SLS , CLC Clarification question

Started by Dutchboy, April 22, 2009, 05:42:08 PM

Dutchboy

I just want to clarify that a SLS or CLC can indeed be done by a squadron (inviting other squadron's also) with Wing PDO/CC approval?

MIKE

Quote from: CAPR 50-174-6. b. How Conducted. Each CAP wing should conduct at least one SLS annually. Failure to do so deprives members of
the opportunity to progress in training. Either the wing or region should conduct the SLS. The course is designed for 2
training days of no less than a total of 12 hours of instruction. Training can be spread out over several meetings so long as
the 12 hours of instruction requirement is met. No less than 6 hours of instruction should be spent on the three mission
elements. Active duty, Reserve, and National Guard military members with teaching experience may augment the faculty for
this course.

Quote from: CAPR 50-175-3. c. How Conducted. Wings should conduct a CLC at least once a year. The course consists of 2 training days of no
less than 12 total hours of instruction. Training can be spread out over several meetings so long as the 12 hours of instruction
requirement is met. CLC course directors are encouraged to be flexible in covering the mission support functions using a
combination of instructional methods and media. However, no less than 6 hours of instruction should be spent on the three
mission elements.
Mike Johnston

dwb

The Wing selects a director for the course.  A squadron could be a host unit, but it's still a Wing activity.

SLS or CLC isn't a squadron activity, and staff members / instructors should be those that are best qualified, even if they reside outside of the host unit.

Dutchboy

Quote from: MIKE on April 22, 2009, 05:48:30 PM
Quote from: CAPR 50-174-6. b. How Conducted. Each CAP wing should conduct at least one SLS annually. Failure to do so deprives members of
the opportunity to progress in training. Either the wing or region should conduct the SLS. The course is designed for 2
training days of no less than a total of 12 hours of instruction. Training can be spread out over several meetings so long as
the 12 hours of instruction requirement is met. No less than 6 hours of instruction should be spent on the three mission
elements. Active duty, Reserve, and National Guard military members with teaching experience may augment the faculty for
this course.

Quote from: CAPR 50-175-3. c. How Conducted. Wings should conduct a CLC at least once a year. The course consists of 2 training days of no
less than 12 total hours of instruction. Training can be spread out over several meetings so long as the 12 hours of instruction
requirement is met. CLC course directors are encouraged to be flexible in covering the mission support functions using a
combination of instructional methods and media. However, no less than 6 hours of instruction should be spent on the three
mission elements.

I wish it was more than once a year in my wing.  The waiting game for something lihis is not good for retention.

dwb

In some Wings, the Wing-level PDO doesn't see fit to ensure SLS and CLC are being made available.  In those cases, unfortunately, the onus is on a prior graduate of the course to step up and volunteer to direct one.

If you know of an SLS or CLC grad that would make a good director, you could beg them do run one.

It shouldn't have to be that way, but if there is a need, sometimes you have to initiate it from the lower echelon.  If the demand is there for more than one SLS or CLC a year, the Wing should offer it.

jimmydeanno

I've directed a few SLS and CLC at the unit level.  However, our squadron was just the host for it.  The wing approved it, we got instructors from across the wing and students came from all over.

So it wasn't just our unit conducting the course on our own, the wing bought into it, but didn't require them to put any effort into it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

There's no reason they can't be done at the unit or Group Level, however as said they are always a Wing-activity.

Put together a plan and contact your wing's PDO.  In many cases the only reason a wing has one is the perception no one else is willing to do them.

When I started CAP my wing only had one a year, now we have at least 3-4 or each.

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

Locally we could run a SLS or CLC just about any time we wanted to.  It still requires Wing approval and appointment of the Course Director, but since Wing does not provide any funding, there really is no issue.  The only major limits we have are getting enough students to make it worthwhile, finding good instructors to mix with the few who need to work staff for PD advancement, and scheduling a facility.  That is enough to cause us to only offer SLS and CLC once a year in our part of the state.  The last one we ran had students from four CAP Wings.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Strick

I just directed a SLS  hosted by South  Central Group NYWG.  I used instrucors fromdiffrent units and had persons attend from another wing :)
[darn]atio memoriae

dwb

Did you tell your attendees about the CLC in Central NY in the fall?  ;D

http://cny.nywg.cap.gov/clc/

RiverAux

I can't imagine a request to host one ever being turned down -- assuming you've also got someone volunteering to be the director. 

Spike

Quote from: RiverAux on April 22, 2009, 10:53:42 PM
I can't imagine a request to host one ever being turned down -- assuming you've also got someone volunteering to be the director. 

My buddy in PA Wing says her Wing only has the CLC twice a year at the Wing HQ.  It took her 5.5 hours to get there, and shell out well over $200.00 for food, and a bed.

Maybe that has changed......someone from Pa Wing will have to chime in on that.