Framed Sectional Chart for Wall?

Started by Pylon, April 07, 2009, 05:34:52 PM

Pylon

Does anybody have a decent source or idea how to get a wall-mount frame sized for a sectional charts that has the transparent film over it, allowing people to write on it (wet erase) for planning purposes?  I've seen these types of set-ups before in flight planning rooms/ops rooms but don't know if these are all pretty much custom-built or if there are vendors for these sort of flight planning things.  An hour of Googling and several calls to vendors including Sporty's failed to turn up anything. 

I'm open to ideas.  Thanks!  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Flying Pig

Yup,

Go to a frame or poster store, and buy a frame specifically for a poster.  Usually they have a plastic/plexiglass type front with a simple aluminum frame.  You may pay a little for it, because their are so big, but you can use dry erase or Windex on it all day long. 

Rob Sherlin

A lot of office supply places have large dry erase sheets to put over materials for marking on presentations (graphs and such). I do some searching for you to find out more details.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

Rob Sherlin

I think Flying Pig had the right answer
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

Al Sayre

Best bet is to go to the local Home Depot or Lowes and buy a big sheet of 1/16th to 1/8th inch plastic (lexan/plexiglass =$$$$) and a couple of 8 ft pieces of window molding.  Cut the plactic to fit and have someone who owns a mitre saw make the frame from the molding.  VOILA!  Instant framed sectional for around $40 + the sectional(s).  Use china markers to write all over it.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Flying Pig

Quote from: Al Sayre on April 07, 2009, 05:41:17 PM
Best bet is to go to the local Home Depot or Lowes and buy a big sheet of 1/16th to 1/8th inch plastic (lexan/plexiglass =$$$$) and a couple of 8 ft pieces of window molding.  Cut the plactic to fit and have someone who owns a mitre saw make the frame from the molding.  VOILA!  Instant framed sectional for around $40 + the sectional(s).  Use china markers to write all over it.

^OOOOOOO..I like that idea.  Fits almost any CAP budget.

Trung Si Ma

I went to our local Staples Store and had them laminated for $2.50 each and will "frame" them in duct tape when I get home so that they'll still roll into a tube for storage / transportation.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

EMT-83

I used a 4 x 8 piece of plexiglas, held in place with the same style clips used to hold window screens - no frame required. It's been in place about 10 years, don't remember what it cost.

Depending on the type of plastic, be careful what you use to clean it. Glass cleaner might ruin the surface.

Eclipse

Kinko's will laminate 35" wide by "how much you got", which you can then use with dry-erase markers.

No frame means it doesn't need to be hanging when you don't need it.  This would run your about $25, whereas a poster frame from Mega-Lo Mart will probably be about $10.

"That Others May Zoom"