Hooray for Cadets Earning a Private Pilot Certificate!

Started by es_g0d, May 01, 2009, 07:41:46 AM

es_g0d

From an AOPA newsletter:

Teen Civil Air Patrol members earn pilot's certificates
Three teen-aged Civil Air Patrol cadets in Florida have earned private pilot's certificates following months of studying and practice sessions. "Anybody can drive a car, but flying a plane requires a lot more of you," said Heather Osborne, 18, who earned her certificate Feb. 9. Officials said the program owes its success to CAP member and Ocala Aviation owner Ron Towater, who furnishes his aircraft at cost for flying instruction. Ocala Star-Banner (Fla.) (4/30)

At least, I assume they're cadets.  Regardless, congratulations are in order!
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

DG

Scott,

This is John Edsall's squadron in Ocala.  John is Group Commander, and this is his home squadron.

Carol Garratt, the instructor, just set the around the world record a couple months ago in her Mooney.  I met Carol last June (before her flight) when I was down to see John.  I saw her again last week at Sun and Fun.

The article mentions the squadron's color guard.  What it doesn't say is that the squadron's color guard won the National competition last year at Wright-Patt.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20090430/ARTICLES/904299943

Maj Ballard

Quote from: DG on May 01, 2009, 12:04:01 PM
What it doesn't say is that the squadron's color guard won the National competition last year at Wright-Pat.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20090430/ARTICLES/904299943

That's because the squadron's color guard DID NOT win NCC last year. The color guard was made up of cadets from Group 2. Three of the cadets were from Gainesville Composite Squadron, and one (though from Gainesville at the time of comp) is now an Ocala (Marion County) cadet.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

DG

Quote from: Captain B on May 01, 2009, 12:12:13 PMThat's because the squadron's color guard DID NOT win NCC last year. The color guard was made up of cadets from Group 2. Three of the cadets were from Gainesville Composite Squadron, and one (though from Gainesville at the time of comp) is now an Ocala (Marion County) cadet.

Thank you for clarifying.

John's GROUP 2 color guard DID WIN the National Color Guard Competition last year at Wright-Patt.

28 counties in Group 2.

DC

Quote from: DG on May 01, 2009, 05:23:33 PM
Quote from: Captain B on May 01, 2009, 12:12:13 PMThat's because the squadron's color guard DID NOT win NCC last year. The color guard was made up of cadets from Group 2. Three of the cadets were from Gainesville Composite Squadron, and one (though from Gainesville at the time of comp) is now an Ocala (Marion County) cadet.

Thank you for clarifying.

John's GROUP 2 color guard DID WIN the National Color Guard Compettion last year at Wright-Patt.

28 counties in Group 2.
The cadets on the team that won NCGC last year were all from Gainesville or Ocala.

Since there is kinda-sorta a question at the end of the OP's post, out of the cadets mentioned in the article, only Cadet Piferrer is still active, he is currently the C/CC of Marion County Composite.

es_g0d

I firmly believe that the Cadet Program builds better Americans.  Not necessarily pilots, Air Force Generals, or even leaders.  I'm very proud to be part of an organization that can help young people go places in life.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

DBlair

Any info as to whether Ocala Aviation provides its aircraft at cost for all CAP members, or just Cadets? ;)

On a somewhat unrelated note- why is it that FL Wing is so focused on the CG Competition? Coming from NJ, everything was all about the DT, and then I rejoin here in FL and everything seems to be reversed. Any reason as to why CG is the focus here, or is it just a random thing?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

BillB

Florida Wing has about 100 Squadrons. However, many are in remote areas, and have fairly small cadet memberships, average size is 18 cadets.  With age differences and graduation, dropping from the program it's hard to get enough cadets together over a year for drill comp practices.  Exceptions being Orlando, Tampa and lower East Coats area. Thus it's hard to get enough cadets for a drill team due to mileage. The distance between Gainesville and Ocala is 35 miles along an Interstate. so it's easier to get a color guard formed for competition.
Also about five years ago Capt. David Leali formed the Wing Color Guard Academy. And due to the training from the Academy, Florida teams have won National Color Guard Competition twice or placed in top 3 the other years.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

BillB

I've talked University Air Center in Gainesville to provide ten hours of full motion simulator instruction to CAP Cadets. This will be split into five scholarships. The simulator is a glass cockpit Cessna 172. and can move in three axis. The reason the scholarships are two hours each is that's all that can be logged for a private license. The scholarships are open to cadets in the Gainesville Composite Squadron and will involve a written test and a Selection Board composed of three active or retired USAF and Navy O-6's.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

CASH172

^ Does one squadron have enough interested cadets to have 5 scholarship opportunities, with such a selective process.  With that, I'd have to say, it's a squadron with a well driven AE program. 

Maj Ballard

The Gainesville squadron certainly does. I can name about 10 cadets from that unit off the top of my head who would be great candidates.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

flyguy06

The Private Pilots certificate is awesome. I like to see caets get things like that