Military is having problems with ACU's

Started by Airrace, August 03, 2009, 01:07:41 AM

Airrace

My uncle recently retired from the National Guard and sent us his ACUs. The addition to velcro in several selected spots on the uniform is a giant plus for us CAP members. You will no longer have to sew patches or your promotions on the uniform. There is velcro in these spots and you just apply the patch or promotion. Just think when you get your next promotion you can just remove one rank and apply the new rank with seconds. There are no buttons just velcro. The blouse is zippered up and velcro overlaps the zipper and covers it up. The material has an anti wrikle fabric and is supose to help keep them looking good all the time.

They only draw back the military is  having problems with the new style uniform is the velcro is not staying fastned after being used many many times daily.

AlphaSigOU

Those are ACUs (Army Combat Uniform) - the Air Force's ABU (Airman Battle Uniform) is a totally different animal.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Hawk200

Quote from: Airrace on August 03, 2009, 01:07:41 AMThey only draw back the military is  having problems with the new style uniform is the velcro is not staying fastned after being used many many times daily.

The initial issue of the ACU had this problem. The newest ones don't have it. The Velcro on later ones are of higher quality, denser, and the fiber on the pile side are a lot stronger.

Not really relevant to CAP.

JC004

It would be infinitely useful to have Velcro(R) on a CAP uniform considering how the National Board behaves. 

Hawk200

Quote from: JC004 on August 03, 2009, 02:17:06 AM
It would be infinitely useful to have Velcro(R) on a CAP uniform considering how the National Board behaves.

:clap:

JC004

Allow me to restate part of my platform for National Commander:

If a room full of Colonels finds it necessary to make an arbitrary uniform change, let them establish a collection bin to pay for the new uniform item for each member required to wear it.

bosshawk

That and $1.50 will get you a coffee at Starbuck's.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

JC004

PHall

Quote from: JC004 on August 03, 2009, 05:39:04 PM
Not true.  I have a Gold Card.

Okay, that and 5 bucks will get a cup of coffee.

Airrace

Glad to hear that they fixed the problem with the velcro. It sure will be nice to have velcro on our uniforms in the future. just think no more sewing patches on.

Hawk200

Quote from: Airrace on August 04, 2009, 02:34:23 AM
Glad to hear that they fixed the problem with the velcro. It sure will be nice to have velcro on our uniforms in the future. just think no more sewing patches on.

If you're thinking that you're going to use those uniforms for Civil Air Patrol, you're mistaken. The ACU is the Army Combat Uniform. It's not an Air Force uniform, and won't be used by Civil Air Patrol.

The uniform that CAP is probably going to get is the ABU, the Airman Battle Uniform. It's a completely different uniform.

BrandonKea

Quote from: JC004 on August 03, 2009, 02:42:07 AM
Allow me to restate part of my platform for National Commander:

If a room full of Colonels finds it necessary to make an arbitrary uniform change, let them establish a collection bin to pay for the new uniform item for each member required to wear it.

Got my vote!
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

RogueLeader

Besides, army will be going to multi-cam in the next 3-4 years anyways. . . .  even the new ACU's aren't great.  Want them to go back to bdu's. . . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hawk200

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 05, 2009, 12:40:29 AMBesides, army will be going to multi-cam in the next 3-4 years anyways. . . .

Starting to look like it. From what I've heard they're surprisingly effective for a 2D camo.

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 05, 2009, 12:40:29 AMeven the new ACU's aren't great.

I'll agree with that one.

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 05, 2009, 12:40:29 AMWant them to go back to bdu's. . . .

I wouldn't go along with that one, but I honestly don't know any better option.

DC

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 05, 2009, 02:58:09 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on August 05, 2009, 12:40:29 AMBesides, army will be going to multi-cam in the next 3-4 years anyways. . . .

Starting to look like it. From what I've heard they're surprisingly effective for a 2D camo.

Multicam is awesome, and surprising, it is very effective in a wide variety of environments.

There are a bunch of 'where's waldo' type picture on Cyre Precision's website, here.

Rotorhead

Quote from: DC on August 05, 2009, 03:40:31 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 05, 2009, 02:58:09 AM

Multicam is awesome, and surprising, it is very effective in a wide variety of environments.

There are a bunch of 'where's waldo' type picture on Cyre Precision's website, here.

Which, of course, would make it exactly the opposite of what CAP should use, since we need to be seen, not hidden.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Hawk200

Quote from: Rotorhead on August 05, 2009, 03:54:46 AMWhich, of course, would make it exactly the opposite of what CAP should use, since we need to be seen, not hidden.

Which is not an issue if you're wearing an orange vest in the field, like you're supposed to be.

DC

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 05, 2009, 04:08:49 AM
Quote from: Rotorhead on August 05, 2009, 03:54:46 AMWhich, of course, would make it exactly the opposite of what CAP should use, since we need to be seen, not hidden.

Which is not an issue if you're wearing an orange vest in the field, like you're supposed to be.
Thank god, someone who actually gets the purpose of the bright orange vest!  :clap:

Rotorhead

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 05, 2009, 04:08:49 AM

True, but even so, going to that kind of uniform would be pointless for us.

"Hey, let's use this cool uniform that makes it hard to see you, then put a vest on over it, so we can be seen."
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Hawk200

Quote from: Rotorhead on August 05, 2009, 05:14:55 AMTrue, but even so, going to that kind of uniform would be pointless for us.

"Hey, let's use this cool uniform that makes it hard to see you, then put a vest on over it, so we can be seen."

Military utilities are a dime a dozen compared to other clothing. That's not so pointless. Why would people stockpile them if they were?