DR Mission in SE Missouri

Started by Senior, February 01, 2009, 03:12:02 AM

Senior

SEMA has requested that MOWG CAP extend service until Feb. 6, 09.
Going go door-to-door and shelter support.  SE Missouri and into Northern Arkansas was hit by a heavy ice storm last weekend.  Up to 2.5 inches of ice blanketed the area.  That is all the info I have :-\

Gunner C

Quote from: Senior on February 01, 2009, 03:12:02 AM
SEMA has requested that MOWG CAP extend service until Feb. 6, 09.
Going go door-to-door and shelter support.  SE Missouri and into Northern Arkansas was hit by a heavy ice storm last weekend.  Up to 2.5 inches of ice blanketed the area.  That is all the info I have :-\
Great missions!  Not everything is going to have airplanes.  As FEMA gets to trust us more the better and better the missions will be.

BTW, did you mean FEMA?  I'm not familiar with SEMA.

Senior

SEMA: State Emergency Management Agency, not a part of FEMA. ;)

SarDragon

Quote from: Senior on February 01, 2009, 03:30:13 AM
SEMA: State Emergency Management Agency, not a part of FEMA. ;)

When you use acronyms and initialisms, it's best to spell them out the first time you use them if they are not totally obvious to the rest of us. I, personally, was wondering what Speed Equipment Manufacturers Association had to do with the topic.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cap235629

Arkansas Wing hasn't been tasked to do a thing
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

JoeTomasone

Anyone in KY Wing?  I hear that they are in a bad way in those parts.

RedFox24

Kentucky Emergency Net (Ham-ARES) 3.960

Has been pretty active, interesting listening to the reports.  Still certain counties were there is limited comms...............and message handling is a chore. 

Our EMA sent the ITECS trailer down to Paducah.............Sat phones are having trouble as well as digital comms with some problems.  VHF and HF still making the haul. 
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

ltcmark

Indiana is on a mission to support the Red Cross in Evansville, IN (Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois borders).  Currently, it is just the local squadron helping with shelter relocations.

Southwestern and southern Indiana had over 95,000 without power at one point.

Senior

Update from MOWG CAP.  Email today stated that CAP involvement will be
scaled back to 2 GT.  Some aerial recon but not a major part of the mission.
SEMA has had high praise for the professionalism displayed by CAP members. :clap: :clap:

KyCAP

All..

First this is not a RELEASE, but just anecdotal information that is out there in the public domain.

First night with power back on here in the "central part of KY" where I live.   Went off-line last Wednesday morning around 1A.

Ky EM and KY NG requested CAP support on Saturday afternoon.  I took the KyEM support request from my house as IC and handed off to MAJ Koob (incumbent Wing CC) yesterday. At that point I transferred to the EOC and JOC as Agency Liasion with LTC Rue who deployed there on my request Sat afternoon.

Commonwealth has already spent $45 million in support on the state.   250,000 still without power down from 700,000.  24 dead and 2 saves by National Guard related to the Winter Storm.

http://bluegrasspolitics.bloginky.com/2009/02/02/beshear-asks-obama-to-pay-costs-for-storms-first-week/

CAP is carrying Ky NG repeaters for ground troops and will receive two more retuned and programed by NTC in the morning.   Also highbird support for rotary assets of the guard for their flight following.

We have been tasked by KY EM for aerial intelligence gathering of 22 counties looking for infrastructure problems on roads and power grids.   Images coming across today were depicting power lines down all over the counties.   

Flown multiple judge executive's offices for damage assesment and power line officials as well.

We have support from IL, and IN wings today and OH wings tomorrow (I think).   We have other requests into the NOC for support and they are assisting our Command Staff at the EOC and Wing HQ. 

We literally had to dig the planes out of the ice and snow.  There are pictures out there and maybe some of our more productive members can produce them or I will when I can circle back around for them.

All, you can be proud of the Volunteers in CAP in this mission.  They are working HARD every day and there's more to do.   I have had to back out because I have to head to Tampa for work tomorrow and back Wed.

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Eclipse

Quote from: KyCAP on February 03, 2009, 05:22:15 AM
We have support from IL, and IN wings today and OH wings tomorrow (I think).   We have other requests into the NOC for support and they are assisting our Command Staff at the EOC and Wing HQ. 

OLA from KYWG! - sitting in the FOB waiting for tasking!

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

Quote from: KyCAP on February 03, 2009, 05:22:15 AM
All, you can be proud of the Volunteers in CAP in this mission.  They are working HARD every day and there's more to do.   I have had to back out because I have to head to Tampa for work tomorrow and back Wed.

(Waving "hi" from Tampa)

Here's hoping that everyone stays warm and the Form 108 monster freezes to death. 

brasda91

Paducah is the focal point here in west ky.  I have been able to assist here and there.  My wife is out of town on business and I have my 2 yr old, so my participation is greatly reduced.  Air Ops is being coordinated in our new Reserve Center, which is just across the field from the FBO.  The county Emergency Operations Center (EOC) in McCracken Co. is being run from my vol. fire dept.  The Paducah Squadron has been helping man the EOC as a CAP liaison, off and on over the last few days.  I went to a neighboring county EOC meeting Sat. morning and gave a briefing on what resources the state can provide.  Sunday afternoon, our county EOC had their regular EOC briefing.  I was told to sit up front.  The officials from the various depts. gave a status update with their dept.  I was able to do the same.

GT missions have yet to be given.  It all comes down to you being able to go to your various ems and local government officials and explain what type of taskings your GT's can do.  Examples based off of this disaster: man distribution centers, help with door-to-door welfare checks, radio ops at your EOC, transport emergency officials, etc.  This ice storm knocked out power to everybody in 22-23 counties.  This happened a week ago tonight and there are still people and businesses without power.  Some will be without power for up to 2 more weeks, maybe longer.  I'm one of the lucky ones.  My power went out last Tuesday afternoon and came back on last Friday afternoon.  Internet came back up yesterday.

This disaster has everyone working together.  If you haven't contacted your local sheriff, police, Red Cross, volunteer fire dept/s, the county disaster and emergency services (DES) organizations, start now.  And by local, I mean all of the counties around you, not just the one you live in.  I was scheduled to attend our local county Homeland Security meeting yesterday, but this "event" canceled it.  The county DES director was going to sit down with me afterwards and learn more about CAP.

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.  We will survive!!
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Senior

Good job everyone.  We need all the good PR we can get. :clap: :clap:

mfantroy

I am manning the EOC in Dunklin County for the American Red Cross and also making sure everyone knows about CAP. I know we got some aerial shots that were taken and everyone seemed impressed by the work that was done.

Nomex Maximus

Me here in MIWG waiting to be called...
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Eclipse

A pic from the EOC at Paducah airport.  Everyone here from the ARC to the NG has been great, treating us like partners and
making us feel welcome.  Ditto for all the air and ops people we've dealt with from KYWG and INWG.

At the hotel last night everyone was all smiles and thanks for the help

From a destruction standpoint, what we've seen is not as "exciting" as what we saw in MS, but as the all the trees down there were pushed over at the root ball, the ones here are broken off at the limbs.  The only places we've seen any building damage is the random home or business with the bad fortune to be under a large limb when it broke.

The weather was warm enough before we got here that most of the snow and ice is gone, which is sort of surreal considering why we are here.

It clear and really cold.  Getting down here was pretty hairy with white-out conditions in many parts of the state.

Glad we could come down and play.

And I met my first out of state CAPTalker today in brasda91!

"That Others May Zoom"

brasda91

^ Dang, wish you had said something.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

KyCAP

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

KyCAP

Also, just an update. 1st AF granted Auxiliary Status earlier in the week.  We have ground teams out working with the door to door welfare checks.  One such house discovered a elderly lady who was scared and afraid.   They were able to evacuate her to her daughters custody.  Could be counted as a save.

I've attached some images from where we had to have Blue Grass Airport maintenance use a backhoe and their maintenance crews to level the ice to tug the planes into a hangar to de-ice them.

I took the first two images and Jim Combs of Blue Grass Senior Squadron took the two of the pre-deicing earlier in the day.  It took nearly 8 hours to dig out in the combined efforts of about 10 CAP members and 4 TAC-Air employees.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing