Anyone taken both SOS and ACSC?

Started by capes, April 21, 2009, 08:36:33 PM

capes

I just finished with SOS, and enrolled in ACSC.  Can anyone tell me anything about the ACSC exams?  Are they more difficult than SOS? Vice versa?

ColonelJack

I don't know if I can help, since I did both, but did them in the late '80s - early '90s.  I do recall that the ACSC coursework and exams were harder than SOS, and they were supposed to be.  SOS is like an "introduction" while ACSC is more along the lines of "senior course work."  Wait till you try Air War College -- that's post-grad work there.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Cecil DP

I did my SOS in 76 and ACSC in 1983. As stated in an earlier post the ACSC was more difficult, but also much more interesting. Since it's been 25+ years since I took them, my information is obsolete. If you can spare the time NSC is actually better for you as a CAP member, because it is focused on CAP. ACSC is/was a graduate level course which actually goes more into management, history, and leadership for an AF officer.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

DBlair

So, what did you all think of SOS? I'm eager to pin on Captain so I can take this course.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: DBlair on April 22, 2009, 07:41:43 AM
So, what did you all think of SOS? I'm eager to pin on Captain so I can take this course.

It's not a bad course, but you want to make sure that you devote plenty of time and discipline for self-study. You've got a year and a half to take the course, and minimum passing for each section (there are 5) is 65%. Some of the course material is online and you have to jump through hoops to get initially enrolled. Unlike ECI/AFIADL/AU A4/A6 13 there is no 6-month 'penalty box' time you have to serve if you run out of time; you have to re-enroll again and start over. (I couldn't finish it this go-around because of my work schedule. Once things get less hectic I'll re-enroll in SOS.)

Complete SOS and when you complete Level IV and the Garber award you can wear a bronze star denoting completion of SOS on the Garber ribbon.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

O-Rex

capes:

It's a royal pain, and you'll despise it while you're doing it, but in the end, you're getting an education you won't find in the civilian world, and certainly not in CAP.

DO IT!

(just make the time for study: a lot of time.)

dwb

They changed SOS this year.  I only took it last year, and my information is already out of date.  I enjoyed it, but like others have said, make sure you devote some time to studying before you enroll in the course.

I was considering ACSC, but another senior member in my Group is smooth-talking me into going to National Staff College with him, so I'll forego the correspondence course.

ColonelJack

Quote from: dwb on April 22, 2009, 01:15:22 PM
I was considering ACSC, but another senior member in my Group is smooth-talking me into going to National Staff College with him, so I'll forego the correspondence course.

As an educator and as a doctoral candidate ... I can only say to you:

Do both.

You will benefit from the experience.

Trust me.

(Now, whether you have the time to do both, I don't know, but I do know you will benefit.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 21, 2009, 08:51:12 PM
I don't know if I can help, since I did both, but did them in the late '80s - early '90s.  I do recall that the ACSC coursework and exams were harder than SOS, and they were supposed to be.  SOS is like an "introduction" while ACSC is more along the lines of "senior course work."  Wait till you try Air War College -- that's post-grad work there.

Jack

+1

I also did SOS and ACSC in the early 80's and AWC a couple of years ago, so my actual course data is obsolete.

SOS is lower level management training, ACSC is mid-level, and AWC is senior management.  All will take time, but all are very rewarding.

If you don't have your BA/BS or MA/MS, all three will provide college level credit with ACSC and AWC providing graduate level credits.

You should still take RSC and NSC for the networking.

Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Short Field

The following is from the American Council on Education and refers to the current ACSC distant learning course:

Instruction: Topics include international dynamics, national security policymaking process, military history, military administration and leadership, and nature of war.

Credit Recommendation: In the graduate degree category, 6 semester hours in military history, 3 in regional studies, 6 in defense resources management, and 6 in national and international securities studies (5/04)(5/04).
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Short Field

The following is from the American Council on Education and refers to the current Air War College correspondence course:

Instruction: This is the senior professional school in the US Air Force. The program is offered through correspondence, providing for individualized student reading and research. It includes case studies and supplementary student-organized seminars on military strategy, national and international security, and aerospace allocations for the purpose of developing and employing aerospace power. The curriculum, in particular, focuses on the historical evolution of US and foreign military strategy and doctrine; the nature of power and its role in the international system; changing threats to national and international security; and regional studies with an assessment of the effects of regional developments on US and global security. Focus is also on the impact of science and technology on weapons systems and on national and international security; the formulation and implementation of national defense and security; and the allocation and management of defense resources.

Credit Recommendation: In the graduate degree category, 6 semester hours in military history and strategy, 3 in regional studies, 6 in defense resource management, and 12 in defense policy/national and international security (9/03)(9/03).
Wilson #2640

Short Field

The following is from the Amercian Council on Education and refers to the current distant learning Squadron Officers School course:

Instruction:  Nonresident students complete their work and their assignments through online delivery. This school is the first of three major schools for Air Force officers as they pursue their professional military careers. The school stresses military organization, leadership, management, and communication. Approaches to subject mastery include readings and computer simulations. Emphasis is placed on knowledge acquisition and the development of operational skills in four major areas: officership, force employment, leadership, and communication skills.

Credit Recommendation:  In the upper-division baccalaureate category, 3 semester hours in managerial communications and 3 in national security studies and military strategy (3/06)(3/06).
Wilson #2640

Short Field

Before you get too excited about the number of graduate hours you can get credit for, you need to seriously talk to the university you plan to attend.   How much credit you get depends on the specific degree program you are enrolled in and how the credits satisfy the specfic degree requirements, the maximum number of credits the school allows you transfer from another school, and their policies on how they transfer credits into the program.  I know of a couple of schools (private for profit) that are generous in accepting outside credits - but they require you to pay them for the credits at the same rate as their own courses.   
Wilson #2640

DBlair

Another benefit that many members seem not to realize is that these count for military PME credit (if the CAP member is also a member of the military), regardless of the branch they are in as each accepts sister-service credit. Thus, doing these courses as a CAP member could potentially help with being PME complete for promotions, etc.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Short Field

^^^ Check your service's policy first.  If the US Army has not selected you to attend War College or complete a distant learning version of War College, you will not get credit for attending War College (actually Senior Service School) if you complete Air War College.  Lost a Army member of my Air War College seminar due to this.
Wilson #2640