Cadet Completion of AFIADL Course 13

Started by jimmydeanno, November 05, 2009, 01:19:00 PM

jimmydeanno

From another thread:

Quote from: jimmydeannoI would be interested in finding out how many cadets choose the AFIADL course in lieu of COS or RCLS.  I would suspect the number is very low considering that COS has 100+ attendees each year, RCLS' (so I'm told) graduate about 400 cadets a year. ...

Here's the data:

2005: 02 Cadets
2006: 12 Cadets
2007: 13 Cadets
2008: 19 Cadets
2009: 15 Cadets (so far)

TOTAL: 60 Cadets in 5 years.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 05, 2009, 01:19:00 PM
From another thread:

Quote from: jimmydeannoI would be interested in finding out how many cadets choose the AFIADL course in lieu of COS or RCLS.  I would suspect the number is very low considering that COS has 100+ attendees each year, RCLS' (so I'm told) graduate about 400 cadets a year. ...

Here's the data:

2005: 02 Cadets
2006: 12 Cadets
2007: 13 Cadets
2008: 19 Cadets
2009: 15 Cadets (so far)

TOTAL: 60 Cadets in 5 years.

Interesting. Did you call NHQ for the stats?

I'm wondering how many of these cadets took the Eaker compared to COS and RCLS

a2capt

Never having been through the cadet ranks, but out of curiosity, how much of the material is covered, in that just doing average but progressing in the ranks, how prepared would one be for Course 13?

I'm wondering if it's a decent/relevant alternative or just one they had to give because of low population/sparse offerings and not wanting to hold anyone back due to excessive travel or scheduling ..

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: a2capt on November 05, 2009, 05:56:45 PM
Never having been through the cadet ranks, but out of curiosity, how much of the material is covered, in that just doing average but progressing in the ranks, how prepared would one be for Course 13?

I'm wondering if it's a decent/relevant alternative or just one they had to give because of low population/sparse offerings and not wanting to hold anyone back due to excessive travel or scheduling ..

I ordered the test two years ago when I was at the peak of my activity, but never got around to taking the test. Most of the material was familiar though.

Cecil DP

There are benefits and drawbacks associated with a cadet taking the AFIADL Course.

1. There is no cohort as in with the COS and RCLs.
2. The cadet courses are like RSC, SLS, and CLC attendance courses. You pass as long as you attend the classes and don't screw up. The correspondence courses require an tests and a time limit and administered by the Air Force.

3. The AFIADL course carries into the senior program, the COS and RCLS  don't.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

SarDragon

I took ECI13 a while back, and got really bored with the whole thing about halfway through the second module. I scanned through the rest a bit, and then got the test ordered. A couple of weeks later, when the test showed up, I scanned through it again and took the test. I passed.

Much of the material I had learned as a cadet, and somehow retained/refreshed enough of to pass. Was it pretty? Nah. Did I achieve the training objective? Yup. A studious cadet could likely do the same thing.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

adamblank

I took the course as a cadet back in 2002.  I fortunately have now been involved with the RCLS process in 2008 and again this year.  After seeing both programs, I think RCLS or COS should definitely be a requirement.  I didn't get much out of AFIADL 13 as a C/Major and the interactions etc at RCLS can be a far better tool for the troops.
Adam Brandao

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: adamblank on November 05, 2009, 07:16:10 PM
I took the course as a cadet back in 2002.  I fortunately have now been involved with the RCLS process in 2008 and again this year.  After seeing both programs, I think RCLS or COS should definitely be a requirement.  I didn't get much out of AFIADL 13 as a C/Major and the interactions etc at RCLS can be a far better tool for the troops.

Of course that would also limit people like me.

-20 years old
-Full time student/worker
-Pay rent
-Live with significant other

I doubt I'd be able to go to COS due to costs/time required. RCLS is a better choice, but I don't even know where the GLR one is held (I think MIWG Encampment?).

davidsinn

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 05, 2009, 07:33:12 PM

Of course that would also limit people like me.

-20 years old
-Full time student/worker
-Pay rent
-Live with significant other

I doubt I'd be able to go to COS due to costs/time required. RCLS is a better choice, but I don't even know where the GLR one is held (I think MIWG Encampment?).

IDK about MIWG encampment but there is an RCLS held at GLR Southern in Kentucky.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

But cost you a weeks time and $500+ in costs and plane tickets.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on November 05, 2009, 08:06:36 PM

+ my $750 weekly.

davidsinn

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 05, 2009, 08:23:38 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on November 05, 2009, 08:06:36 PM

+ my $750 weekly.

Vacation time? You make more than me by at least 50%. :'(
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Airrace

Not a hard test to pass if you read or scan the material. The new test wil be online and I have heard is alot better in quality of material.

mynetdude

Just to be sure I know what COS, Cadet Officership School?

I just learned about RCLS for PCR I didn't even know there was such thing as RCLS and I have been in CAP since 2006. I am going to OR-WA joint encampment next month so I will also get to see some of the RCLS as they will be held at the same location so I am definitely excited to see some new stuff and possibly inspire me to pick up in new areas instead of being in a bad mood and having second thoughts.

mynetdude

Quote from: Airrace on November 05, 2009, 10:51:20 PM
Not a hard test to pass if you read or scan the material. The new test wil be online and I have heard is alot better in quality of material.

Any word if it will be harder? I thought I read/heard it would be. Quality is good, and I am sure there will be plenty of reading to do.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: mynetdude on November 07, 2009, 09:24:06 AM
Any word if it will be harder? I thought I read/heard it would be. Quality is good, and I am sure there will be plenty of reading to do.

I don't think it necessarily needs to be "harder."  But certainly, more comprehensive and relevant than today's course.  Harder doesn't necessarily translate to higher quality, which is what we want.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mynetdude

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 07, 2009, 06:55:32 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on November 07, 2009, 09:24:06 AM

I don't think it necessarily needs to be "harder."  But certainly, more comprehensive and relevant than today's course.  Harder doesn't necessarily translate to higher quality, which is what we want.

Thanks! That's a GREAT answer IMHO :)

EMT-83

From the information I received at the CTWG conference from someone involved with the new course, the format is as follows:

There are 3 modules, each with 9 chapters. Each chapter should take about 20 minutes to study, followed by a test. All told, 27 individual tests are taken to complete the program. If you fail a test, you are locked out of that chapter for 7 days before you can try again.

Ozzy

eh but serving as staff at encampments are excellent ways of gaining experience. I haven't been able to go to COS or RCLS since they all happened sometime during the same week... all except this year but being a 20-year old cadet doesn't allow me to dittle-dally til July...

I say an alternative to the Eaker could be serving at an encampment in an OIC or Squadron commander or higher...

Back on topic though, I received the material for the ECI-13 test and glanced through it. In regards to what I learned from my cadet career to the material... the ECI seems to be like another Earhart exam... history, communications, manuals/regs.......
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19