Main Menu

Making life easy

Started by maverik, March 09, 2009, 02:07:43 AM

maverik

Alright I have been having problems with my back and such lately and I was thinking what could I do to make life more easy in ES/ at the FOB so I want to hear your thoughts and/or experiences with certain accesories. Anything is appreciated also hammock reviews/comments would be helpful.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Eclipse

If you're having issues with your back, ditch the hammock, for starters.

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

oh okay will do anyone else have anything to make camping/ES life better?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Stonewall

Your backside hurting?  How's the frontside?  Lots of back problems can be associated with being overweight.

I'm a veteran of bacl surgery ('07) and know the pain, discomfort and hassles associated with the pain.  Go get it checked out and stay away from the hammock.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on March 09, 2009, 02:24:53 AM
Your backside hurting?  How's the frontside?  Lots of back problems can be associated with being overweight.

Ditto - herniated disks.  Weight management, stretching and perhaps some occupational therapy to address sitting position, etc.
You really should do any of that under a Dr's care, as doing the wrong thing could make it worse.

IANAD, however generally a stiff, supportive surface is better to sleep on than something like a hammock.  There are also specific sleeping positions that physical therapists literally describe as "first aid" in relation to back problems.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chicago_Pilot

I've had good luck with better shoes, accupuncture and a qualified chiropractor.  Surgery is a last resort, but it makes sense to try a few things to see what works for you!

FlyingTerp

Eclipse

Quote from: Chicago_Pilot on March 09, 2009, 02:45:51 AM
I've had good luck with better shoes, acupuncture and a qualified chiropractor.  Surgery is a last resort, but it makes sense to try a few things to see what works for you!

Be careful with Chiropractors. I know a lot of people swear by them, but make sure you don't have a physiological problem that might be made worse by manipulation.

I had a Chiropractor that was giving me serious adjustments, as well as acupuncture and electrostim therapy - all with no clinical diagnosis.  An MRI and x-rays later showed herniated disks and bone spurs.

There's not much a "cracker" can do for that, and he could have potentially made it much worse.

After several rounds of steroid injections, a couple of epidurals, and a few weeks on my back to get the disks to settle down, the fix was weight management, stretching, physical therapy and realizing when to stop what I am doing because its too much.

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

Iam going to the dr. today but I think it has something to do with my airsofting and football from jumping and getting tackled in such, I'm thinking maybe a portable cot for SAREX's  :P anyways what other  things do you guys use in the field? (I might have to get a jet boil haha.)
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

JoeTomasone

Make your pack as light as possible by finding lower weight alternatives to what you carry. 

It may be pricey, but will pay off.   I replaced a gargantuan sleeping bag with a tiny one that is 1/10th the size and a fraction of the weight.   It's only a 40 degree bag, but in FL that works - and it's maybe twice the size and weight of one or two ponchos.

I actually have what I call a "cheating" kit -- full of the heavier (but better/more convenient) items that I use when doing FTXs and other non-"real thing" bivouacs.   For instance, that has canned food like Campbell's Chunky instead of MRE's, a propane stove instead of a tiny gel-powered stove, big flashlights instead of small ones, the 8-man "Comfort Inn" tent instead of the one-man survival tent, a fold-up table and chair, air mattress, etc, etc.   

LtCol057

What, no satellite TV?  How primitive.   ;D

JoeTomasone

Quote from: LtCol057 on March 09, 2009, 04:54:45 PM
What, no satellite TV?  How primitive.   ;D

No, but I do have satellite radio.  :D

Al Sayre

Mastercard and Holiday Inn on speed dial  >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

maverik

Went to the doctor and he said no hammocks for a month, lighten my pack for CAP (I have no clue how to do lol) a.  So I may have to find lighter materials.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

gistek

Before I had to give up field ES, I reduced my 72 hour pack to a high-school book bag and fanny pack. If your backpack doesn't have a belt, the fanny pack is crucial. The belt takes the weight of the backpack off your shoulders and puts it on your hips.

I use a "space blanket" sleeping bag with a fleece bag liner. I've slept through a snowfall in it, and my "tent" was a poncho.

I chose lightweight clothing for my change of clothes. Yes, I did carry a spare BDU, but the "sweats" were thinsulate.

A camelback distributes the weight of the water better. I hung mine on the outside of my backpack when I had to carry both.

Most of my food was dried, and I boiled the water for it in a lightweight camping coffee pot. (bulky, but I packed other stuff inside) I used paper bowls and plastic spoons to eat. (lightweight and disposable)

My 24hr "pack" was the fanny pack plus the camelback. I also made good use of the cargo pockets on my pants.

Some things can be carried in boot sheaths.

Finally, pack your gear and live off it for a weekend around your house. Take a good hard look at anything you don't use. Make sure it's something you are likely to need. If you won't need it, leave it. This will also help you add a few things you forgot to pack.

Regarding your back, please have a doctor check it out. Extra weight is often the culprit, but there are other things that can cause back pain. Physical therapy and pain management can help with many of them, and the surgeries have come a very long way. I had three cervical vertebrae fused on Feb 20th and am up doing fine now. There's a very good chance I'll be approved to participate in all except high impact PT by the summer.