Main Menu

Was she ever in CAP?

Started by Daniel, July 17, 2009, 05:34:27 AM

Daniel

I've been getting a substantial amount of advise about cap from someone who claims to be in it from the 70's i there anyway I can know for sure if she was ever in as some of the stuff she is saying is not like CAP at all.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Major Carrales

Quote from: Daniel L on July 17, 2009, 05:34:27 AM
I've been getting a substantial amount of advise about cap from someone who claims to be in it from the 70's i there anyway I can know for sure if she was ever in as some of the stuff she is saying is not like CAP at all.

The organization has changed radically since the 1970s...even radically from just 10 years ago. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Daniel

She cant give me the rank she was when she left the cadet program
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Flying Pig

Advice is just that.  You dont have to take it and it doesnt always apply.  A cadet from the 70s wouldnt recognize the CAP of today.  If they are trying to just be polite and give you advice on leadership, personal relations advice, then evaluate it and bounce the ideas off someone you know and trust.  If you dont know or trust this person enough to take them at their word, then tread lightly until they prove themselves.  I would find it odd that someone would lie about having been a CAP cadet in the 70's.  I would assume they probably were.  Not remembering your cadet rank is probably expected from someone who left the program and lost touch 40+ yrs ago.  If the advice applies, take it.  If not, nod and smile and move on.

O-Rex

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 17, 2009, 06:18:18 AM
Advice is just that.  You dont have to take it and it doesnt always apply.  A cadet from the 70s wouldnt recognize the CAP of today.  If they are trying to just be polite and give you advice on leadership, personal relations advice, then evaluate it and bounce the ideas off someone you know and trust.  If you dont know or trust this person enough to take them at their word, then tread lightly until they prove themselves.  I would find it odd that someone would lie about having been a CAP cadet in the 70's.  I would assume they probably were.  Not remembering your cadet rank is probably expected from someone who left the program and lost touch 40+ yrs ago.  If the advice applies, take it.  If not, nod and smile and move on.

+1.  We have enough 'Monday Morning Quarterbacks' that are currently still in CAP that have never held a command without including another who hasn't been in the organization since vinyl records, punch-card computers and 'Pong' were the latest rage.

For all her sagacious input, why isn't she a member NOW??

bosshawk

There is an old truism: free advice is usually worth just what you pay for it.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RiverAux

Does that go for the advice we're giving here?

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Flying Pig

Quote from: RiverAux on July 17, 2009, 03:14:29 PM
Does that go for the advice we're giving here?

POW!  Below the belt.  Back to your corner swine! :clap:

bosshawk

That goes along with my philosophy that the three most dangerous words in the English language are :   "somebody told me".  Those are usually certain to get one into trouble.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

ol'fido

The most dangerous words in the English language are "Here, hold my beer and watch this!"
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Lt Oliv

Quote from: Daniel L on July 17, 2009, 05:49:31 AM
She cant give me the rank she was when she left the cadet program

Yeah, I run into that a lot.  Used to work with a woman who claimed to have a black belt in karate.  I asked her what discipline she studied. 

"I can't remember, it was a long time ago."

Ran into a guy I went to school with.  He knew I served in the Navy, told me he was in too.  I asked him what rate he was.

"I don't remember, I wasn't in that long"

Met a guy through a mutual friend, told me he was in the Army and served in Iraq, had a Bronze Star and Halo wings.  Asked him during what year he was there.

"I don't remember"

The difference between all of those people is that the last guy checked out.  Did serve, did earn the wings and did get the bronze star (with valor).  Unfortunately, PTSD screwed up his internal calendar a bit.

The point is, there are always people who make claims that tend to set off red flags.  Some are legit, so aren't.  I will say it is far more likely that a woman was in CAP in the 70's and doesn't remember her cadet rank than a woman earned a black belt but can't remember what she did or how she did any of it to get it in the first place.

If the advice is sound, follow it.  If not, disregard.  If lying about CAP membership, military service or high school awards gets someone through the night, I'm not going to try to force our reality on the awesome one they created for themselves.

RiverAux

QuoteI will say it is far more likely that a woman was in CAP in the 70's and doesn't remember her cadet rank
especially if she didn't achieve any of the officer ranks.  I was a cadet 20 years ago and I couldn't tell you most of the enlisted cadet ranks even though I've been active in CAP as a senior for 12 years.  I'm only about 75% sure that the Mitchell got me "Flight Officer" rank back then instead of 2nd Lt. like it is today. 

A better comparison is that I was also active in the Boy Scouts 25 years ago and I couldn't tell you what level I got to. 

flyguy06

Now that is sad. i was a Boy Scout inthe 80's and I still remember every rank.  ;D

Lt Oliv

Quote from: flyguy06 on July 20, 2009, 05:47:00 AM
Now that is sad. i was a Boy Scout inthe 80's and I still remember every rank.  ;D

I remember I started out as a "Tenderfoot" and the rest is pretty hazy after that.