San Francisco school board votes to keep JROTC

Started by CAP Producer, May 14, 2009, 12:45:36 PM

CAP Producer

Linky: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/san ... ily31.html

San Francisco Business Times

The San Francisco school board voted 4-3 Tuesday night to keep the Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps program three weeks before it was set to expire.

The board reversed a 2006 vote to remove the program from public high schools, largely because of the military's policy on gay and lesbian servicemen and women.

The four members who voted to remove the program three years ago are no longer on the school board.

Board members Rachel Norton, Hydra Mendoza, Norman Yee and Jill Wynns voted to keep JROTC. Jane Kim, Kim-Shree Maufas and Sandra Fewer voted against the program.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
AL PABON, Major, CAP

jimmydeanno

URL above not working, try this one: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2009/05/11/daily31.html

The only other news that could have made this better would be "SF votes to replace JROTC with CAP"
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BrandonKea

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 14, 2009, 01:10:23 PM
URL above not working, try this one: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2009/05/11/daily31.html

The only other news that could have made this better would be "SF votes to replace JROTC with CAP"

I'm still not convinced CAP works well in the school environment as well as AFJROTC
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Spike

It was only saved because Obama is trying to get rid of "Don't ask, don't tell", and SF did not want to look like idiots when the policies were reversed. 

CFI_Ed

Quote from: Spike on May 14, 2009, 08:47:56 PM
It was only saved because Obama is trying to get rid of "Don't ask, don't tell", and SF did not want to look like idiots when the policies were reversed.
Actually the program was saved because JROTC Cadets, Instructors, parents and other program supporters showed how important the program was.  Same things that our Cadet Program does; leadership training, channeling cadets into a program that helps keep them "off the streets" and in school, and also adding some discipline in their lives.  It took a major effort by the program's supporters, to include a citywide vote of support to overcome those nitwits on the SF Unified School District Board of Education.
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

Gunner C

Quote from: CFI_Ed on May 14, 2009, 09:08:29 PM
Actually the program was saved because JROTC Cadets, Instructors, parents and other program supporters showed how important the program was.  Same things that our Cadet Program does; leadership training, channeling cadets into a program that helps keep them "off the streets" and in school, and also adding some discipline in their lives.  It took a major effort by the program's supporters, to include a citywide vote of support to overcome those nitwits on the SF Unified School District Board of Education.
I saw a news story on that.  Those cadets did yeoman's work on that - they lobbied hard, got support, and went straight to the people.  They saw the caliber of students were in JROTC and thought better of supporting board members who would torpedo this worthy youth program.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rotorhead

Man, you just can't make some people happy, can you?
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

notaNCO forever

From what I have seen it is not even near the top of his priority list to do this and more of just a campaign promise.

Eclipse

Quote from: NCO forever on May 15, 2009, 10:16:20 PM

From what I have seen it is not even near the top of his priority list to do this and more of just a campaign promise.

If anything its come out in the news this week that he is backing off that stance, at least for now.

"That Others May Zoom"

USADOD

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 14, 2009, 02:09:46 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 14, 2009, 01:10:23 PM

I'm still not convinced CAP works well in the school environment as well as AFJROTC

Actually, I think CAP cadet Program works very well in a school environment. Here in the Motor City(Detroit) we have several school based units and they are excleent. In fact i'm considering after retiring from the Army after i've made that COL or Battalion Commander and starting a military academy integrated with the CAP Cadet Program. ;D
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

Spike

Quote from: USADOD on May 22, 2009, 07:12:10 AM
.........In fact i'm considering after retiring from the Army after i've made that COL or Battalion Commander and starting a military academy integrated with the CAP Cadet Program. ;D

Good for you.  However, you either want to become a Battalion Commander (LTC) or a Colonel.  One is a position with the rank of Lt. Colonel, the other is not. 

I applaud your desire to be a Commissioned Officer.  We need more Officers today. 

dwb

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 14, 2009, 02:09:46 PMI'm still not convinced CAP works well in the school environment as well as AFJROTC

I only have experience with one CAP middle school program, but I can tell you they're doing great things.  It's actually a really good program, but like anything with CAP, you need good leaders to make it work.