Does a Glider solo require a Medical Certificate?

Started by capchiro, July 14, 2009, 11:34:10 PM

capchiro

Does a cadet need a medical certificate to solo in CAP gliders at encampment??  FAA requirments say no, but encampment leaders are saying yes.  Did I miss a Reg somewhere?
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

CadetProgramGuy

FAA Regs say no.

Don;t know why an encampment thinks thay can overwrite the FAA.

Unless they are asking for the PT medicals that cadets are supposed to get.

Flying Pig

You dont even need one for  a Glider Private.

CFI_Ed

Quote from: capchiro on July 14, 2009, 11:34:10 PM
Does a cadet need a medical certificate to solo in CAP gliders at encampment??  FAA requirments say no, but encampment leaders are saying yes.  Did I miss a Reg somewhere?

Or is the Activity Director asking for a Student Pilots Certificate which is attached to the medical forms.  Prior to solo, the Student Certificate will still need to be signed off by the glider CFI.  And the only way to get a Student Certificate is to go to an AME.  I'm not sure, would an AME hand over a Student Certificate without conducting a medical?
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

majdomke

All we had to do was go to the local FAA office at our major airport and get a certificate. Required no physical or money. Just needed to make an appointment. My daughter is off flying gliders right now at the glider encampment in Colorado.

CASH172

For a student pilot certificate without a medical, just fill out an 8710 and make an appointment with the FSDO.  You then get a certificate that's just a student pilot certificate. 

Also, I believe certain DEs are authorized to issue student pilot certificates, but I'm not sure on that one and I haven't tried it. 

Hawk200

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on July 15, 2009, 01:38:03 AM
FAA Regs say no.

Don;t know why an encampment thinks thay can overwrite the FAA.

The encampment is requiring something additional, probably for insurance reasons. It's not overwrtiting the FAA. The aircraft are CAP property, and as such they can impose additional requirements.

Considering the cost difference between learning to fly at a CAP encampment as opposed to what it would run in the commercial market, it's not all that much.

Climbnsink

"Considering the cost difference between learning to fly at a CAP encampment as opposed to what it would run in the commercial market, it's not all that much."
This attitude will be the death of CAP.  The flying is cheap so you will put up with whatever we say.  Free isn't always worth it.   All the stupid little things over and over with slight changes.   I say this as someone who is going to teach at an encampment not a consumer of free flying. 

Hawk200

Quote from: Climbnsink on July 16, 2009, 12:11:49 AM
"Considering the cost difference between learning to fly at a CAP encampment as opposed to what it would run in the commercial market, it's not all that much."
This attitude will be the death of CAP.  The flying is cheap so you will put up with whatever we say.  Free isn't always worth it.   All the stupid little things over and over with slight changes.   I say this as someone who is going to teach at an encampment not a consumer of free flying.

It's one minor thing, how bad could that be? One requirement is reasonable.

Now if it comes to the point that you've got to spend a few days just preparing, then it's getting to be too much. A medical is small potatoes.

Never done any glider flying, but wouldn't a medical be needed to get the license? If so, then the attendees are a step ahead already. (As long as they stay with it.)

Now that I think about it, doesn't a CAP member have to solo in a CAP glider at a CAP function to get solo wings? To me, that's screwy. An instructor has to sign off for a solo, and no instructor I know is ever going to sign something off if the student isn't ready. Not like they'll do it just so someone can get bling.

JohnKachenmeister

Hawk:

A medical certificate is NOT required to fly gliders.

I have zero idea why CAP encampment leaders are requiring medicals.  A medical is NOT required by FAA regs or by 60-1 to fly gliders.

Any FSDO or DE qualified to do glider checkrides can issue a non-medical Student Pilot Certificate.
Another former CAP officer

Hawk200

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 20, 2009, 12:25:12 AMA medical certificate is NOT required to fly gliders.

I'll take your word for it. I don't fly gliders, so I don't know.

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 20, 2009, 12:25:12 AMI have zero idea why CAP encampment leaders are requiring medicals.  A medical is NOT required by FAA regs or by 60-1 to fly gliders.

Has anyone bothered asking someone on the encampment staff? They may have a perfectly logical answer.