American Flag Patch - BDU

Started by Smoothice, September 17, 2009, 06:17:09 PM

Smoothice

I am sure this has been covered, but I figured I would ask anyway....

New member here, getting ready to get my BDU's taken care of. Quick question, I know from the manual where the unit/wing patch goes, but does the American Flag go on the other shoulder the same way??

davidsinn

Quote from: Smoothice on September 17, 2009, 06:17:09 PM
I am sure this has been covered, but I figured I would ask anyway....

New member here, getting ready to get my BDU's taken care of. Quick question, I know from the manual where the unit/wing patch goes, but does the American Flag go on the other shoulder the same way??

It goes on the right shoulder. Make sure you get a right hand flag(field to the right) also (incorrectly) known as a reversed flag.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

The "reverse" american flag goes on your right shoulder.

Your unit patch goes on the right breast pocket if you have one.

Your wing patch, optional in many states, would go on your left shoulder.

Make sure to check out the ICL's on the NHQ web site to insure you are current on all uniform changes.

"That Others May Zoom"

Smoothice

so, why is it "reversed"?? Is that just a CAP thing?

should it go the same distance from the top of the seam like the unit patch?

Hawk200

Quote from: Smoothice on September 17, 2009, 06:50:14 PM

Half inch below the shoulder seam.

It's not a "reversed" flag, it's just called that because many people are so used to seeing left hand ones on the left shoulder, so they think of the right hand flag as "reversed" or "backwards". The right hand flag is used primarily by the Army.

US Code requires that the flag be worn with the blue field facing forward.

Eclipse

Picture the flag mounted on a vehicle or being carried in a parade.

The idea is that the field is always moving forward.

Though primarily an Army idea on the uniform, when you start noticing these things you'll see then all over the place, especially ground vehicles and aircraft.

There's plenty of "opinion" here and other forums about whether its "appropriate" on our uniforms, but regardless its required today.

"That Others May Zoom"

majdomke

Going along these same lines, what is the consensus for ironing BDU's? Do we continue the crease right through the flag or just up to the bottom of the flag? I leave my flag flat and do not crease or iron it out of respect for it. Any thoughts? No one seems to know where this practice came from, can't find in the regs that I know of either. Thanks.

Strick

I always put the crease below the flag.  Looks funky having a creased flag.
[darn]atio memoriae

DC

I don't crease my sleeves, because: a) it's a field uniform, and doesn't need to be starched or creased. and b) I wear the sleeves rolled 98% of the time anyway, so whatever crease or press gets destroyed in short order.

Smoothice: CAPM 39-1 is horribly out of date (over 4 years old at this point), there is a whole slew of Interim Change Letters (found here) that one must also comb through to ensure that everything is correct.

Gunner C

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 17, 2009, 06:55:08 PM

Half inch below the shoulder seam.

It's not a "reversed" flag, it's just called that because many people are so used to seeing left hand ones on the left shoulder, so they think of the right hand flag as "reversed" or "backwards". The right hand flag is used primarily by the Army.

US Code requires that the flag be worn with the blue field facing forward.

It says no such thing.  This design was made up by the former Army Chief of Staff Gen Pete Schoonmaker.  Here's what it really says:

QuoteUS CODE:  Title 4,7:
(i) When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall (or on a sleeve, like we do), the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.

It is, in fact, backwards!

Airrace

I was told it is reversed so when you are wearing it it's always going in the forward postion never retreating. Never seen it in writting just been told by a few people in the know.

Spike

When you carry a flag forward....where is the field? 

Logic behind it...is simple.

Lets not start complaining about it AGAIN.  Put it on, and move on.  Is it physically hurting you to wear the flag patch?  Is it against your ethical or moral values?  Does your religion prohibit wearing it?  If any of these questions produce a "YES" answer.....there are other choices in uniforms for you to wear. 

Pylon

Quote from: Gunner C on September 18, 2009, 04:44:56 AM
It says no such thing.  This design was made up by the former Army Chief of Staff Gen Pete Schoonmaker.  Here's what it really says:

QuoteUS CODE:  Title 4,7:
(i) When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall (or on a sleeve, like we do), the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.

It is, in fact, backwards!

Gen Schoomaker most definitely did not "make that up".  The flag has been displayed with the canton, or "blue field of stars" facing forward in the motion of direction for long before he was even in the Army.

Evidence:  Take a look at historical Presidential aircraft.  Here's a photo of Kennedy's plane in use in the early 1960's showing the flag painted on the right side of the vertical stabilizer in the correct fashion:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cangaroojack/2338871274/
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RiverAux

Quote from: Airrace on September 18, 2009, 12:28:06 PM
I was told it is reversed so when you are wearing it it's always going in the forward postion never retreating.
So, if you actually are retreating are you just attacking in a different direction?

(Thanks to Marine Gen. O.P. Smith)