High School Based CAP squadrons

Started by RiverAux, June 09, 2009, 02:56:10 AM

RiverAux

I think that we'd have to say that the CAP middle school program has been a major success in bringing cadets into CAP -- the last time I saw numbers it looked like about 10% of our cadets came from this source.

North Carolina recently launched a squadron at a technology-focused magnet high school.  Should we consider a national level program focused on starting high school programs?  There are plenty of high schools out there without any sort of JROTC program.

There are several well-known issues regarding recruiting high school kids into a normal cadet unit (not wanting to have to follow orders of someone that is younger than you, for example), that this would get around. 

Plus, with high-school units you do really have some opportunities to use them a little more for ES work than you realistically do with kids from a middle school unit. 

Thoughts?

BrandonKea

Yes, I like this idea.

I don't know how the Middle Schools run the program though, would we have SM's running the squadron that are paid by the school districts as teachers? How does this work?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

BTCS1*

My squadron is based at my HS. Although its not part of classes, we meet afterschool as any other squadron would. Our DC is a teacher at the school.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Always Ready

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 09, 2009, 03:02:13 AM
My squadron is based at my HS. Although its not part of classes, we meet afterschool as any other squadron would. Our DC is a teacher at the school.

I think this is the best way to start a cadet squadron. The benefits are countless. It's easier to recruit cadets. There's no need to worry about access to facilities. Depending on the time of the meeting and the school district, there could be free transportation provided home from the meetings (often called the sports buses or the after-school activities buses). Promotion ceremonies could be in front of the entire school instead of just the local squadron. The atmosphere is already a learning environment (well mostly) and it would be perfectly set up to give cadets tests >:D Most schools have a computer lab(s) with internet access. Not to mention most high schools have a running track/football field and a gym for PT. It's almost an all around win-win situation.

BTCS1*

That would be ideal. However, because meetings are after school promotions are kept to the squadron. But the recruiting oprotunities are great! My school has 5000 students, some of them gotta like cap! LOL. The other day at an event for incoming freshman, 61 students requested info on when we meet etc.

CAPC/officer125

There is a squadron that was just started in Cunningham KS that is in a HS. CAP is offered as a course elective to students and the community has a night during the week that they meet also. Cadets that attend the high school, take the needed CAP curriculum as part of their elective course.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

PA Guy

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 09, 2009, 04:24:19 AM
However, because meetings are after school promotions are kept to the squadron.

Could you explain this?

BTCS1*

By the time we have closing, everyone is out of the building. Also, in a school of 5000 kids, its just hard to have it infront of the school. However, promotions are usually announced by the teacher who does the schools morning announcements over the PA.

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: RiverAux on June 09, 2009, 02:56:10 AM
I think that we'd have to say that the CAP middle school program has been a major success in bringing cadets into CAP -- the last time I saw numbers it looked like about 10% of our cadets came from this source.

North Carolina recently launched a squadron at a technology-focused magnet high school.  Should we consider a national level program focused on starting high school programs?  There are plenty of high schools out there without any sort of JROTC program.

There are several well-known issues regarding recruiting high school kids into a normal cadet unit (not wanting to have to follow orders of someone that is younger than you, for example), that this would get around. 

Plus, with high-school units you do really have some opportunities to use them a little more for ES work than you realistically do with kids from a middle school unit. 

Thoughts?

I wish my High School had one of these units. Do you know how I could get one started?

Wright Brothers #13915

RiverAux

Apparently I'm a little behind the times.  It is now just the "CAP School Program" and is open for grades 6-12.  More info is available on the program and how to start units here: http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/aerospace_education/internal_specific/school_cadet_program.cfm

EMT-83

There's a brand new flight in Connecticut, based in a local high school. It's still in the organizational stage, and will evolve into a cadet squadron. The Board of Education has approved CAP as an elective, and cadets will attend "class" during regular school hours.

A teacher with prior military experience will serve as the commander, and school administrators have become CAP members. They are in the process of signing up cadets for the beginning of the school year in September.

There are issues we normally don't think of in CAP, such as union contracts, but the details are being worked out. The summer will be spent getting senior members through training, setting up eServices access, etc.

Everyone's pretty excited, and hopefully the program will be successful.

PhoenixRisen

I know the last post in this was nearly two weeks ago, but....

I was working with my school administration and group staff to establish a cadet squadron at my high school.  While I don't think (at least, to my knowledge) we're an official "CAP SEP" squadron, we utilize school facilities for our meetings (classrooms, gym, PT field, etc.), and have access to other resources such as the school vans.

Our initial two senior members were (are) teachers at the school, and the majority of cadets are students at the school.  We've had our charter since OCT 29th of 2008, and we're on summer right now - so hopefully this next school year will provide more new recruits.  (With all the school activities we've "advertised" at by providing a colorguard, it better!  ;D)

BTCS1*

BTW My squadron is not an SEP squadron, just to clear up any misconceptions.

Jolt

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 10, 2009, 02:41:39 AM
There's a brand new flight in Connecticut, based in a local high school. It's still in the organizational stage, and will evolve into a cadet squadron. The Board of Education has approved CAP as an elective, and cadets will attend "class" during regular school hours.

A teacher with prior military experience will serve as the commander, and school administrators have become CAP members. They are in the process of signing up cadets for the beginning of the school year in September.

There are issues we normally don't think of in CAP, such as union contracts, but the details are being worked out. The summer will be spent getting senior members through training, setting up eServices access, etc.

I'm in Connecticut and I haven't heard about this.  Is it one of those high schools way out in the boonies (I'm in Hartford County)?

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Jolt on July 05, 2009, 01:47:07 AM
Quote from: EMT-83 on June 10, 2009, 02:41:39 AM

I'm in Connecticut and I haven't heard about this.  Is it one of those high schools way out in the boonies (I'm in Hartford County)?

You haven't heard about it because, as stated, it's still in the planning stage.

Jolt

Quote from: notaNCO forever on July 05, 2009, 11:23:49 AMYou haven't heard about it because, as stated, it's still in the planning stage.

Jeez, I'm just asking.  I usually keep myself pretty current as far as wing affairs go and this is the sort of thing I figured I'd hear through the rumor mill or read in commander's call notes or something.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Jolt on July 05, 2009, 04:11:15 PM
Quote from: notaNCO forever on July 05, 2009, 11:23:49 AMYou haven't heard about it because, as stated, it's still in the planning stage.

Jeez, I'm just asking.  I usually keep myself pretty current as far as wing affairs go and this is the sort of thing I figured I'd hear through the rumor mill or read in commander's call notes or something.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so harsh; I should not post stuff that early in the morning. I'm on CAC and haven't even heard much about it.

Rotorhead

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

EMT-83

Quote from: Jolt on July 05, 2009, 01:47:07 AM

CT-801 at New Fairfield High School has been chartered. There are currently three senior members on the roster, and between 20 and 26 cadets will be starting in the fall.

infinitefoxfire75

I love the idea but is it apart of the school program.  If so how could I start one here in my school. Also do you have any thoughts about how I could bring the idea up at my state's next CAC mtg?
c/TSgt Rosebel Jeni-Lei Belong
WOCS HI-075 (Hawaii)
Cadet Admin/Personnel NCO

"If you like talk, hit me up! No Shame! Mahalo & Ā hui hou aku"