Polishing New Combat Boots

Started by Airrace, June 10, 2009, 03:02:45 AM

Airrace

Has anyone else heard that the manufactures put some sort of chemical on new boots and you should remove this before starting to shine your combat boots. If so what do you use to remove it?

BrandonKea

I would suggest getting a can of Saddle Soap (it should be right there next to all the shoe polish at your local MegaStoreā„¢) and following the directions listed on the can. You'll hear people tell you to strip it with alcohol, but that will dry out the leather and shorten the life of your boots.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

JROB

I havent heard of the chemical but to remove the factory polish I have used alchol to remove the factory polish. Shaving cream works well too.
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

BrandonKea

I'm waiting for SARDragon to chime in on this, this seems to be one of his many AOE's.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Gunner C

Saddle soap, then leather dye, and LOTS AND LOTS of polish.  I've also soaked the boots while wearing them in the shower, worn them for several hours, and then polished them.  Don't try to put a spit shine on them until you have between five and ten coats of polish on them.  Once you've done that (and let it dry), the boots should accept a spit shine.

Don't use any type of clear coat on the boots - it will dry out the boots, keep the leather from breathing, and will play hell on your feet.  It will also cause your boots to crack and fail early.

I wouldn't strip anything off the boots - anything that can strip whatever is on the outside of the leather will hurt the leather.  It will also put chemicals INTO the leather.  Polishing will put oils into it, preserving and softening the leather.

Always Ready

^+1

Don't strip the boots! My former AFROTC Det/CC ordered all of us AS100 cadets to strip the factory polish off our shoes and boots with rubbing alcohol. Let me tell you it wasn't a pretty sight. Not to mention it takes FOREVER to get a decent shine from it even after 20+ coats of polish.

Polish, polish, polish. I usually don't start spit shining boots or shoes until they have been polished multiple times a week for two to three months and are well broken in. Even then it depends on what the leather tells me. ;D