CAP & Political Involvement

Started by DBlair, May 27, 2009, 05:56:24 PM

DBlair

At a recent political event, I noticed (as usual) that many of the potential candidates are sure to make note of their community service in various organizations or of their military experience- some even having photos of themselves in uniform on their campaign materials/websites.

I remember some time ago, there were a few CAP members who were criticized for noting their CAP involvement on campaign material, and for having a photo of themselves in uniform. This leads me to a question...

If a CAP member opts to run for political office, is it appropriate/allowed for the member to note their CAP service/involvement and use a photo of themselves in uniform in their campaign materials? (as long as it is clear that they are not trying to claim RM service)

Likewise, is it appropriate/allowed for a CAP Commander (of any level) to give their support for a specific candidate?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

cnitas

Quote from: DBlair on May 27, 2009, 05:56:24 PM
If a CAP member opts to run for political office, is it appropriate/allowed for the member to note their CAP service/involvement and use a photo of themselves in uniform in their campaign materials? (as long as it is clear that they are not trying to claim RM service)
In my opinion; noting membership in CAP is good and expected.  Using photos of themselves in uniform is not good.  I would say the same for a candidate's military service.

Likewise, is it appropriate/allowed for a CAP Commander (of any level) to give their support for a specific candidate?
Well, I support various candidates for various offices and I am a commander.  I believe that that is ok.

It is NOT ok to endorse a candidate in your role as commander, or to use CAP in any way to support a candidate.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

Yes, in the same vein that it makes up a part of the "person" - no different than military service, Boy Scouts, etc.  (we can leave the "playing on the association" for another thread).

As a private citizen, yes.  As a member of CAP, in any capacity, no - this is specifically against regs.

Those that raised the issue of incumbents requesting honor guards, etc., that's a different animal - incumbents may be "candidates" but they are also elected offcials representing the government at their respective level.

That's one of the reasons incumbents have an inherent advantage, and is part of the game.

"That Others May Zoom"

Johnny Yuma

At a recent political event, I noticed (as usual) that many of the potential candidates are sure to make note of their community service in various organizations or of their military experience- some even having photos of themselves in uniform on their campaign materials/websites.

I remember some time ago, there were a few CAP members who were criticized for noting their CAP involvement on campaign material, and for having a photo of themselves in uniform. This leads me to a question...

You must be referring to the former Spaatz cadet turned Congressional candidate up in the Pacific Northwest.  ::)

Johnny Y's opinion: Noting CAP as community service in your campaign is one thing, passing yourself off as a military and  national security expert because you were a CAP cadet and talked to a couple generals about it is another.

Pictures of yourself in uniform on campaign material? I wouldn't, but then I'm one of the few who believe that military service, no matter how successful or distinguished, doesn't necessarily make one a good statesman.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

jeders

I think it's perfectly acceptable to note your service. Like Eclipse said, it's part of who you are. I would also say that having a picture of you in a uniform as part of your campaign material, and this includes Active Duty military, National Gaurd, SDF, et al., is inappropriate.

As A CAP Commander, absolutely not. As any member of CAP, absolutely not, this one is actually in the regs somewhere I believe. As just a private citizen without claiming any ties to CAP or the military, absolutely yes.

Now here's another question, what if the CAP Member running for office, any office, is also a CAP Commander, should they step down? Should they only step down if there is a direct conflict of interest such as LEPC Chair or County Judge?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JohnKachenmeister

Frankly, I think it is very appropriate for a candidate to not his CAP service on his campaign literature.  Service in CAP suggests a committment to the country and the community, and should be viewed favorably. 

Pictures in uniform?  Why not?  If you mention CAP in print, why not back up the text with photos?  Frankly, I don't see any difference.
Another former CAP officer

Capt Rivera

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 28, 2009, 02:35:01 PM
Frankly, I think it is very appropriate for a candidate to not his CAP service on his campaign literature.  Service in CAP suggests a committment to the country and the community, and should be viewed favorably. 

Pictures in uniform?  Why not?  If you mention CAP in print, why not back up the text with photos?  Frankly, I don't see any difference.

I agree with the above....

Quote from: jeders on May 28, 2009, 01:53:21 PM
Now here's another question, what if the CAP Member running for office, any office, is also a CAP Commander, should they step down? Should they only step down if there is a direct conflict of interest such as LEPC Chair or County Judge?

I dont see a conflict in running for any office. Depending on the office won a conflict of interest may be perceived by some looking for one so I might recommend stepping down from command... again depending on the office...

The fact that the person is still a member of CAP can be seen as a conflict of interest to those who want to see it that way... That fact that anyone has done anything in their life could also be a conflict... Because you were a lawyer/doctor/poor person/rich person/ a human and not a Polar Bear or Grey wolf someone can say you have a conflict of interest....  [reaching I know... but whats the difference?]
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Ned

In terms of a potential conflict, I don't think a person's status as a squadron or group commander is any different than any other member because only the wing commander is a corporate officer.

And FWIW, I am an elected official with over a million consitituents.  I was public about my CAP involvement during my campaign, but I don't think it cost me too many votes.   8)

Ned Lee
Former Legal Officer

ltcmark

I would say pictures or a mention are all acceptable.  Look at how many memberships CAP gives away to politicians.  At one time 25% of the members in Indiana Wing were from the legislative squadron.  Why would you not mention that or have a picture for proof.

We had a local state rep run a few years back.  He was a former Navy JAG.  He had a picture in his full Navy Class A get-up on the info that he put out.  He won.  The biggest comment I heard about his uniform pictures was from the women.  They all thought he looked cute ;D

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: mashcraft on May 29, 2009, 12:27:44 AM
I would say pictures or a mention are all acceptable.

We had a local state rep run a few years back.  He was a former Navy JAG.  He had a picture in his full Navy Class A get-up on the info that he put out. 
There's a VERY big difference between someone who served in the military and some "wanna bee" (military) guy or gal who runs for a political office and posts a picture of themselves wear a CAP blue uniform, which GIVES THE INAPPROPRIATE appearance of being in the military.  Most civilians who see CAP senior member personnel in blues or camo bdu's don't have enough smarts to know the difference.
Definitely sleezy >:(
RM   

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 29, 2009, 02:01:20 AM

We had a local state rep run a few years back.  He was a former Navy JAG.  He had a picture in his full Navy Class A get-up on the info that he put out. 
There's a VERY big difference between someone who served in the military and some "wanna bee" (military) guy or gal who runs for a political office and posts a picture of themselves wear a CAP blue uniform, which GIVES THE INAPPROPRIATE appearance of being in the military.  Most civilians who see CAP senior member personnel in blues or camo bdu's don't have enough smarts to know the difference.
RM

Fecal material from the male of the bovine species. ^

If a guy is in CAP and serving as a volunteer, he is free to state that.  In fact, as an elector, I WANT to know what potential officeholders do in their spare time.

If some hammerhead civilian does not know what CAP is, that is HIS problem, not mine and not the politician's.

And I look cute in uniform too.

EMT-83

I wear a CAP uniform and don't "wanna bee" military (or anything else). That's a pretty broad brush you're painting our members with.

RiverAux

Don't have a problem with mentioning it.  Would have a little bit of a problem with using a photo in CAP uniform if the person is still a current member. 

MIKE

I'd still apply CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1. even if it is just a picture.
Mike Johnston

PHall

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 29, 2009, 02:01:20 AM

RM

Have you considered anger management? Seriously...

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: MIKE on May 29, 2009, 03:50:28 AM
I'd still apply CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1. even if it is just a picture.

I would non-concur on that.

It is one thing to give a speech while wearing the uniform, and therefore imply official endorsement of your position or candidacy.  It is another thing to say "I serve in the CAP" and accompany that statement with a picture or with video in uniform. 

As long as CAP service is mentioned and pictured as a part of the candidates background I don't see a problem.  He can also say "I have worked for 25 years as a fender-rubber at Joe's Car Wash" and show a picture of that... or "I am happily married to the former Susie Sweathog, and we have 14 lovely children," with a family picture of him, Susie, and all the kids cleaned up.

DBlair

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Another related question is whether it is appropriate for a CAP member (who is also a political Candidate) to seek support (votes, etc) from other CAP members, and if so, what methods would be appropriate in order to not cross the line of suggesting 'official' support?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

RiverAux

It certainly shouldn't be something that should be done before, during, or after a meeting while you're still in uniform.  I'd even be somewhat leery of sending an email for this purpose to people I've met and mostly interact with through CAP.  It just cuts things a little too close for my taste.

Now, I wouldn't think it would be a problem asking people from CAP to vote for me if I regularly interact with them outside of CAP on a personal, non-CAP-business, basis. 

ZigZag911

We had a case of a wing staff member running for the state assembly sending campaign info (including fund raisers!) over the wing email list, which I felt was improper.

In a case like this, I think the most that should go out to the wing is a general notice along the lines of "Captain X is running for the legislature, for more info see his web site".

If even that....

BrandonKea

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 10, 2009, 05:02:46 AM
We had a case of a wing staff member running for the state assembly sending campaign info (including fund raisers!) over the wing email list, which I felt was improper.

In a case like this, I think the most that should go out to the wing is a general notice along the lines of "Captain X is running for the legislature, for more info see his web site".

If even that....

I think even that would be inappropriate. If you have friends in CAP, and you use their e-mail casually, then maybe, but to blow up the email list smacks of abuse.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP