High School Based CAP squadrons

Started by RiverAux, June 09, 2009, 02:56:10 AM

infinitefoxfire75

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 10, 2009, 02:41:39 AM
There's a brand new flight in Connecticut, based in a local high school. It's still in the organizational stage, and will evolve into a cadet squadron. The Board of Education has approved CAP as an elective, and cadets will attend "class" during regular school hours.

A teacher with prior military experience will serve as the commander, and school administrators have become CAP members. They are in the process of signing up cadets for the beginning of the school year in September.

There are issues we normally don't think of in CAP, such as union contracts, but the details are being worked out. The summer will be spent getting senior members through training, setting up eServices access, etc.

Everyone's pretty excited, and hopefully the program will be successful.

I want to maybe try out the idea but here in Hawaii things don't really go as fast as we would like it to go. Any thoughts
c/TSgt Rosebel Jeni-Lei Belong
WOCS HI-075 (Hawaii)
Cadet Admin/Personnel NCO

"If you like talk, hit me up! No Shame! Mahalo & Ā hui hou aku"

Earhart1971

I have worked with Middle Schools and School Districts, the problem with the CAP School Program is that it has no funding.  Whereas, AFJROTC brings matching pay and funding to the table.

CAP has a better Cadet Program, its just hard to even get the school to allow Cadets to pay for joining CAP with an elective. Some School Districts do not allow charges to students.  So if you have say 100 interested students in the elective, there is an immediate 5000 dollar expense just to have the students join CAP.

Anyway thats my experience with one District in Florida.

In  my opinion CAP is a great elective for schools to offer and getting kids early in 6th Grade rather than 9th Grade Starting High School is important.