Landing at Maxwell (KMXF)

Started by flyguy06, February 18, 2009, 04:48:54 PM

flyguy06

Are we authorized to land CAP aircraft at Maxwell AFB? I did a cross country to Montgomery yesterday and flew right over Maxwell, It got me to thinking, Hmm. NHQ is down there. Why shouldnt we be allowed to land corporate aircraft at the corporate HQ? I also used to belong to a Navy Flying club and because there was an Aero club (its closed down now) there, we could land our aircraft there.

FW

Of course you may land a corporate aircraft at Maxwell.  Just remember to get a PPR number first or else you will be paying an extra $200 landing fee and a visit with the base security detail.

flyguy06

Eclipse

Doesn't that require approval by CAP-USAF in advance? 

Perhaps the rules are different because we have a command at Maxwell, but I know to land on the mil-spec side at Scott we need prior CAP-USAF approval.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

AT most military airfields, you need a PPR in order to land General aviation aircraft there. I had to do that when I tok the Navy Club's 172 from Dobbins AFB to Maxwell a few years ago. Also,if youlook in the A/FD, it will state wheather or not a PPR is required or not

SilverEagle2

That is a good question. We had no issues taking off and landing at MAXWELL during archer training. However, we originated there. Not sure if a "CAPFLIGHT" name would get you the same treatment. Would be interested in finding out.

AOPA directory says you need to have permission to use and to call Base Manager.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Flying Pig

OK...while were at it.

Lemoore Naval Air Station in Coalinga CA.  After midnight, the tower closes and airspace becomes Class E. Its not a restricted area and the MOA goes off line at midnight as well. 
During the day its Class D.  So Im assuming that after midnight I can sail right over the base and all of the F-18's at 1000 ft?  Would I?  No. But I guess I could legally right?  Just seems, uncool.

SilverEagle2

I overfly Hill Class D all the time at night. However, I am in contact with SLC approach the whole time. Sometimes I transition through Hill Class D and talk to Hill tower.

Pretty sure that is normal and typical. However, I am sure that I would not be granted a landing unless previously granted permission or and emergency. I am however trying to get ramp clearance for the upcoming airshow to land and park on the ramp. Much better than the hassles of driving, parking, walking... ;)
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Gunner C

I've always wondered what PPR stands for. . .

MSgt Van

Gunner C

es_g0d

Contact your state director to obtain a PPR number.  He/she will call Maxwell base ops and relay the information to you.  You should add the PPR to the remarks of your flight plan.  If I were landing a civil airplane at a military field, I would file a flight plan even though its not technically required.  I'd probably even file IFR so the tower would close it for me!

I haven't seen it since I was flying out of Columbus AFB, but I seem to remember that there is a list of approved military airfields for CAP.

The bottom line is that any military airfield is not a whimsical location to land.  Unless you're a glutton for punishment and hassle, you ought to have a good reason for going there.  Only selected military airfields have compatible fuel available.  They're great emergency airfields though!
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

DG

I have flown into Maxwell several times.

Sure beats driving from the airport in Birmingham or Atlanta.

And you can virtually taxi up to the AF Inn.

Then when it is time to return home, your airplane is right there waiting for you.

sparks

Does Maxwell have 100LL available???

MSgt Van

Airport Services
Fuel available:  100LL 115 JET-B+
Airframe service:  MAJOR
Powerplant service:  MAJOR
Bulk oxygen:  HIGH/LOW

es_g0d

100LL is often tied to viable aero clubs.  The Air Force is semi-actively trying to get rid of aero clubs, so the number of AF fields with available fuel is dwindling.  Truly a shame.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

PHall

Quote from: es_g0d on February 21, 2009, 01:32:50 AM
100LL is often tied to viable aero clubs.  The Air Force is semi-actively trying to get rid of aero clubs, so the number of AF fields with available fuel is dwindling.  Truly a shame.

They're getting rid of the Aero Clubs that don't support themselves.
Many of them are nothing more then places to shovel MWR money into.

flyguy06

The Last time I flew a Gen aviation aircraft into Maxwell was in 2004, when I flew the 172 from our navy Flying Club in Atlanta to Maxwell. I went to fly the Maxwell Aero Club Aztec. The Aero club closed ddown in 2007 unfortunantly.

Youare right, the Air Force ( and the Navy) are getting rid of clubs lifet and right. The Aero Club at Robins AFB got rid of their main attraction, the Baron and I havent heard much about them since.