Main Menu

Announcement of PCR CC

Started by Chappie, April 23, 2009, 04:49:52 PM

Chappie

The selection of the PCR CC was announced this morning by our National Commander, MGen Amy Courter.

Col Larry Myrick has been selected to serve as the PCR CC.   Col Myrick is a former California Wing Commander, and has a long background of service to CAP. Most recently, he has served as the Vice Commander of Pacific Region. According to MGen Courter, his experience and familiarity in PCR will enable him to hit the ground running and continue the positive momentum. Col Myrick's term as PCR/CC will begin on 1 May, with the change of command occurring at the NEC meeting in Salt Lake City next week.   

MGen Courter expressed her thanks Col Ernie Pearson for his leadership, communication, and oversight of the Pacific Region of CAP. He has served in an exemplary manner, and in addition to the legacy he leaves in PCR, he has served in instrumental ways in significant national initiatives: as leader of the Large Wing Affinity Group, and as a key member of the Organizational Excellence team. 

Col Pearson is stepping down from PCR/CC to lead the Organizational Excellence (OE) initiative as the National OE Officer for CAP.   

Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

AlphaSigOU

Congrats to Col Myrick - met him at PCRSC earlier this month.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Smokey

Col Myrick is a stand up guy.  He has always been above board in every dealing I have ever had with him.  He is a man of integrity and I enjoyed working with him over the years when I was on CAWG staff.

He even made a trip just pin on 2nd lieutenant on my son when he was a kadink.

A great choice. 
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

flyguy06

SO, I have seen the regs on the requirements and selection process for WIng Commanders, but how do you become a Region Commander? I havent seen anything on that.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

20-1 is a duty description of the job. It doesnt address how someone gets the position

PHall

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 24, 2009, 02:19:29 AM
SO, I have seen the regs on the requirements and selection process for WIng Commanders, but how do you become a Region Commander? I havent seen anything on that.

Well, you usually have to have completed a sucessful tour as a Wing Commander.
And then be insane enough to want the job.

But, IIRC, there is a new reg that states how Region Commanders are selected.
I haven't looked it up since I don't want to be a Region Commander. ;)

SarDragon

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 24, 2009, 02:37:11 AM
20-1 is a duty description of the job. It doesnt address how someone gets the position

From page 4, Para 13.a.:

Region commanders are appointed by the National Commander and have command authority over all CAP units and members within their respective regions. As members of the NEC, they are the senior corporate officers for their regions and exercise authority as such.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chappie

Flyguy....

Here is the letter that was sent by the National Commander regarding the selection process of the region commander:

OFFICE OF THE NATIONAL COMMANDER
NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS
CIVIL AIR PATROL
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE AUXILIARY
MAXWELL AIR FORCE BASE, ALABAMA 36112-6332

25 March 2009

MEMORANDUM TO POTENTIAL APPLICANTS FOR PACIFIC REGION COMMANDER

SUBJECT: Notice of Application and Process Position

1. This document is official notice of the application, interview and selection process for the position of the Pacific Region Commander.

2. Interview Board Overview.
(1) The interview board will be formed by and report to the CAP/CC.
(2) Each member will review and consider applications individually.
(3) The members will interview the selected candidates as a board.
(4) Each member will discuss and then cast their votes independently.
(5) The interview board will provide information exclusively to the CAP/CC.
(6) The CAP/CC will make the final selection decision.

3. Process.
a. A call for applications will be published, and this letter serves as that call.
b. Applications: (including supporting documentation).
(1) Applications must include:
(a) Curriculum Vitae (résumé) for CAP, Military, Business, etc.
(b) A signed release form, which may be obtained from Ms. Susie Parker.
(c) Answers to all of the following questions (not to exceed 2 pages total):
1 What is your vision for the future of the region?
2 What strategies and partnerships will you use to strengthen CAP in the region?
3 What experiences have prepared you for the role of Region CC?
4 How will you balance the missions (AE, CP, ES) of CAP in the region?
5 What time and CAP/family/business/other support will you have to ensure your success as Region CC?
(2) Applications must be e-mailed to the CAP/CC via Ms. Susan Parker at SParker@capnhq.gov and to the interview board chair, Colonel Chuck Carr, at ccn15180@wowway.com
(3) Applications must be e-mailed prior to midnight (applicant's local time) of the deadline stated in paragraph 4 of this letter.
(4) Applications with original signatures must be mailed/shipped to the attention of Ms. Susie Parker at NHQ within one day following the deadline.
(5) Applications must include all required information to be considered.
c. Application Receipt.
(1) An e-mail receipt will be sent by the interview board chair to the applicant when his/her application is received.
(2) If receipt is not received within 2 days following transmission, inform the CAP/CC.
d. Application Review and Interview Selection.
(1) Each member of the board will review and consider each application.
(2) Each member of the board will agree to any narrowing of the field for the interviews (if any board member requests the interview, it will be granted).
(3) A list of the applicants to be interviewed will be electronically transmitted via all existing official CAP email redirectors and mailing lists within the region, and any current CAP member may provide feedback directly to the CAP/CC at CourterA@Earthlink.net prior to the interviews. Exception: Wing Commanders in this chain of command should contact the CAP/CC via telephone to share their thoughts, and they are encouraged to do so.
e. In-person Interviews.
(1) Applicants selected for interviews will be notified by the board chairperson.
(2) Any applicant not selected for an interview will be notified by the CAP/CC.
(3) Candidates for interviews will be notified at least 7 calendar days prior to the interview date in the case of in-person interviews, and at least 3 days prior in the event of conference call interviews.
(4) Interviews will be held in a location (or via call) determined by the board chairperson.
(5) Two days will be set aside for interviews.
(6) Applicants must make all attempts to meet the interview schedule; rare exceptions may be made only by contacting the CAP/CC as soon as a scheduling conflict is recognized.
f. Selection.
(1) The interview board will provide perceived strengths, areas for improvement, and other relevant information of the applicants to the CAP/CC immediately following the completion of the interview process.
(2) The CAP/CC will review the information provided by the interview board. 2
(3) The CAP/CC may hold telephonic interviews of selected candidates.
(4) The CAP/CC will render the decision and document the selection.
(5) The CAP/CC will make notification to all interviewed applicants of the decision.

4. Etiquette/Ethics/Protocol.
a. This is a confidential process, and information regarding applicants, their interviews, or other information garnered in the process of this selection will not be shared with others outside of the process. All information will be treated confidentially.
b. Any questions from applicants about waivers, the overall selection process, or timing should be directed to both the CAP/CC and interview board chairman. Any questions about the interview process should be directed to the interview board chairperson.
c. Any concerns with the interview committee or process may be shared with the CAP/CC. Similarly, any process improvement suggestions will be welcomed by the CAP/CC.
d. As noted above, current CAP members may go outside of the chain of command to provide feedback, both positive and negative, to the CAP/CC after the list of interview applicants has been announced and before the interviews are held.

5. Timing.
a. 10 Apr 2009 Application deadline
b. 15 Apr 2009 Interview selection and notification to all applicants
c. 17-19 Apr 2009 Interviews will be held (telephonically, because of expense)
d. 23 Apr 2009 Selection will be made and all interviewees notified
e. 1 May 2009 Assumption of command

6. Qualifications. The minimum qualifications for application to the position of Region Commander are:
a. Be a member in good standing currently holding the grade of Colonel.
b. Completed Level IV of the CAP Professional Development program (Level V preferred).
c. Complete three years of command and corporate officer experience at the wing, region or national level.
d. Budget and asset allocation experience within or external to CAP.
e. Five years of Leadership/Management experience within or external to CAP.
f. Ten years of CAP membership with no less than 3 years of continuous service prior to applying for this position.
g. Prior to appointment as Region Commander, the applicant must successfully complete a fingerprint rescreening.
h. Agree to and successfully complete the CAP-selected Commander Background Check.

7. The role of a region commander in our Civil Air Patrol is significant, and requires a person ready to devote time, talent and energy to this position. As you consider submission of your application, I ask that you please weigh your abilities, availability and motivations carefully.

AMY S. COURTER
Major General, CAP
National Commander

Gunner C

I agree with everything she has outlined save one:  Level V should be required, not just preferred.  If an officer hasn't completed the executive level of training, then why should they be an executive?

badger bob

The OE program is designed to address that
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

Mustang

Quote from: Gunner C on April 25, 2009, 06:40:07 AM
I agree with everything she has outlined save one:  Level V should be required, not just preferred.  If an officer hasn't completed the executive level of training, then why should they be an executive?

Pretty sure Col Myrick has completed Level V.   His wife Peggy served as director of the National Staff College during the past few years.

And I agree, he's an outstanding pick for PACR/CC.  He was easily the most effective wing commander I've ever served under in my 24-ish years as a member.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

bosshawk

I'll second Mustang's remarks about Col Myrick.  He is the one Wing King in my 16 years who showed sufficient leadership qualities to suit my taste.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

wingnut55

I here Bosshawk is up for Wing CC   :clap:

Chappie

Quote from: Mustang on May 10, 2009, 09:03:26 AM
Quote from: Gunner C on April 25, 2009, 06:40:07 AM

Pretty sure Col Myrick has completed Level V.   His wife Peggy served as director of the National Staff College during the past few years.

And I agree, he's an outstanding pick for PACR/CC.  He was easily the most effective wing commander I've ever served under in my 24-ish years as a member.

Col Myrick has the GRW.  Would concurr wholeheartedly with Mustang's observations.  It has been a privilege to have served on Wing staff with Col Myrick as well as serving with him on Region Staff.  And it is a pleasure and privilege with Lt Col Peggy Myrick as well at National Staff College and on wing/region staff together.  When it comes to Professional Development, there is none better.  They are a dynamic duo.

bosshawk

Wingnut: don't start rumors that you can't substantiate.  When my tour as CDO is up on 1 Nov, I will not be found within 300 miles of Wing Hq.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777