy of mine's retired USAF and is in and out of the area often. He says that there's barely enough billeting for transient USAF personnel and sometimes not even then.

He and I were talking a couple weeks ago about going to the Hamvention 2010 in Dayton and I brought up the subject of USAF billeting for the weekend when he shot that idea down.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven: