Military is having problems with ACU's

Started by Airrace, August 03, 2009, 01:07:41 AM

Rodriguez

actually I find the ACU to be a great uniform because quite frankly it dosnt work. Its designed to be a universal camouflage (both desert and woodland). but studies have shown it dosnt work. I know CAP wont use it because its an ARMY uniform and not an Air Force uniform. But then again neither is the blue BDU. although the advantages of the velcro are nice
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

Spike

Army times this week has a two page article on the Service looking toward multicam patterns. 

I also attended the most recent ROA conference and listened to a representative from the Defense Secretaries office, where she said that the push will be on in the next physical budget to get the Services back into one uniform series (instead of each service having it's own).     

Hawk200

Multi Cam is pretty effective, it would be very useful. There are organizations wearing it now, ostensibly a "test phase".

I'm curious how long it will take for each branch to adopt. I can also see a few variants being produced: a general use, flash resistant, and fire resistant.

We'd probably get a windfall of ABUs. They not going to just dump stocks without them going to use somewhere.

Stonewall

Quote"The 2010 House Defense Authorization Bill"  Requirements for Standard Ground Combat Uniform This section would require the Secretary of Defense, in consultation with the Defense Logistics Agency, to require that future ground combat uniforms be standardized in order to ensure increased interoperability of ground combat forces and reduce tactical risks encountered when military personnel wear a different uniform from their counterparts in the other military services in a combat area.

Full article: Congress Proposes Common Ground Combat Uniform
Serving since 1987.

Cecil DP

Only 62 years since the establishment of the Department of Defense and they are only now discussing a commonality of field uniforms. DLA or OMB should have jumped on this several years ago, before not only wasting government money, but the money of hundreds of thousands of military people in procuring and accessorizing. Personally, I have several sets of ACU's and hate the velcro attachments and the fact that they are hotter than BDU's.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

NIN

Quote from: Cecil DP on August 14, 2009, 02:25:30 AM
Only 62 years since the establishment of the Department of Defense and they are only now discussing a commonality of field uniforms. DLA or OMB should have jumped on this several years ago, before not only wasting government money, but the money of hundreds of thousands of military people in procuring and accessorizing. Personally, I have several sets of ACU's and hate the velcro attachments and the fact that they are hotter than BDU's.

I seem to recall reading a thing several years ago about how the DoD standardized uniforms. I want to say it was under McNamara in the 1960s.  My dim recollection says that this is right around the time the USMC lost their HBTs, I think.  Everybody got picklesuits (cotton, before they got the perma-press ones)

I could be wrong. My remembery is getting a little weak.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jeancalvinus

I think the new method of wearing rank looks unprofessional, and the big patch of velcro looks unmilitary.

NIN

Quote from: jeancalvinus on August 26, 2009, 05:52:41 PM
I think the new method of wearing rank looks unprofessional, and the big patch of velcro looks unmilitary.

So, uh, what would look more professional & more military??

Rank on the sleeves?

Rank on the shoulder/epaulet?

Rank on BOTH the shoulder & the sleeve?

Rank on the collar?

As for the velcro, well. If the military is actually wearing it, how "un" military could it be?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: jeancalvinus on August 26, 2009, 05:52:41 PM

That would be on the Army Combat Uniform which CAP is NOT  going to wear.
When it's authorized, CAP will be going to the Airman Battle Uniform.
Grade insignia on this uniform is worn exactly as it is now on the BDU.

Hawk200

Quote from: jeancalvinus on August 26, 2009, 05:52:41 PMI think the new method of wearing rank looks unprofessional, and the big patch of velcro looks unmilitary.

The Velcro has a purpose, and it's not meant to please people. Not sure why you think it's unprofessional, but I'm guessing you've never worn it.

As to looking "unmilitary", what exactly do you think it looks like?