All Regs and Publications

Started by Senior, March 05, 2009, 07:16:37 PM

Senior

Is their a fast way to determine how many pages all the Regs, Pubs and Pamphlets would be for printing purposes?

I know it is on-line, but I would like a hard copy set when I am not around a computer.   ;D

lordmonar

probably around 500+ double sided.  The old Regs Book was a good 4-5 inches thick.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Senior

WIWAC I had a set of mine for the SDA, etc..  I got rid of all that stuff because,"I'm done with CAP(burned out)"  I wish I had kept at least some
of that stuff.  I remember carrying that big thing to meetings, that got old
quickly.

davidsinn

12 inches thick. We have one. Dated mid last year. Half of it needs thrown out because they keep changing things. Heck my DIGITAL library is out of date because they keep changing stuff so often. I really wish they'd only publish things twice a month.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Cecil DP

If CAP still sells the regs, it would be cheaper to buy it than the trouble of burning out  a couple of reams of paper and a toner cartridge. Then all you have to do is print out changes.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

davidsinn

Quote from: Cecil DP on March 05, 2009, 09:13:57 PM
If CAP still sells the regs, it would be cheaper to buy it than the trouble of burning out  a couple of reams of paper and a toner cartridge. Then all you have to do is print out changes.

They don't. Heck the AF doesn't even print 36-2203 anymore.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Short Field

Unless you are just into tree-cutting, keep your "offical" set of regs electronic.  If an individual wants to print out a copy for his own use, fine.    However, to print out regs that will not get looked at in the next year is a waste of ink and paper.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

SJFedor

Quote from: Senior on March 05, 2009, 07:16:37 PM
Is their a fast way to determine how many pages all the Regs, Pubs and Pamphlets would be for printing purposes?

I know it is on-line, but I would like a hard copy set when I am not around a computer.   ;D

Print out the ones you would absolutely positively need. So, maybe 39-1, 60-1 (if you're a pilot, FRO, or IC), and 60-3 if you're ES inclined. Other then that, I can't imagine you'd have a huge need for anything else, unless it's specifically related to your job/speciality track.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

gistek

How about downloading them to a PDA that has pdf capability? Then it'd be very easy to update as needed, be available offline, weigh only a few ounces, and probably even be searchable.

ol'fido

How big a file would all the regs and pubs be?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Short Field

The zipped file is 17.4 Meg.    My Regs & Pubs folder has 61.5 Meg in it but that includes two sets of zipped files of old regs that are at least 30 Meg.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

EMT-83

I've got 48.3 MB on my thumb drive, including ICLs and Wing suppliments.

davidsinn

Quote from: gistek on March 05, 2009, 11:05:31 PM
How about downloading them to a PDA that has pdf capability? Then it'd be very easy to update as needed, be available offline, weigh only a few ounces, and probably even be searchable.

I've got a Palm M130 set up for that. The CPU is a bit small for searching and some of the pdf's don't come across right but it does work for the most part.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

LtCol057

Personally, I keep my set of regs and publications on my 4Gig flashdrive. Makes it easy to update and move from laptop to desktop. 

I also found several years ago, that even if a reg becomes obsolete, it's still a good idea to keep it on file. Sometimes the new version doesn't have some useful info in it. For example, an old version of the cadet programs reg had job descriptions for encampment staff. Newer versions don't have that info.

Keeping the regs and pubs in an electronic version is one thing that's allowed in the SUI.  I make it a policy that I check the 1st of every month for any updates.