CAPTalker leaves Texas, moves to Kwajalein!

Started by AlphaSigOU, June 29, 2009, 05:08:41 AM

AlphaSigOU

If you're not on Facebook, here's the news:

I am accepting a minimum two-year contract job as a drafter in - of all places - Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands (KWA/PKWA), part of the Reagan Test Site in the Pacific Ocean. Of course this is pending some paperwork and a physical/drug test, and once those are completed I won't know when's the date I ship out (estimating mid-late July before that happens).

The job's an unaccompanied tour (single) and housing and chow are provided. (No, [darnit]... I ain't going Gilligan's Island - no grass shack and whatever I can fish outta the ocean! There are American-style creature comforts here! )

Kwajalein (or Kwaj) is a restricted island military installation - while Air Mike (Continental Micronesia) services Bucholz Army Air Field (KWA/PKWA), no visitors are allowed unless sponsored by military personnel or contractors living on the island. I will have the opportunity to come back to the States on leave. Plenty of opportunities to learn to sail and scuba dive, among other things, so I won't be bored outta my mind!

More info on Kwajalein:

Wikipedia - Kwajalein Atoll
Wikipedia - Reagan Test Site
Reagan Test Site official home page
Kwaj Scuba Club information brochure

No overseas CAP squadron here, so I'm going temporarily inactive (except for paying my annual dues), unless conditions are OK to form one - and that won't be for a very long time - I won't be pushing to form an overseas squadron in Kwaj - yet!

I won't be gone from CAPTalk or my other haunts online, but my participation will be limited.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

bosshawk

Chuck: I hear that the scuba is great.  Of course, you also will be the target of the Minuteman test launches from Vandenberg, so duck.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: bosshawk on June 29, 2009, 05:55:39 AM
Chuck: I hear that the scuba is great.  Of course, you also will be the target of the Minuteman test launches from Vandenberg, so duck.

So I've been told. Not to worry... the warheads (loaded with instrumentation only, not nukes) impact on the other side of the atoll far away from Kwaj.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

desertengineer1

Dude, you will really like that place.  Not the hustle and bustle you know at home, but I think you'll take a nice liking to it.

Good Luck.  Get your cert and DIVE!!!!  (If you have not already)

Trung Si Ma

If you don't already have your ham license get it before you go.  It's still a pretty rare contact for many.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

AlphaSigOU

Doing both ham and scuba cert... will get my tech license before I ship out. The scuba I'll get while on Kwaj.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BillB

Wow, you would be guaranteed to win the "traveled furthest" at the 2010 Reunion.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Apparently they know you are coming...

"...Air Force test-fires missile from Calif. base

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, California (AP) — The Air Force says it has successfully launched an unarmed Minuteman 3 intercontinental ballistic missile from a California base, firing it to targets in the Pacific Ocean.

Lt. Raymond Geoffroy said the ICBM was launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base at 3:01 a.m. local time Monday.

He said it carried three unarmed re-entry vehicles that hit their targets near the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands, about 4,200 miles away.

On clear mornings, missile launchings from Vandenberg can be seen as far away as Los Angeles, 140 miles to the southeast, but fog along the coast made Monday's launch difficult to see even in the immediate area, Geoffroy said.

The Air Force said the launch was an operational test to check the weapon system's reliability and accuracy..."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-06-29-vandenberg-test-missile_N.htm?csp=34

"That Others May Zoom"

pixelwonk

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 29, 2009, 06:30:48 AM
Quote from: bosshawk on June 29, 2009, 05:55:39 AM

So I've been told. Not to worry... the warheads (loaded with instrumentation only, not nukes) impact on the other side of the atoll far away from Kwaj.

That's what you think.  They haven't shared with you the manner of your arrival yet, did they?
Spam in a can, my friend.  Spam in a can.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: tedda on June 29, 2009, 07:58:09 PMThat's what you think.  They haven't shared with you the manner of your arrival yet, did they? Spam in a can, my friend.  Spam in a can.

I like Spam, not receiving it in my email! You supplying ther P-38 can opener?  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

Unfortunately, unless CAPR 35-4 is rewritten, the chances of establishing a CAP overseas squadron at Kwaj are slim to none! They can only be established at an AF installation (Kwaj ain't - it's Army) and the commander must be an AD E-6 (TSgt) or higher. Two strikes against Kwaj. Might consider looking at the ACA just in case.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Carrales

Chuck, your physical absence in Texas will be keenly felt.  I hope though you will serve as a "CAP GURU" that we can solicit the advice and counsel of.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 29, 2009, 10:14:02 PM
Chuck, your physical absence in Texas will be keenly felt.  I hope though you will serve as a "CAP GURU" that we can solicit the advice and counsel of.

No worries, Maj. C. - I'll stick around on CAPTalk and CadetStuff and depending on my stateside leave schedule try to attend the Texas Wing encampment (probably not next year). Once I pin on gold bottlecaps I might look into going to NSC.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Smokey

Good luck Chuck (notice how that rhymes---I crack myself up ;D)

If you get lonely we can send you mentee Lt Wilson from RSC.  (You do remember him from my sessions presentation don't you). 

Just remember to duck when CAWG sends more of those missiles from Vandenberg.

Smokey
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

AlphaSigOU

Treading new waters here... just published a blog about my upcoming Kwajalein adventure...

http://kwajdrafter.blogspot.com/

This way you can keep up with what's happening to me as I get ready to ship out to Kwajalein and once I get to this island paradise.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

It's official - the offer has been extended and accepted. Estimating 30-45 days before I get the port call date to Kwaj.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

Medical clearance received... one more hurdle out of the way!
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

FIGMO! (Finally* Got My Orders!) Received entry authorization and final instructions for my trip to Kwaj.

* I know what it REALLY means, don't feel like activating the censor-bot!
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

As NIN mentioned to me on FB the other day... I'm so short I can take a header off of a dime! (Or something to that effect!) 

FIGMO! and departing Dallas-Fort Worth Thursday morning August 13 flying a convoluted schedule (I didn't pay for it, my employer did):

American 1017 DFW-PHX
US Airways 22 PHX-HNL
Long layover (about 10 hours) in HNL at the airport hotel
Continuing on Continental Micronesia (Air Mike) 957 HNL-KWA on August 14 (stop at Majuro (MAJ)), crossing the International Date Line and arriving the following day (Saturday, August 15).

You can keep up with my 'adventure' in paradise by visiting my blog: http://kwajdrafter.blogspot.com .
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Nolan Teel

Chuck, I've been on the road so much latley I havent been able to say good bye!  Have a good time out there!  Should be a blast!  Stay Safe and watch out for those island girls!