CAP gets a good mention in Plane and Pilot Magazine

Started by MooneyMeyer, September 09, 2009, 05:06:26 PM

MooneyMeyer

I was just flipping through my new October issue of Plane and Pilot and noticed that in a nice article about Affordable Flying, the Civil Air Patrol is mentioned as a way for pilots to log flight hours on the cheap. It mentions our SAR mission and cadet O-rides. Hopefully we'll get some new members coming to our squadrons from the good publicity.

Sean Meyer
1st Lieutenant, CAP
Fort Worth, Texas

heliodoc

THAT ought to be enough right there to get the entire CAP CAPTalk community up -n-a-bundle about the flying club mentality.......

OHHHHH I can see it now.......

notaNCO forever

As long as they are willing to contribute in other areas I don't care if people join for the flying. I think saying you can join CAP just to log hours is bad advertisement and not good. I'll avoid any comments about what I think of people that have the flying club mentality about CAP.

heliodoc

Being a smart %^ pilot

There is something I remember about the CAP organization

Something about AIR

As opposed to sea Cadets and Boy Scouts...

Yes as long as the pilots contribute...fine

But we also contribute with OUR pocketbooks  when there is no free flying available or anything past a regular Form 5 or 91 and not on missions is C17 out of pocket flying..

Don't kid yourselves most of the pilots with less than 30 years and do not have a CFI in CAP are still doing out of pocket like many here.  Also do not kid yourselves...training and recurrency are just as important as briefings on 39-1  and with all the new changes in Parts 61, 91,etc.......the only thing some of pilots MAY have on our minds...... is ALLLL those changes coming from the FAA and how that is going to impact CAP..

That will trump ALOT of CAP issues when there is clarifications to be made to cadets who WANT to fly in this organization...  So yeah if I had to do it over again.... I would concentrate on the cheaper flying time... 

And what a better way to advertise CAP.....  the flying end of it ...in...hold on......A FLYING MAGAZINE, by cracky ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D..  If it were not for good or great advertising...how about none at all???

So now...... flame away.....

PHall

Okay, Flame Number One:    It's bordering on false advertising.
By the time a new member jumps through all the hoops they have to go through to fly a CAP aircraft, if they haven't quit yet, it's not so cheap anymore.
And it's been my experience that the majority of the new members we attract with the promise of "cheap flying" usually don't hang around for long.

flyguy06

Its not thatmany hoops is it

Level 1
CPPT
OPSEC
Form 5 written
O ride w/AFROTC Test
Aircraft Questionaire
Form 5 checkride

what else is there? (tes, Iam not assuming that HAVE to be ES pilots)

but yeah come to think of it,that is a lot of hoops to go through

PHall

Quote from: flyguy06 on September 17, 2009, 02:20:35 AM
Its not thatmany hoops is it

Level 1
CPPT
OPSEC
Form 5 written
O ride w/AFROTC Test
Aircraft Questionaire
Form 5 checkride

what else is there? (tes, Iam not assuming that HAVE to be ES pilots)

but yeah come to think of it,that is a lot of hoops to go through

You forgot ORM, mandatory safety briefings, purchase of a flightsuit (in some wings like CA) and boots.

bosshawk

Add in becoming ES qualified and UDF qualified, not to mention mountain qualified in places like the Western US.

I never tell a prospective new member that the big attraction is free or cheaper flying.  It is service to locality, state and nation and fellow man first, self-satisfaction comes with achieving all of the other things. 

Quick and cheap are mutually opposite concepts in CAP.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777