Main Menu

SLS and CLC

Started by DogCollar, March 17, 2009, 12:01:47 PM

DogCollar

I understand that some Wings have done SLS and CLC simultaneously.  The Chaplains' in the MER is considering holding an professional development event especially for the Chaplain Corp given the new regs for Chaplains. 

If someone has a template, or could point me towards someone who has led SLS and CLC simultaneously, I would greatly appreciate it.  I would rather not have to re-invent the wheel if at all possible.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Eclipse

That's the only way we've ever done it - simultaneously meaning SLS in one room, CLC in another an sharing
common resources.  That way you can share directors, instructors, lunch, drivers, etc.

We even have a schedule lined up now that gets the classes very close in timing, accounts for the three sessions our
Wing requires in addition to the standard curriculum, and includes slipstreamed presentations which already have the video
embedded - you just change the names of the presenters and put one presentation on your notebook(s).

PM me and I will set up up with a link to the docs, etc. - the .ppts are big because of the videos.

"That Others May Zoom"

davedove

Quote from: Eclipse on March 17, 2009, 12:30:12 PM
That's the only way we've ever done it - simultaneously meaning SLS in one room, CLC in another an sharing
common resources.  That way you can share directors, instructors, lunch, drivers, etc.

MD Wing did much the same thing last year and are doing it again this year.  All the subject matter experts and support people can all come and be shared between the two classes.  There may be an opening class that is joint, but generally the classes are separate (I can't say for certain as I had both classes already before they started this).
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

O-Rex

We do that here in FLWG too, call them 'Professional Development Weekends' or PDW-we're having one in South Florida this weekend, with a UCC to boot.

It works well because you have a pool of instructors that you can rotate to teach classes for both courses: an instructor can teach a one-hour block at the SLS then go next door and teach another subject at CLC.  You are only tying up your instructors for ONE weekend.

Another advantage is that a two Seniors looking for level 4 and 5 can knock out the instructor AND course director requirements in one weekend: you direct yours, and teach a class for your conterpart directing the other course, and vice-versa.  It's legit: you're not 'double-dipping' on your own course.

The general rule is NOT to conduct a Training Leaders of Cadets (TLC) for those pursuing the Cadet Program Specialty tracks need, on that same weekend because often it creates a schedule conflict with SLS and CLC. 

O-Rex

We do that here in FLWG too, call them 'Professional Development Weekends' or PDW-we're having one in South Florida this weekend, with a UCC to boot.

It works well because you have a pool of instructors that you can rotate to teach classes for both courses: an instructor can teach a one-hour block at the SLS then go next door and teach another subject at CLC.  You are only tying up your instructors for ONE weekend.

Another advantage is that a two Seniors looking for level 4 and 5 can knock out the instructor AND course director requirements ion the same weekend: you direct yours, and teach a class for your conterpart directing the other course, and vice-versa.  It's legit: you're not 'double-dipping' on your own course.

The general rule is NOT to conduct a Training Leaders of Cadets (TLC) which those pursuing the Cadet Program Specialty tracks need, on that same weekend because often it creates a schedule conflict with SLS and CLC. 

DogCollar

Thanks to you all.

As you know, the recent National Board meeting approved the change for chaplains professional development.  No longer are Chaplains exempt from having to take SLS and CLC in order to be promoted. 

I fully support this change.  Yet, I would note that it presents a problem for a number of Chaplains as wings most often conduct these courses over a weekend.  The great majority of Chaplains have weekend work responsibilities that would conflict with their being able to take the courses as normally scheduled.

One of the options we are looking at in the MER is to devote a major part of the Chaplain Staff College to the new professional development requirements.  If we do it this way, there are at least a couple of special challenges:

1.  The Staff College is Tue-Fri.  Will we be able to draw in enough instructors for weekday class sessions?

2.  The make up of the classes will be limited to Chaplains and CDI's.  We will miss the important dynamic of having members who are participating in many different ways in CAP.

Do you have any thoughts about how to work through these challenges?

Slim

Nothing says that any PD course has to be run on a weekend.

About a year ago, my unit ran an SLS in conjunction with our regular meeting.  Four Tuesday nights for three hours.  We had to have them start an hour earlier than the meeting to get all of the required contact time in, but it worked.  The class filled up right away (ten students), and was a success.  So much so that those folks are asking us to do a CLC using the same format.

Slim

Always Ready

^Great idea! I'm going to see if my squadron can do something like that this year because most of our SMs have other commitments on the weekends.

RiverAux

How does this square with the new curriculum for these classes?  In the old days, your ES officer would basically be giving the same presentation whether for SLS or CLC.  Now, they don't do that at all, so you're really talking about a different group of "subject matter experts".  I still think its a good idea, but is combining them still as efficient as it used to be?

Eclipse

Yes, in fact more so - most of the classes are supposed to be more discussion based than lecture, requiring general knowledge more than specific info on a given specialty or staff job.

You need to have reviewed the curriculum in advance to be a decent teacher, of course. 

Anyone who is ready to be teaching (i.e. having been in CAP long enough to have completed both SLS & CLC), should be able to do a decent job of facilitating the classes.  Though I'll grant that if you have a dead room yo need to be a better teacher than if yo have people participating.

The nice thing is that there is a very comprehensive instructor guide for each presentation - so no more of this standing in the front of the class and reading the slides.

"That Others May Zoom"

O-Rex

Quote from: Slim on March 18, 2009, 07:31:08 PM

About a year ago, my unit ran an SLS in conjunction with our regular meeting.  Four Tuesday nights for three hours.  We had to have them start an hour earlier than the meeting to get all of the required contact time in, but it worked.  The class filled up right away (ten students), and was a success.  So much so that those folks are asking us to do a CLC using the same format.

I've seen this done once: it works if you can get the participants to attend weekly meetings RELIGIOUSLY, otherwise you end up having make-up sessions ad-nauseum.

Slim

Quote from: O-Rex on March 19, 2009, 04:19:19 AM
Quote from: Slim on March 18, 2009, 07:31:08 PM

I've seen this done once: it works if you can get the participants to attend weekly meetings RELIGIOUSLY, otherwise you end up having make-up sessions ad-nauseum.

It was actually pretty easy, we just laid that expectation out in the course announcement, and reminded the students the first night.  If someone couldn't attend all four sessions, they couldn't get credit for the class.  We didn't offer any make-up sessions. 

I didn't mention it in my original post, but we drew students (and instructors) from about 6 different squadrons, in two separate groups.

Slim

Gunner C

Quote from: DogCollar on March 17, 2009, 12:01:47 PM
I understand that some Wings have done SLS and CLC simultaneously.  The Chaplains' in the MER is considering holding an professional development event especially for the Chaplain Corp given the new regs for Chaplains. 

If someone has a template, or could point me towards someone who has led SLS and CLC simultaneously, I would greatly appreciate it.  I would rather not have to re-invent the wheel if at all possible.
One of the things that the Chaplains Corps is suffering from is credibility as officers.  I think you'd be better off having them attend with the rest of the force than having a special course that only a select group can attend. The intent of the regulation change was to have chaplains integrated into the training system, not for them to continue to have their own courses.

The Chaplains' in the MER is considering . . .  :o

Hey, you guys are supposed to be smart - pluralizing with 's or s'?  Subject/verb agreement?  ;)

DogCollar

Thank you everyone.  You have been very helpful.

Gunnar...as I stated in my previous posts, I am concerned about SLS/CLC in a Chaplain Corps. only context as well.  The original proposal that went before the National Board, erroneously stated that the main reason now for requiring SLS/CLC was on-line availability.  I understand that was corrected in the meeting.  We all know that one of the purposes of SLS and CLC is for it to contain a group dynamic...thus, it will never be "on-line."

All that being said, I have not seen any other options for taking the courses in the MER except those being held as Saturday/Sunday events.  That eliminates most Chaplain participation.

I have appreciated learning that other wings and regions have offered the courses at other times and have done so successfully.  I will pass the information I have learned to our new Wing PDO.

Pylon

Quote from: DogCollar on March 20, 2009, 12:42:46 PM
Thank you everyone.  You have been very helpful.

Gunnar...as I stated in my previous posts, I am concerned about SLS/CLC in a Chaplain Corps. only context as well.  The original proposal that went before the National Board, erroneously stated that the main reason now for requiring SLS/CLC was on-line availability.  I understand that was corrected in the meeting.  We all know that one of the purposes of SLS and CLC is for it to contain a group dynamic...thus, it will never be "on-line."

All that being said, I have not seen any other options for taking the courses in the MER except those being held as Saturday/Sunday events.  That eliminates most Chaplain participation.

I have appreciated learning that other wings and regions have offered the courses at other times and have done so successfully.  I will pass the information I have learned to our new Wing PDO.

You might be surprised to find more interest than you suspect for a one-weeknight-evening-per-week format.  While most Chaplains have an obvious weekend commitment, there may very well be many others who are also otherwise engaged or employed on the weekends.  I would schedule the SLS/CLC for several weeknight evenings and promote the heck out of it within the general membership in that area;  I'm willing to  bet you get more than just Chaplain interest.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Bear in mind that an SLS/CLC does not require Wing staffers to execute, only the PDO/Wing CC's permission to hold it.

A few members who have completed their own requirements can easily be directors for you assuming they have the initiative.

"That Others May Zoom"

DogCollar

Quote from: Eclipse on March 20, 2009, 01:37:36 PM

Bear in mind that an SLS/CLC does not require Wing staffers to execute, only the PDO/Wing CC's permission to hold it.

A few members who have completed their own requirements can easily be directors for you assuming they have the initiative.

Yes, I was aware of that.  I was going to pass the idea along to her so that she can hold it out as an alternative to the weekend courses.  Thanks again.  BTW, I did PM you.  Did you get it?

Eclipse

Quote from: DogCollar on March 20, 2009, 01:45:19 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 20, 2009, 01:37:36 PM

Yes, I was aware of that.  I was going to pass the idea along to her so that she can hold it out as an alternative to the weekend courses.  Thanks again.  BTW, I did PM you.  Did you get it?

Yes - I'll try and get the materials posted up for anyone who wants it today.

"That Others May Zoom"