SM 2d Lt to CSM Transfer (Help!)

Started by PhoenixRisen, June 25, 2009, 01:18:32 AM

PhoenixRisen

My dad joined the program a year ago, and at the time, didn't think to join as a CSM.  His membership lapsed a few months ago, which prompted me to investigate into this.

I tried contacting the Knowledgebase, but they haven't gotten back to me, and its already been a week.  Anyone know how he would go about transferring to CSM membership, now that his regular membership has lapsed?

IceNine

I assume that if you reverse the CSM to Active procedure it will work just fine.

Have him renew and then process a CAPF 2A stating From "Active Status"  To "Cadet Sponsor"

That is simply a speculation however.  I have transfered from csm to active but never the reverse.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Cecil DP

Just fill out the CAPF12 with a notation at the top of the page and in the remarks section that he is koining as a CSM.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

PhoenixRisen

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: IceNine on June 25, 2009, 01:38:05 AM
I assume that if you reverse the CSM to Active procedure it will work just fine.

Have him renew and then process a CAPF 2A stating From "Active Status"  To "Cadet Sponsor"

That is simply a speculation however.  I have transfered from csm to active but never the reverse.

I think if he did it this way he would have to pay full price vs just $20.  I think the CAPF 12 with Sponsor Member across the top would do it like Cecil said.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

LtCol057

Just keep in mind that as a CSM, he will be limited in what he can do in CAP.  He can't be promoted or wear the USAF-style uniform.  He also will not be able to act as a crew member on CAP aircraft.  Also, his membership will be tied to yours. If you leave the program for any reason, his membership will also end.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: LtCol057 on June 25, 2009, 08:21:20 PM
Just keep in mind that as a CSM, he will be limited in what he can do in CAP.  He can't be promoted or wear the USAF-style uniform.  He also will not be able to act as a crew member on CAP aircraft.  Also, his membership will be tied to yours. If you leave the program for any reason, his membership will also end.

I'm fully aware of all of those, sir.  Thanks!

PhoenixRisen

Gentlemen,

I forgot to bring this up when I initially inquired on the subject:

Since he's already a 2d Lt, he has his CPPT, OPSEC, LV1, etc, completed, and I know CSM's need to complete some of (if not all of that training).  Given that his membership has lapsed, does he need to redo the tests and certifications that CSM's need - or are the ones from his time as a 2d Lt still valid?

Eclipse

It depends how many months - over 90 days you have to re do everything applicable, including a new fingerprint card.

"That Others May Zoom"

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Eclipse on June 26, 2009, 08:30:56 PM
It depends how many months - over 90 days you have to re do everything applicable, including a new fingerprint card.

Roger.  Thanks!

EMT-83

If it's only been a few months, his training records should still be on file at NHQ. I had a member come back after a four year break, and his records were still intact.

As stated earlier, there will be items to completed again. A quick call to member services should give you the answers you need.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 27, 2009, 02:25:43 PM
If it's only been a few months, his training records should still be on file at NHQ. I had a member come back after a four year break, and his records were still intact.

As stated earlier, there will be items to completed again. A quick call to member services should give you the answers you need.

Got it.  Thanks!

a2capt

Or put it another way,

Call up member services, credit card in hand, and renew as a CSM. Simple.

When the renewal is processed, the eServices login from previous will still work.

If it shows OPSEC. et al,  as being completed, then .. you are done. :)

If not, easiest way is to just re-do them all. We all know how simple they are..

Realize that there are limitations as have been pointed out, and do not, just because the e-Services record show a rating, perform these duties when you know the regs say otherwise. Keep it simple.