Pilot dies in flight

Started by Major Lord, June 18, 2009, 03:28:10 PM

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

bosshawk

Deepest condolencses to the Captain's family.  That said, there is a good reason to carry an extra pilot onboard international flights.  If it had been in CONUS, the first officer is perfectly capable of flying and landing the plane.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

N Harmon

I've always wondered why CAP observers weren't given some basic flying lessons in case they ever found themselves in a similar situation.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

heliodoc

^^^
Careful

You might get a CAPer talk audience similar to the one about the Colgan flight crew and how bad ALLL those 1000 hour and lower drivers are and have everybody on this forum speak on how bad acclerated training is or might be

But it is REAL GOOD idea for a training session for those all star CAP CFI's to accomplish on a Wing Training budget, huh?

flynd94

Well, if you knew anything about FAR Part 121 ops, the over pond flying has an IRO pilot (sometimes 2) on board.  They fly the aircraft during cruise, giving the other pilots a break.

Thread Drift//

Helidoc, why don't you come  to work with me.  Find out how much fun it is to fly with a 1000hr wonder kid.  My job as a CA doesn't include being a CFI.  I am supposed to mentor FO's and, have no problem doing that (I actually enjoy showing them tricks of the trade).  I don't get paid to explain how to talk on a radio, how to do a cross wind ldg/to. 
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

heliodoc

Love to Keith

I HAVE flown with some 1000 hour wonder kids and some 1000 hour CAP flight instructors

Different levels of training AND ATTITUDES

You got my PM ...help me out here..love to know what folks are doing and whatnot...

a2capt

Well...

http://flash.aopa.org/asf/pinch_hitter/swf/flash.cfm?

AOPA Pinch Hitter - though observer training exposes the trainee to some more of this than the average person ..

RiverAux

There used to be some practical exercises as part of Pinch Hitter.  Not sure if they're still there, but I've long thought that CAP should put an exception to the no-flight-training-for-seniors rule that explicitly authorizes flights for training of non-pilot Observers in CAP aircraft as part of the Pinch Hitter course. 

Think I pushed it up the chain at one point and the thought was that it MIGHT be ok to do it under current regs, but no one in the leadership was anxious to actually authorize it. 

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DG

This pilot who died was not flying.

He wasn't even on the flight deck.

lordmonar

Quote from: DG on June 19, 2009, 02:32:44 AM

according to the new article.....he was the captain and was in the cockpit at the time.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DG

Quote from: lordmonar on June 19, 2009, 03:22:18 AM

according to the new article.....he was the captain and was in the cockpit at the time.

Either the news is reporting it wrong,

Or my source, an insider at Continental in Newark, was misinformed.

Pilot was on rest cycle in sleeping berth.  When they went to wake him for his next duty, there was no response.

RiverAux

I just took the AOPA's pinch hitter course online.  Got to say that the old video was probably better.  Watch that a few times and you really get an idea of what is involved.  The online course left you just a little too detached.  It mentioned a DVD and manual, but I didn't see anywhere to either order or download them. 

Gunner C

Our old region CC mandated suggested that we integrate pinch-hitter training into the observer course/currency training. He felt that it was more than justified in the era of the "silver hair patrol", feeling that one day one of our geriatric pilots was going to check out during a flight.

Generally speaking, the pilots were very supportive of this. The wing CC immediately hauled off and ignored it.

flynd94

Quote from: DG on June 19, 2009, 10:53:22 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 19, 2009, 03:22:18 AM

Either the news is reporting it wrong,

Or my source, an insider at Continental in Newark, was misinformed.

Pilot was on rest cycle in sleeping berth.  When they went to wake him for his next duty, there was no response.

Your source was wrong, he was in the cockpit when he passed away.  My sources are from CAL Alpa.  FO thought he accidentally dozed off, went to wake him... well you know the rest of the story.
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP

DG

You mean the CAL Alpa FlyerTalk Forum?

That's like CAPTalk.

PHall

Sounds like the "work-rest plan" we used in the C-141 when we were flying with an "augmented" crew and had three pilots on-board.

One pilot in the bunk.
One pilot in the seat flying the jet.
One pilot in the other seat with the seat back taking a nap.

So the other pilots thinking that he had dozed off does not sound unusual.

DG

Quote from: PHall on June 20, 2009, 04:24:20 PM
Sounds like the "work-rest plan" we used in the C-141 when we were flying with an "augmented" crew and had three pilots on-board.

One pilot in the bunk.

Exactly that.

flynd94

Quote from: DG on June 20, 2009, 03:46:33 PM
You mean the CAL Alpa FlyerTalk Forum?

That's like CAPTalk.

No, I am furloughed from Express Jet (Continental Express).  The info was posted on CalForums & ExpressJet Forums in the restricted section.  I also got a blastmail from CAL Alpa and Xjet Alpa.  I trust my sources more than you, considering I used to work there.
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP

flynd94

Quote from: DG on June 20, 2009, 07:43:06 PM
Quote from: PHall on June 20, 2009, 04:24:20 PM

One pilot in the bunk.

Exactly that.

Except that the pilots on the flight deck aren't allowed to sleep according to the FAR's. 
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP