Ballon pilot rating

Started by Hawk200, June 27, 2009, 02:20:34 AM

Hawk200

Talking to a balloon pilot, trying to see if I can recruit. Out of curiousity, what would it take to authorize him (provided he joins) the ballon pilot wings? 60-1 is kinda sketchy on what is required, and references local wing policies. What if the local wing has no policies?

Is this guy really gonna need a checkride in a CAP ballon to get wings? Just wondering. No, I haven't promised him anything. Just wondering what I can do for him.

IceNine

Yep, here is the line that states he must have a CAPF 5

Quote from: CAPR 60-1 3.1All pilots except CAP Solo pilots must complete a check ride. To be complete, the following must be accomplished as part of the CAPF 5 check ride

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Hawk200

Quote from: IceNine on June 27, 2009, 03:11:23 AM

Quote from: CAPR 60-1 3.1All pilots except CAP Solo pilots must complete a check ride. To be complete, the following must be accomplished as part of the CAPF 5 check ride

Yeah, I read that part. What I'm wondering is one would go about doing such a thing. Would he have to utilize a CAP balloon? I can pretty much bet that there probably isn't a balloon check pilot examiner in my state.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 27, 2009, 04:05:36 AM
Quote from: IceNine on June 27, 2009, 03:11:23 AM

Yeah, I read that part. What I'm wondering is one would go about doing such a thing. Would he have to utilize a CAP balloon? I can pretty much bet that there probably isn't a balloon check pilot examiner in my state.

It's hard to do a check ride without the vehicle.

I glanced over the Form 5, and a lot of what's on there is applicable.  I'd bet in the case of a balloon, assuming yo could find a check pilot, if he had his own similar balloon you might be able to convince wing to use that.  Its not out of the question for CAP pilots to do F5's in their own planes when they are similar to CAP airframes.

Don't be too disappointed if you don't find a high GASF, though.  Balloons aren't the most useful aircraft operationally speaking.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on June 27, 2009, 04:22:51 AMDon't be too disappointed if you don't find a high GASF, though.

Drawing a blank at the moment: GASF?

es_g0d

Any Form 5 can be in a member-owned aircraft.  Reimbursement would not be likely, though.

If you cannot find a CAP check pilot to conduct the Form 5, an FAA Ops Inspector or Designated Pilot Examiner can give the evaluation, with a CAP check pilot conducting the applicable CAP-specific knowledge grading.  Reference 60-1.

The bottom line is that its very possible, you just need to know how to make it happen!
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Cecil DP

Run it past your Wing DO or Flight Ops Officer. He or she should be on top of this question.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Al Sayre

MS Wing has a CAP balloon (coming out of annual shortly) and a CAPF5 Balloon Examiner...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JohnKachenmeister

I do not think they are awarding the Balloon Pilot wings anymore.  Them's what got them can keep them, but no new "Flying Light Bulbs" are being approved.
Another former CAP officer

IceNine

^Cite?

It's still listed in 35-6
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jimmydeanno

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 03, 2009, 02:08:04 AM
I do not think they are awarding the Balloon Pilot wings anymore.  Them's what got them can keep them, but no new "Flying Light Bulbs" are being approved.

I hope not, what else can I use the 20 pairs of them our squadron has for?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BTCS1*

Smelt them into pilot wings?
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Eclipse

I pinged the Commander of JFA and he said they still award the wings.

"That Others May Zoom"

BTCS1*

Smelt them into ballon wings!
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: IceNine on July 03, 2009, 06:06:00 AM
^Cite?

It's still listed in 35-6

I was told that at National HQ when I had the temerity to suggest CAP Astronaut wings for Eric Boe (and any future CAP members who slip the surly bonds of Earth - completely).  I was told they stopped issuing CAP Balloon wings after the Reg. change that required a 5G for wear of glider pilot wings.  I guess they didn't want to have to write a 5B form. 

LtCol057

A Form 5B?  It's on the schedule right after the updated 39-1.    ::)

es_g0d

It would be a safe bet that SM Boe will wear astronaut wings anyway, since they cross over nicely.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: es_g0d on July 05, 2009, 10:38:51 PM
It would be a safe bet that SM Boe will wear astronaut wings anyway, since they cross over nicely.

I know that.  I thought it would be a very nice gesture and excellent public affairs to have a set of CAP astronaut wings cast and awarded to him ceremoniously.  Also, it would make a great conversation item on the "CAP Awards and Badges" chart we trot out at air shows and open houses.

Nitwit:  "Har Har! CAP Astronaut!  Do you guys fly these Cessnas up in space?  Har Har!"

CAP Dude:  "No, not a Cessna.  We used a really big glider."