FAA WINGS Program

Started by Flying Pig, October 11, 2009, 04:22:48 AM

Flying Pig

I have completed the Basic and Advanced levels.  The Master Level is a little difficult unless you are a CFI.

My question is, after you finish the levels, what do you do next?  Just start over?  I realize the purpose is to continue your training, but after you've earned the awards is there anything else you can do for the awards process?  My employer ( and the insurance company) love seeing awards in our files.  Flying at work, with access to CFI's in my unit, I was able to go through the levels fairly quickly and Im not in a position to do my CFI.  Although, I am working on my Ground Instructor.

Flying Pig

Oh would you look at that, Google is our friend.

Initial WINGS Changes Announced
The WINGS - Pilot Proficiency Program requires that six (6) separate tasks be completed to a standard proficiency level (using an appropriate FAA Practical Test Standard) to earn a phase of WINGS. These tasks are determined after a review of primary accident causal factors reported in aircraft accident reports. These tasks presently fall into one of the following areas.
Knowledge Tasks
a) Aeronautical Decision Making
b) Performance and Limitations
c) Preflight Planning

Flight Tasks
a) Takeoffs and Landings
b) Aircraft Control
c) Basic Flying Skill

The typical user of the WINGS program fulfils these task requirements by taking online courses, attending seminars and events, and flying with an instructor. Currently there are three phases or levels in the WINGS – Pilot Proficiency Program: Basic, Advanced, and Master. For each phase or level of WINGS, the six activities specified by the FAASTeam must be completed within a twelve-month period to earn that phase of WINGS.

The FAASTeam will modify the system to work as follows:

There would still be three levels in the WINGS – Pilot Proficiency Program. However, the word "Basic" will no longer be used, as it connotes a meaning not intended by the FAASTeam.

In addition, within each level, pilots will be able to earn phases each time they complete the six tasks required by the FAASTeam. For example, when an airman completes the six tasks specified (three knowledge, three flight), they will have completed the first level and phase of WINGS, or WINGS Phase I. The airman can complete a phase of WINGS, consisting of six activities, as often as they would like. For each additional six specified activities an airmen completes, they will receive another phase of WINGS, for instance, WINGS Phase II. This will continue in like manner each time the airman completes an additional six activities, for instance, WINGS Phase III, WINGS Phase IV, etc.

An airmen who wishes to demonstrate a higher level of proficiency can earn the Advanced level of WINGS. They do this by demonstrating a higher level of proficiency while completing an additional set of six activities. An airmen can complete as many Advanced phases of WINGS as they would like, for instance, Advanced WINGS Phase II, Advanced WINGS Phase III, etc.

In addition, airmen can also complete a Master level of WINGS by completing an additional six tasks by demonstrating even greater proficiency. The Master level can also be completed as many times as possible and the airman earns phases just like they do for the previous levels.

This change will be implemented as part of the WINGS Upgrade planned for launch in December.

Thrashed

They keep changing the program.  I gave up on the Wings program about 10 years ago. The problem with the program is that the FAA is in charge of it.  ;D

Save the triangle thingy

bosshawk

I made it through Wings XIII before they changed the program.  Since then, with my mediocre computer skills, I haven't done a thing.  It is simply too difficult for us older PHYARTS to deal with all the computer stuff.  When I mentioned this to a FAA Wings guy, he admitted that they expected to lose some of us but that they expected to pick up the younger guys who are computer literate.

My CAP Form 5 with instrument priveleges gets a big chunk of the Wings thing done, but the rest of it might as well be Greek(and I speak a little Greek).
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RiverAux

QuoteSince then, with my mediocre computer skills, I haven't done a thing.  It is simply too difficult for us older PHYARTS to deal with all the computer stuff. 
Sorry, but I don't buy that excuse from a CAPTalk "Salty and Seasoned Contributor"   >:D

Thrashed

Quote from: bosshawk on October 12, 2009, 10:58:54 PM
I made it through Wings XIII before they changed the program.  Since then, with my mediocre computer skills, I haven't done a thing.  It is simply too difficult for us older PHYARTS to deal with all the computer stuff.  When I mentioned this to a FAA Wings guy, he admitted that they expected to lose some of us but that they expected to pick up the younger guys who are computer literate.

My CAP Form 5 with instrument priveleges gets a big chunk of the Wings thing done, but the rest of it might as well be Greek(and I speak a little Greek).

I'm curious to know if they got the younger crowd or not.  I don't know anyone who does Wings anymore.  I wonder what percent of pilots are active in it?

Save the triangle thingy

bosshawk

"Seasoned": I'll accept that because I am pretty salty at times.  I am a whiz at email, but the rest of this computer stuff leaves me cold.  I was out of college and in the Army by the time that the first computers were being deployed.  They still befuddle me.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

flyguy06

So, what do youhave to do to get the Masters phase?

sparks

My wing's FAA FAST rep e-mailed all of the wing's pilots to get them started on the wings program. Several complied and had their BFR dates extended. The BFR extension and some educational benefits are what you get from the program. Apparently participation numbers are way down from the previous program so the FAA is having the FAST representatives comb the bushes to encourage everyone they can to get into it. That means most CAP pilot will be getting e-mails about "Wings". It's ironic, I didn't participate in the old program and wouldn't have given the new one a second thought either but decided to help the wing's FAST guy. No, I'm not happy about the computer requirements either.

Flying Pig

I went down to the FSDO to meet with the FAA  Rep and see about any training, maybe holding a safety seminar out at our Air Support Hangar and try to make something out of it and they looked at me like I was crazy.  I guess the training doesnt go much beyond online courses.

sparks

The activity level of your FAST representative will dictate if any seminars are available. There have been several scheduled within a radius of 30 miles of my location. If the FAST person isn't very active or only has seminars where he lives there would be a problem. I assume you have signed up to be notified of seminars in your geographic area. The FAST website has that option.

sparks

Flying Pig

Quote from: sparks on October 14, 2009, 03:02:06 PM
The activity level of your FAST representative will dictate if any seminars are available. There have been several scheduled within a radius of 30 miles of my location. If the FAST person isn't very active or only has seminars where he lives there would be a problem. I assume you have signed up to be notified of seminars in your geographic area. The FAST website has that option.

I have, in fact I am going to one tonight.

Climbnsink

I've never bothered checking the boxes.  Been to a bunch of safety seminars that qualify but doing a flight review is easier than meddling through the program.