ABUs any real answers?

Started by coolkites, August 22, 2009, 03:05:16 AM

coolkites

ABUs I used search but cannot find a single thread that has real answers instead of just speculation. I would like an answer from somebody who has for sure information with the facts and links to back it up also if they are committed to keeping that info updated? As to when CAP will have ABUs and when we will be required to wear them? when they will be issued?

Rotorhead

Quote from: coolkites on August 22, 2009, 03:05:16 AM
ABUs I used search but cannot find a single thread that has real answers instead of just speculation. I would like an answer from somebody who has for sure information with the facts and links to back it up also if they are committed to keeping that info updated? As to when CAP will have ABUs and when we will be required to wear them? when they will be issued?

The latest info is not before 2011, which is the mandatory wear date for AD. Relax, not even all the AD folks are out of BDUs yet, nor are all the cadets at USAFA.

What do you mean by "issued"? As far as I know,  CAP does not issue BDUs now, why would they issue ABUs?
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

DC

Quote from: Rotorhead on August 22, 2009, 03:09:32 AM
Quote from: coolkites on August 22, 2009, 03:05:16 AM

The latest info is not before 2011, which is the mandatory wear date for AD. Relax, not even all the AD folks are out of BDUs yet, nor are all the cadets at USAFA.

What do you mean by "issued"? As far as I know,  CAP does not issue BDUs now, why would they issue ABUs?
His squadron might, and without any experience otherwise...

Coolkites, there aren't any definitive answers right now, but it'll be a few years for sure.

coolkites

thanks for the answers guys.
My squadron has so many BDUs in our supply. And yes I was issued a set of BDUs. Please make sure to keep us all updated thanks.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: coolkites on August 22, 2009, 04:26:23 AM
thanks for the answers guys.
My squadron has so many BDUs in our supply. And yes I was issued a set of BDUs. Please make sure to keep us all updated thanks.

The only SURE thing is that the AF uniform board has approved ABU's for CAP.  When they are coming into our system, how they will be marked with CAP insignia, what headgear will be authorized/required, are all questions to be answered in the future.

Initially, CAP was supposed to start transitioning in 2010, according to the AF's projections, but delays in fielding the ABU's to AF personnel have pushed that initial fielding date back, and I don't know what the new date is, or even if there is a projected fielding date yet.

So, the AF is not yet ready to put CAP in ABU, and CAP is not yet ready to dress ourselves.

Kind of a classic SNAFU situation all the way around.
Another former CAP officer

PHall

Well, one good thing about the delay is maybe they will have decided the boot question (green, tan or black) by then.

lordmonar

Well.....BDUs ARE becomming an issue here at Nellis.  The only BDUs available at MCCS are XS-L and XS-XL and a few XXL-S.  so if you are skinny giant or a short dwarf they got BDU's for you...otherwise you have to go to other sources.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Gunner C

Quote from: lordmonar on August 22, 2009, 04:04:03 PM
so if you are skinny giant or a short dwarf they got BDU's for you...
All of us tall dwarfs will have to wait patiently.  ;D

Spike

We need to get USAF permission to wear other "color" boots.  It is getting more and more difficult to find "American Made" black combat boots these days.

I know there are black combat boots out there, but seems like many are coming in from other countries.  Sorry, I buy U S Made. 

Instead of worrying about ABU's, lets worry about the current uniform we have and the possibility that there may come a time when we can not get the black boots.   

Hawk200

Quote from: Spike on August 22, 2009, 06:41:44 PM
We need to get USAF permission to wear other "color" boots.  It is getting more and more difficult to find "American Made" black combat boots these days.

I know there are black combat boots out there, but seems like many are coming in from other countries.  Sorry, I buy U S Made. 

Instead of worrying about ABU's, lets worry about the current uniform we have and the possibility that there may come a time when we can not get the black boots.

Black boots are only permitted with the ABU for certain career fields. CAP will most likely wear whatever color is the standard with the ABU.

The green boots aren't staying green, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Air Force decides to make the tan ones standard. Then there's the issue of Congress getting into the common uniform issue. I have a feeling that the standard military boot may end up tan from now on.

If that happens, it would be nice if we were permitted the wear of them with BDUs, like the Army allowed tan, and the Air Force allowed the green (the green with BDUs looked really strange, but the Air Force permitted it). I've got a couple sets of tan boots I could wear, and a few other new ones I could donate to the cause.

RADIOMAN015

I would agree that as far as government sources for BDU's basically there's little in stock at this time at most BX's.  HOWEVER, there are comercial firms offering BDU's at this time.

I think CAP really needs to just make the decision now for everyone to transition into the Blue BDU's.  Once's the green BDU's meet their service life end (e.g. about 2015 or so).  There's absolutely no reason for anyone in CAP to be wearing ABU's that are camoflauge, and require that you wear an orange vest to be seen.

My understand is CAP may not be able to get surplus ABU's anyways, so members would have to buy at AF or commercial stores.  Blue BDU's would be less expensive overall and offer more flexibility in outer wear.   Also they won't go obsolete every time the military decides to change something to costs us taxpayers even more money than it should  :-[ Lets just make a transition to the more gentle blue to meet our motto "Citizens Serving Communities Above & Beyond!", rather than CAP invades Podunk USA ;D
RM   

Strick

Forget blue BDU'S, I wish they would go with od, tan or grey .
[darn]atio memoriae

PHall

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 22, 2009, 06:55:04 PM

Black boots are only permitted with the ABU for certain career fields. CAP will most likely wear whatever color is the standard with the ABU.

The green boots aren't staying green, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Air Force decides to make the tan ones standard. Then there's the issue of Congress getting into the common uniform issue. I have a feeling that the standard military boot may end up tan from now on.

If that happens, it would be nice if we were permitted the wear of them with BDUs, like the Army allowed tan, and the Air Force allowed the green (the green with BDUs looked really strange, but the Air Force permitted it). I've got a couple sets of tan boots I could wear, and a few other new ones I could donate to the cause.

Like I said in my post above, hopefully by the time CAP is allowed to wear the ABU, the boot question will be settled.

(My money is on the Tan boots.)

DC

Quote from: PHall on August 22, 2009, 08:53:55 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 22, 2009, 06:55:04 PM

Like I said in my post above, hopefully by the time CAP is allowed to wear the ABU, the boot question will be settled.

(My money is on the Tan boots.)
+1

The tan boots are readily available, can be gotten fairly inexpensively, and are comfy!

I still haven't figured out what brain surgeon decided the Air Force needed to wear mold green boots.

Strick

QuoteI still haven't figured out what brain surgeon decided the Air Force needed to wear mold green boots.

The same person who decided that the ABU  looked good ;D
[darn]atio memoriae

Spike

In reality, we should be allowed to wear whatever boot we want with BDU's.  Either Black, Blue, Green, Purple, leather, plastic or synthetic. 

It is silly that we are "told" to wear black. 

DC

Quote from: Spike on August 22, 2009, 09:27:04 PM
In reality, we should be allowed to wear whatever boot we want with BDU's.  Either Black, Blue, Green, Purple, leather, plastic or synthetic. 

It is silly that we are "told" to wear black.
Yeah, because we only call it a uniform because it sounds cool.  ::)

coolkites

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 22, 2009, 07:24:42 PM
I would agree that as far as government sources for BDU's basically there's little in stock at this time at most BX's.  HOWEVER, there are comercial firms offering BDU's at this time.

I think CAP really needs to just make the decision now for everyone to transition into the Blue BDU's.  Once's the green BDU's meet their service life end (e.g. about 2015 or so).  There's absolutely no reason for anyone in CAP to be wearing ABU's that are camoflauge, and require that you wear an orange vest to be seen.

My understand is CAP may not be able to get surplus ABU's anyways, so members would have to buy at AF or commercial stores.  Blue BDU's would be less expensive overall and offer more flexibility in outer wear.   Also they won't go obsolete every time the military decides to change something to costs us taxpayers even more money than it should  :-[ Lets just make a transition to the more gentle blue to meet our motto "Citizens Serving Communities Above & Beyond!", rather than CAP invades Podunk USA ;D
RM   

Sorry but there is no way I would where blue BDUs. They might make us like like air conditioning service men or worse Plumbers! (nothing against plumbers, we all need one eventually but still)

Rotorhead

Quote from: coolkites on August 22, 2009, 10:39:59 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 22, 2009, 07:24:42 PM

RM   

Sorry but there is no way I would where blue BDUs. They might make us like like air conditioning service men or worse Plumbers! (nothing against plumbers, we all need one eventually but still)

Then don't ever gain weight. No one wears them because they look good--they wear BBDUs because they don't meet USAF ht/wt standards.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

Rotorhead

Really?

What brand TV do you own?
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ