First CAP flight today

Started by ozone, April 19, 2009, 01:47:14 AM

ozone

I recently got my PPL (february 2009 to be exact) and I joined CAP after a friend told me about it as a way to fly for cheaper than in the civilian world.

So today, I did my first check flight with the civil air patrol.  They are way more strict than the 141 school I went to in Denver.  It was nothing i couldn't handle, but it was an interesting experience.  For example, one of the things I learned about in training is how to do a power-off landing.  Where I trained, this was simply done with a pretend landing spot and you let the plane drift down to 500 feet above the ground and put the power back in.  Not in the CAP!  The instructor had me cut the power 2000 feet above the ground and had me land at a local airport runway (2B2 in case you are curious).  The first two tries, I overshot the runway (darn 172's glide forever at 68 knots).  But, on the third attempt, I landed it!  It was really cool to know that  i can land the plane safely with no propeller....good skill to know.

Then, we had some added fun by flying at minimal controllable airspeed.  I got that sucker down below the end of the white arc with the stall horn blaring and I was able to do a decent 5 degree turn for 180 degrees without stalling.  I was surprised that i didnt even have to put power in to maintain altitude (must be all this thick sea air in MA).  Again, not something that was done as part of my PPL, but very useful to know just how slow you can go in a 172R (180 conversion).

Finally, we did a BUNCH of landings at KBVY as the wind managed to shift below us and I ended up landing on three out of 4 possible runways (13 landings total...not my record for an afternoon; but darn close).  Again, not something i ever saw in Colorado.....there, the wind seemed to stay put (relatively).

And finally:  all this entertainment and learning cost me 2.3 on the hobbs and about $140 (less than a 1 hour, no-instructor, rental across the field...ha!).

So, that's it, I just wanted to share about my good experience with CAP and I now know a few more tricks that I didnt know before. And now i know what everyone means about the PPL just giving you a license to learn.

Now, where do i buy one of those cool nomex suits?  ;D

Gunner C

A.Member

Congratulations and welcome to CAP!   But I'd be remiss if I didn't say I hope there is a lot more to your membership than coming to the organization for some cheap flight time.  While it is a perk, that is not the purpose of CAP.

Again, glad you're learning something from the organization so quickly...just remember to pay it back.  :)

Good luck!
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

openmind

Quote from: ozone on April 19, 2009, 01:47:14 AM
I recently got my PPL (february 2009 to be exact) and I joined CAP after a friend told me about it as a way to fly for cheaper than in the civilian world.

For example, one of the things I learned about in training is how to do a power-off landing.  Where I trained, this was simply done with a pretend landing spot and you let the plane drift down to 500 feet above the ground and put the power back in.  Not in the CAP!  The instructor had me cut the power 2000 feet above the ground and had me land at a local airport runway (2B2 in case you are curious).  The first two tries, I overshot the runway (darn 172's glide forever at 68 knots).  But, on the third attempt, I landed it!  It was really cool to know that  i can land the plane safely with no propeller....good skill to know.

Welcome to CAP!  As someone else said above, please think of all the opportunities it offers, in addition to cheap(er) flying.

That said, I can't believe we are churning out Private Pilots who don't do a single power-off landing during their training.  Heck, I did 2 or 3 dead-stick (idling...) to a full stop before I soloed!  Including coming in too hot, and slipping the thing like there was no tomorrow.  Of course, I also did spins in my private training, and think they should be mandatory, so maybe I'm just a dinosaur at less than 40 years old.   :-[

It sounds like you have a great attitude about learning what all you can really do with an airplane, so good luck with all the experience you'll be getting shortly.  The ability to fly around in these little planes is just amazing, even to this day I often get awestruck at the idea.

openmind

dbarbee

Quote from: ozone on April 19, 2009, 01:47:14 AMThen, we had some added fun by flying at minimal controllable airspeed.  I got that sucker down below the end of the white arc with the stall horn blaring and I was able to do a decent 5 degree turn for 180 degrees without stalling.  I was surprised that i didnt even have to put power in to maintain altitude (must be all this thick sea air in MA).  Again, not something that was done as part of my PPL

Are you saying you didn't do turns at MCA during private training or that you just didn't get below the white arc?
Daniel Barbee 2d Lt
CAP Pilot / TMP / MS / MO / MP (Trainee)
Council Oak Senior Squadron Tulsa, OK-125
Okahoma Wing / Southwest Region

SJFedor

Welcome to the Civil Air Patrol! Glad you had a good experience on your checkride.

You're gonna find that, since you have lower time, some of the opportunities in CAP as a pilot won't come til later. However, use this time to learn those things which you're aiming towards. If you want to end up as a Mission Pilot, get your MS and MO qualifications and become VERY competent in the right seat. Some of the best new MP's i've seen are those who have a lot of experience as a participating MO.

That really does surprise me that you never had to do a power-off landing as part of your FAA checkride, if nothing else. I took my PPL ride in 04 and had to do it. They're a good thing to practice though, especially the power off 180 to landing you have to do for your commercial.

And, I'm sure you've already learned this, but ask 3 pilots how to do something, you might get 5 answers. With the 172, 68 knots is a little fast. Try aiming for 65 on the approach, 60 over the threshold. It'll float a lot less that way.

And do you want the green zoombag, or the blue one?  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

DG

Quote from: ozone on April 19, 2009, 01:47:14 AMThen, we had some added fun by flying at minimal controllable airspeed.  I got that sucker down below the end of the white arc with the stall horn blaring and I was able to do a decent 5 degree turn for 180 degrees without stalling. 

Next time, do the maneuvere, including the turns, without the yoke.

No ailerons.

Use just the rudder.

And use pitch trim for pitch.

DG

Quote from: SJFedor on April 19, 2009, 06:49:34 PMAnd do you want the green zoombag, or the blue one?  ;D

Stevie,

I want the blue one.

$258. at Vanguard.

ozone

Quote from: dbarbee on April 19, 2009, 03:19:25 PM
Are you saying you didn't do turns at MCA during private training or that you just didn't get below the white arc?

Never got below about 45 knots in my PPL lessons....just slow flight not true MCA. The CAP instructor guessed that we were probably going about 35 knots during those maneuvers yesterday.

From other comments I have read here, perhaps there's a difference with the thinner air in terms of some of these maneuvers?  Where I trained (just outside of denver), we were often at a density altitude of 9500 feet (at the airport) in the summer and the groundspeed for landing was almost always about 80-85 knots when the indicated airspeed said 65.  We were usually flying at 7500-8500 feet just to be at a safe altitude. 

SJFedor

Quote from: DG on April 19, 2009, 07:33:46 PM
Quote from: ozone on April 19, 2009, 01:47:14 AMThen, we had some added fun by flying at minimal controllable airspeed.  I got that sucker down below the end of the white arc with the stall horn blaring and I was able to do a decent 5 degree turn for 180 degrees without stalling. 

Next time, do the maneuvere, including the turns, without the yoke.

No ailerons.

Use just the rudder.

And use pitch trim for pitch.

Ughhh. You just brought back memories.  :P

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

es_g0d

Memories of flying, Steve?  I'm pretty sure you can still do it.  :D  Stop riding that murder-cycle and get in the air!
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

SJFedor

Quote from: es_g0d on April 21, 2009, 01:35:05 AM
Memories of flying, Steve?  I'm pretty sure you can still do it.  :D  Stop riding that murder-cycle and get in the air!

No, no. Memories of DG making me do that skill over and over again.

And i'm flying tomorrow, so hush  :P

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Crash

GREAT JOB!

GREAT START!

Don't stop there!  I echo what SJ wrote about when he says to go on and get your MO.  You can really get a taste of CAP life in the air - and have fun too!  When I started my transition training to the Glass 182, flying as much as I could in the right seat really helped me understand what was going on in the left.

As you build your hours, soon you will have gained enough hours to become a Mission Transport Pilot.  What's good about this is, with a willing MP or CFI, you may be able to fly one leg or the other to and/or from SAREX's and other CAP activities that can help build time and confidence.  So get your MO and have fun while you are building your time.

Lastly, find a buddy or mentor in the CAP.  Their experiece and general camaraderie are invaluable to your CAP walk, and will help avoid alot of the bumps in the road the rest of us had to learn the hard way  ::)

Again congrats!

flyguy06

Congradulations to you. I agree what some folks have said here thougg. ALthough EVERYONE in CAP doesnt want to be a mission pilot, dont justuse us for a flying club. become an O ride pilot or something. I wasnt a Mission pilot until years later But I did do a lot of O rides for cadets. Thats the reason I am in CAP to help young experience the joy of flying. But plese dont just join because of cheap flying.

SilverEagle2

ozone,

As a former Cadet...(I actually soloed first at a CAP Solo Encampment) and a new re-upper, welcome. I took a 13 year break and came back to CAP after getting my PPL last year.

I recently finished my MO qualifications and have only a CAPF91 left for MP, but keep in mind, you are not here to get cheap time, but are here to use your new skill to serve your fellow man. The cheap time is compensation for the time spent serving.

Welcome and don't give up. There are plenty of opportunities to fly that do not involve the left seat that are just as rewarding. Get qualified in all 3 and look into Archer as well.

That should make you a better, more capable left seater when the time comes.

Good job, and wear your wings with pride (within reason)  ;D

P.S. I often do simulated engine failure landings to insure that I can. Good thing to practice often and in all airframes you fly as each will behave differently.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

WT

Ahh, Beverly Mass, brings back memories of the three days I was stuck there a few years ago with aircraft maintenance issues on a flying club airplane... 

Yes, welcome to CAP!

Well, get some more time and go to Indiana for NESA MAS to get your Mission Pilot.  As a Mission Pilot, you will be able to take advantage of all CAP has to offer!

Larry Mangum

Are you part of the Bevely unit?   I joined CAP in Beverly and spent several years as part of the Beverly squadron, before leaving it for Wing and then Washington state.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001