Carrying an Amateur Radio Repeater Aloft...

Started by Nomex Maximus, January 30, 2009, 09:24:18 PM

RiverAux

Quote from: SJFedor on January 31, 2009, 07:09:20 PM
Keep in mind that if we're flying equipment not owned by CAP on any mission where the pilot isn't paying for the bird, that pilot has to be commercially rated.
I suppose it would depend on whether this would qualify as a "transportation flight".  As I understood it, with carrying people those rules kick in when the person is being transported from point A to point B but not if we're taking person from point A, doing a mission, and then returning back to point A.  I would think the same would apply to people. 

lordmonar

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on January 31, 2009, 05:18:52 PM
What I am suggesting is that we carry a piece of equipment that "they" provide that once activated requires no further interaction from us. That equipment will function as an amateur radio repeater carrying only amateur radio business. It just so happens that the hams are then able to use that equipment to serve the local emergency services - Red Cross, Fire Department, Salvation Army, whatever.

Okay.....to be technical.....RACES is not hams doing ham buisness.  It is hams doing EMERGENCY SERVICES buisness.

Yes having an airbourn repeater would be good thing.   Getting an MOU to fly their equipment would be a good thing.  BUYING their equipment in the hope that we could get an MOU and/or more missions at some later date would be BAD thing.

As I said before.....do the leg work.  Work with your local ES office, RACES guys and your wing ES Officer and get the MOU hammered out. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JoeTomasone

Quote from: lordmonar on January 31, 2009, 09:06:37 PM
As I said before.....do the leg work.  Work with your local ES office, RACES guys and your wing ES Officer and get the MOU hammered out. 

And then go work with the radio club who in most cases owns the repeater.   

MSgt Van

{please dont' let someone ask about a new badge...}

:-\

arajca

Quote from: MSgt Van on January 31, 2009, 10:39:50 PM

Now that you  mention it... :angel:

RogueLeader

Quote from: MSgt Van on January 31, 2009, 10:39:50 PM

You just had to bring it up. . . . .

I don't see how this would be any different than any other special type of mission.  Just follow the rules and a great service can be done.  Think of the posative recognition that would shine from the Government and fed Agencies that we help out.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

We already have this type of mission.  It is called Highbird.  No special training required.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

billford1

If you operate radio equipment in an A/C  it is important to consider that flight safety could be raised as a question if the radio used is not authorized for use in that aircraft. If you have a battery powered radio in the A/C and use it in an emergency when nothing else works there is perhaps less concern if the A/C is flying VFR. If the A/C is flying IFR (navigating by radio) and there is a mishap in flight be sure that an investigation would raise the question about how the transmitted signals by the portable radio could have impacted the operation of the VOR and ILS equipment. To install any radio for use in an A/C the airplane manufacturer is required to be in the conversation to assure airworthiness. Installation of any additional radio in the A/C requires an STC (Supplemental Type Certificate) for that radio installation. The approval process will also require that the equipment be installed by an FAA Certified Air Repair Station.

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: billford1 on January 31, 2009, 11:58:16 PM
If you operate radio equipment in an A/C  it is important to consider that flight safety could be raised as a question if the radio used is not authorized for use in that aircraft. If you have a battery powered radio in the A/C and use it in an emergency when nothing else works there is perhaps less concern if the A/C is flying VFR. If the A/C is flying IFR (navigating by radio) and there is a mishap in flight be sure that an investigation would raise the question about how the transmitted signals by the portable radio could have impacted the operation of the VOR and ILS equipment. To install any radio for use in an A/C the airplane manufacturer is required to be in the conversation to assure airworthiness. Installation of any additional radio in the A/C requires an STC (Supplemental Type Certificate) for that radio installation. The approval process will also require that the equipment be installed by an FAA Certified Air Repair Station.

Not installed - carried as payload - just like the CAP highbird repeater. Turn it off when conducting an approach.
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

SarDragon

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on February 01, 2009, 01:24:36 AM
Quote from: billford1 on January 31, 2009, 11:58:16 PM

Not installed - carried as payload - just like the CAP highbird repeater. Turn it off when conducting an approach.

Which brings me to ask - how and where are you going to mount the antenna(e)? Anything attached to the aircraft generally needs an STC.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

KyCAP

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=7149.0 See my post tonight.

While ARES has it's mission and like most say have enough repeaters.. Well..

22 of the guards "hardened" sites were out Saturday and 46 of the Ky Emergency Warning Systems "hardened" site were down.  I am assuming that there were "more" amateur sites down and many still down.  Our mission is carrying the Guard's payload.

Ky Wing has had the antennae for this mission installed on our aircraft for this mission for 10 years for our CD and New Madrid earthquake plans.   To my knowledge all new aircraft also have FM antenna installed by Yingling Avionincs and a dual voltage 24/12 3 pin connector to enable the airborne repeaters that were bought for all wings over a year ago.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing